Pitbull with breathing problems.

Breed: pit bull
My daughter rescued a pit bull a few years ago. He has been an amazing dog. However, he is now about 11 yrs. old and has been having alot of breathing problems. His breathing sounds very wet, and although he eats well he has been losing weight. She is a single parent and, honestly, can not afford the vet charges in our city. Is there anything she can do at home to make him more comfortable? He was also used as a fighting dog if that information helps any. Thank you very much

I'm sorry to hear that Shugg is having these problems. What you have described really has me concerned.

While I can't say for sure what is going on without examining him, if it sounds like he has fluid in his lungs there is a high chance that he has heart disease. This can also cause significant weight loss.

It doesn't sound like these symptoms are related to his history with fights.

Unfortunately there is not a lot that I can suggest without a vet visit. Do you think that perhaps she could afford at least a visit to the vet? Ideally the best thing for Shugg would be to have some xrays done. However, if your vet can tell that there is fluid in the lungs they may be willing to prescribe a diuretic (fluid pills) without taking xrays.

Unfortunately if there is heart disease then there is no cure for this. There are heart medicines that can help but they do tend to be expensive, especially for large dogs.

She may want to look into companies like Medicard or Care Credit which help people make payment plans with vets.

I hope this helps.

Excessive drooling. My Puggle started drooling a few days ago and I assumed she had gotten a red ant or... (25730 views)

My dog ate goose poop. Dr, Max was walking in the park today and picked up what I believe was an old... (137000 views)

Found bug in dog's ear. Hello, My name is Karroll I have a 4 year old Chihuahua. Lattly he has been... (12436 views)

Advil for arthritis? Can you give advil or store brand anti-inflammatories for arthritis or do you have... (21243 views)

Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma. i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed... (14991 views)

Bleach for parvo? My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little... (24701 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (21345 views)

Pus filled lump on boxer. Hello, About four days ago, we noticed what looked like a cut on our male boxer's... (7692 views)

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (7760 views)

My dog is bleeding. I adopted my dog from a local shelter as a puppy of 12 weeks. they said that due to... (14743 views)