Dentistry on older cat.

Breed: DSH
My cat, who is a 19 year old spayed male we have had his entire life is fairly healthy. He moves around ok, jumps up on the counter etc. We feed him on the counter because of the dogs, he gets Fancy Feast twice a day and eats some dry food but not much. His teeth are not in great condition but the vet didnt seem overly concerned, maybe because hes to old to do teeth extractions? Anyway, he will only drink very warm water, another reason he hangs out on the counter, I figure the cold water hurts his teeth. My questions are, is he to old to put him through having his teeth removed? He seems healthy in every other way. Except one other thing. After he drinks the water, he"ll meow real loud for about 20 seconds, like his stomache or his teeth hurt. But he doesnt do it when he eats. Any ideas?

First of all, congratulations on having a 19 year old cat. This is definitely older than average!

I have seen a number of cases like this where an older cat has severe dental issues. It's often a tough call on what to do.

The first thing I recommend is always to have some blood tests done. (At this age your vet would not do an anesthetic without having bloodwork done first.) If there are no major problems on the blood tests, then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend dental surgery.

Where we run into concerns are when we have an older animal that also has, for example, a significant kidney or liver problem. However, in most cases, if the animal is acting healthy and eating well, we can still be very safe with our anesthetic. In cases like this the vet would change the anesthetic protocol to use drugs that are not processed by the affected organs.

The main factor, however, when we make this decision is usually a financial one. Having dental work with extractions done is usually a little pricey. You could be looking at anywhere from $400 to $1400 to do this. If we play the odds, a 19 year old cat may not live a whole lot longer. That may be a lot of money to spend if we only have a short time left. With that being said, however, I have seen cats live well into their twenties. If Bobo has pain in his mouth then I would not want him to live any longer with pain!

So, if this were my cat I would definitely recommend having blood tests done, and if all was ok, then going ahead with the dentistry.

If you do so, I hope things go well!

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. It was very helpful. At this point his quality of life means more than anything to me and will give up a few indulgences in mine to make him more comfortable if thats what is going on. I will talk to his Vet on Monday, and see what our next step is. Even 1 year pain free is worth any amount to me as he is like a child to us as all our animals are. I'm a firm beleiver that when you take the responsibility of owning a pet, you owe them the best you have. I hadnt done anything about his teeth up till now because the last vet didnt seem concerned. Hmmm. Second opinion time.
Again, Thank yopu very much,
Tin

Bobo is blessed to have such a great "mom"! Let me know if you have more concerns!

Flea dirt around nipples? She is a 20 month old seemingly very healthy happy cat. There is a very good chance... (36700 views)

When to neuter my dog. Hi, I have an 8 month old 63 lb male intact golden retriver. When should I neuter... (7800 views)

Golden with itchy abdomen. Hello My dog Henri has been constantly licking and chewing his underside inside... (32817 views)

Lentigo? My cat has weird dark spots on the bald part in front of the ear canal. They look... (11084 views)

Allergic to grass? My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and... (16334 views)

Cat can't put weight on leg. hi basil got away from me last night down near the woods he returned about 30 mins... (20329 views)

New hamster tips. Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago... (8012 views)

Cat with diarrhea but eating. My 12 year old tabby had watery diarrhea and vomited 1 night ago. I took food away... (23672 views)

Dog scratching and biting. My dog has recently started scratching and biting at himself excessively, I have... (17866 views)

Cat howling at night. Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the... (8268 views)