Pitbull with breathing problems.

Breed: pit bull
My daughter rescued a pit bull a few years ago. He has been an amazing dog. However, he is now about 11 yrs. old and has been having alot of breathing problems. His breathing sounds very wet, and although he eats well he has been losing weight. She is a single parent and, honestly, can not afford the vet charges in our city. Is there anything she can do at home to make him more comfortable? He was also used as a fighting dog if that information helps any. Thank you very much

I'm sorry to hear that Shugg is having these problems. What you have described really has me concerned.

While I can't say for sure what is going on without examining him, if it sounds like he has fluid in his lungs there is a high chance that he has heart disease. This can also cause significant weight loss.

It doesn't sound like these symptoms are related to his history with fights.

Unfortunately there is not a lot that I can suggest without a vet visit. Do you think that perhaps she could afford at least a visit to the vet? Ideally the best thing for Shugg would be to have some xrays done. However, if your vet can tell that there is fluid in the lungs they may be willing to prescribe a diuretic (fluid pills) without taking xrays.

Unfortunately if there is heart disease then there is no cure for this. There are heart medicines that can help but they do tend to be expensive, especially for large dogs.

She may want to look into companies like Medicard or Care Credit which help people make payment plans with vets.

I hope this helps.

Swollen painful gums. Stomatitis? Other vets have been trying to figure out what is wrong, or how to help Yoko. Her... (14020 views)

Contagious diarrhea? please bare with me as this is gonna be kind of long... about 2 weeks ago i had... (6250 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my... (6660 views)

Best flea preventive for cats. Bella is an indoor/outdoor cat; free to roam during the day, but we keep her in at... (4321 views)

Calcification in the lungs. dog lung calcification Dear Dr.Mari, I hear some bad sounds whenever my dog... (5673 views)

Tapeworm pictures in a dog. I just discovered my dog has worms in her poop. She sleeps on our bed and where she... (32731 views)

Bump in dog's mouth. My dog was taken for a walk her ball went under a car, she retreived her ball... (6782 views)

Puppies with dandruff. We got 5 puppies from a friend of mine and the puppies have hair loss itching and it... (6192 views)

Hair loss on a boxer. I've had Kizzie for two years. She's a vibrant and playful dog. Recently, I've... (11860 views)

Thin older cat. Dr. Marie, My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also... (10269 views)