Pitbull with breathing problems.

Breed: pit bull
My daughter rescued a pit bull a few years ago. He has been an amazing dog. However, he is now about 11 yrs. old and has been having alot of breathing problems. His breathing sounds very wet, and although he eats well he has been losing weight. She is a single parent and, honestly, can not afford the vet charges in our city. Is there anything she can do at home to make him more comfortable? He was also used as a fighting dog if that information helps any. Thank you very much

I'm sorry to hear that Shugg is having these problems. What you have described really has me concerned.

While I can't say for sure what is going on without examining him, if it sounds like he has fluid in his lungs there is a high chance that he has heart disease. This can also cause significant weight loss.

It doesn't sound like these symptoms are related to his history with fights.

Unfortunately there is not a lot that I can suggest without a vet visit. Do you think that perhaps she could afford at least a visit to the vet? Ideally the best thing for Shugg would be to have some xrays done. However, if your vet can tell that there is fluid in the lungs they may be willing to prescribe a diuretic (fluid pills) without taking xrays.

Unfortunately if there is heart disease then there is no cure for this. There are heart medicines that can help but they do tend to be expensive, especially for large dogs.

She may want to look into companies like Medicard or Care Credit which help people make payment plans with vets.

I hope this helps.

Costco Kirkland flea product Hello We have 2 American Bulldogs. We have been using Frontline for a few years... (10557 views)

Cat losing clumps of fur Our beloved 9 yo old male cat Gretzkey is ripping his hair out in clumps. Our house... (38515 views)

Wart on a cat? Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten... (15269 views)

Coughing blood and mucus. Marvin has been periodically coughing up mucus with blood in it. He has a tumor of... (28029 views)

Dog going blind. Our dog Vinnie started suddenly to become lethargic and then over a period of 4... (6165 views)

Rat with facial swelling. My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has... (17785 views)

Relation of weight to skin problems. I understand that you are a very busy person but i am currently inrolled in the... (5944 views)

Recipe for skunk odor. My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the... (8731 views)

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (6918 views)

Aggressive dog torn nail Lincoln split his nail 2 weeks ago. I put Neosporin on it and wrapped it with a... (8225 views)