Anal tumor.

Breed: Labrador Retriever
I have an 8 year old male labrador retriever, we has terrible hips problems in which we have known but the problem is that he seems to have a tumor like thing stick out of his anus, I have looked up on it and I think it's a annal tumor, But not sure. And I was wondering if you could help me decide what it is mostly like and what would be the best solution to help him.

I'm so sorry that you didn't get your response last night. It looks like you were typing in your question just as I went offline. I usually wait for 20 minutes after I turn my status off and last night I didn't. I am so sorry. I will definitely refund your money for you.

Your question is a tough one to answer without examining Duke. There are several different kinds of anal tumors. The only way to tell whether they are cancerous or not is to do a biopsy on it and send that away to a pathologist.

One type of tumor that dogs can get is something called a perianal adenoma. These tumors are benign and don't cause any discomfort whatsoever to the dog. We usually recommend doing surgery to remove them so that they don't get so big that they start affecting the muscle of the anus.

But, it could also be a perianal adenocarcinoma. These are cancerous and can spread to other parts of the body.

The best advice I can give you is to have your veterinarian take a look at him and help you to decide whether surgery is a good idea or whether you should just keep an eye on him.

Again, I am so sorry that I wasn't online to answer your question last night!

Alright thank you very much, my parents don't really want to take them in but their in Spain right now so my grandmother and I are going to make an appointment for him. Hopefully I can find some money around the house to take him.

Thank You,

My dog is bleeding. I adopted my dog from a local shelter as a puppy of 12 weeks. they said that due to... (10154 views)

Itchy cat. My cat is male, age 5 and generally very healthy. A while ago I noticed him biting... (6615 views)

Recall on Hill's food? My cat got I'll suddenly three weeks ago. Committing, lethargy, diarrhea , lack of... (3937 views)

Vomiting and elevated liver enzymes. Hi Dr. Marie, I don't know the appropriate name for my dog's breed, but I have... (20501 views)

Sensitive tail and belly. My cat was spayed almost 5 months ago, and I've noticed since then, that she does... (3487 views)

Dog eats grapes. Hi. I live in rural Peru and have three dogs. I am writing regarding the oldest who... (4729 views)

Testicular and splenic masses. My 9 year old Golden Retriever had enlarged testicles with no other symptoms. I took... (6937 views)

Sedative after heartworm treatment? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 and a half year old boxer/lab that is being treated... (11433 views)

Kittens nursing on cat's penis. i"m raising 4 abandoned kittens they are now eating food and I give them kitten... (13107 views)

Salt lick for dogs? My dog is constantly licking things (windows, sprinkler heads, feet, floors, ect)... (39315 views)