Iverheart Plus and Max.

Breed: aussie cattle dog
i have been giving my dog Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention; i recently switched to a generic heartworm medication. i ordered Iverhart Plus and received Iverhart Max; which has an added medication to prevent tapeworm. i have not administered this medication yet. she is due her next dose at the end of june. my question: is it safe to give her the Iverhart Max with the added tapeworm protection or should i try to get Iverhart Plus?

Either of these drugs would be safe to give.

Both of these drugs contain ivermectin which can be dangerous to collies or border collies (but probably not aussies), but only if given in really large amounts. The amount of ivermectin in heartworm prevention is safe for collies.

The main difference between Iverhart Max and Plus is that Max will cover tapeworms and Plus will cover whipworms. Personally I would be more concerned about whipworms as they can be hard to detect. Dogs can only get tapeworms if they have ingested an infected flea or mouse or possibly rabbit.

However, either drug is good for heartworm and safe to give.

Cat vomiting and not eating. Hi Dr. Marie...I wonder if you could help me figure out if my cat is really sick. ... (27594 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hi Dr. Marie! Spanky is 5 years old and very healthy. His energy is good and, as... (37324 views)

Genetic defects in a puppy. my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny... (9962 views)

Should I help a sick vole? I know you only answer questions about dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs,... (8829 views)

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Hi, My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am... (36485 views)

Brain tumor or epilepsy? Hi Dr. Marie I have a yellow lab named Sam He experienced seizures twice... (9797 views)

Dog is scratching his ear. For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on... (15020 views)

Light colored diarrhea. Yesterday my husband and I purchased our new family addition and his brother. Last... (29684 views)

Hamster skin problems. Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from... (15137 views)

Melanoma in mouth of dog. My dog has melanoma for the second time. She first got it in her mouth about two... (14196 views)