Pitbull with breathing problems.

Breed: pit bull
My daughter rescued a pit bull a few years ago. He has been an amazing dog. However, he is now about 11 yrs. old and has been having alot of breathing problems. His breathing sounds very wet, and although he eats well he has been losing weight. She is a single parent and, honestly, can not afford the vet charges in our city. Is there anything she can do at home to make him more comfortable? He was also used as a fighting dog if that information helps any. Thank you very much

I'm sorry to hear that Shugg is having these problems. What you have described really has me concerned.

While I can't say for sure what is going on without examining him, if it sounds like he has fluid in his lungs there is a high chance that he has heart disease. This can also cause significant weight loss.

It doesn't sound like these symptoms are related to his history with fights.

Unfortunately there is not a lot that I can suggest without a vet visit. Do you think that perhaps she could afford at least a visit to the vet? Ideally the best thing for Shugg would be to have some xrays done. However, if your vet can tell that there is fluid in the lungs they may be willing to prescribe a diuretic (fluid pills) without taking xrays.

Unfortunately if there is heart disease then there is no cure for this. There are heart medicines that can help but they do tend to be expensive, especially for large dogs.

She may want to look into companies like Medicard or Care Credit which help people make payment plans with vets.

I hope this helps.

Blood in urine. I can not afford to take her to a vet...so here I am. I have just noticed while... (7722 views)

Boxer having seizures. Questions about seizures and MRI. Hello, My question is VERY similar to the... (5144 views)

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (6418 views)

Debris on cat's eye. Good afternoon! My cat seems to be having eye issues. 6 months ago I took her to... (8803 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (10578 views)

Anal sac abscess. my dogs butt is very pouched out and red and leaking pus what can i do for my little... (9465 views)

Puppy chewing legs and licking penis Harley chews on himself constantly. He likes his penis, he chews on his legs,... (7097 views)

Brown spots and hair loss. Hi again Dr. Marie, My 6 year old Golden Retriever is itchy. I noticed that she... (10750 views)

Parvo and hookworms. Last Monday, I got this puppy, a miniature doxen. Well, the first few days he was a... (18576 views)

Dog is limping. Denaro has had a limp in his left front leg for about a month, it goes from a... (11418 views)