Pitbull with breathing problems.

Breed: pit bull
My daughter rescued a pit bull a few years ago. He has been an amazing dog. However, he is now about 11 yrs. old and has been having alot of breathing problems. His breathing sounds very wet, and although he eats well he has been losing weight. She is a single parent and, honestly, can not afford the vet charges in our city. Is there anything she can do at home to make him more comfortable? He was also used as a fighting dog if that information helps any. Thank you very much

I'm sorry to hear that Shugg is having these problems. What you have described really has me concerned.

While I can't say for sure what is going on without examining him, if it sounds like he has fluid in his lungs there is a high chance that he has heart disease. This can also cause significant weight loss.

It doesn't sound like these symptoms are related to his history with fights.

Unfortunately there is not a lot that I can suggest without a vet visit. Do you think that perhaps she could afford at least a visit to the vet? Ideally the best thing for Shugg would be to have some xrays done. However, if your vet can tell that there is fluid in the lungs they may be willing to prescribe a diuretic (fluid pills) without taking xrays.

Unfortunately if there is heart disease then there is no cure for this. There are heart medicines that can help but they do tend to be expensive, especially for large dogs.

She may want to look into companies like Medicard or Care Credit which help people make payment plans with vets.

I hope this helps.

Red swollen paw. My cat's paw is red and swollen. The middle toes are swelling so they appear to be... (21837 views)

Cat with megacolon. My 12-year old cat was diagnosed with megacolon about five years ago. When he looks... (8864 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (10161 views)

Female dog humping. My female pit bull everyday, anytime I lay down on my couch or bed, she jumps up on... (10957 views)

Trouble walking. On Wednesday evening we called our dogs for dinnertime, and our 10 year old Alaskan... (21545 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (11973 views)

Thumping back legs. My cat started throwing up Sunday. Yesterday he started thumping his back feet and... (29182 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (24672 views)

Vomiting kittens. I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had... (24110 views)

Itchy dog. This is a follow on of a question past #2740. Choo Choo's itch has continued all... (8745 views)