Famotidine for kidney disease.

Breed: No specific bread. B
Coco had an ultrasound scan yesterday to confirm she has bilateral kidney cancer. She had lost nearly 2 kg in weight since before Christmas. The vet has told me, and i accept, not treatable. The vet has prescibed analgesia(applied to the lips) and also an antacid. I understand the reason for the antacid but it is very distressing for Coco to take this tablet. She is not eating at all today. Tried all tempting foods. She is drinking and passing urine. She is not very active at all-sitting on her bed by the window. MY QUESTION:Should I put her through the stress of the antacid? I feel since two visits to the vet, this week, she is very low in mood. Until yesterday she was behaving normally. But not today. When I walk in the room, her eyes say "leave me alone". I am a paediatric nurse, so I am used to medicating uncooperative patients.

Thanks you

Martha Worrell (Glasgow Scotland)

So sorry to hear that Coco has kidney cancer. This is definitely not good news.

The antacid that she is on is likely something called Famotidine (also known as pepcid). The reason why we give this to cats with kidney disease is that it helps to reduce some of the nausea that goes along with kidney disease. The kidneys are supposed to release toxins from our body. When they are not working properly, then toxins build up and they can cause nausea. Sometimes the Famotidine can help to reduce that nausea and therefore increase appetite.

My gut instinct is that this lack of appetite and the looks that says, "leave me alone" really has nothing to do with the antacid. It sounds to me like the kidney disease is getting worse. If this is the case, then forcing the antacid into her is not going to make a lot of difference either way.

You may want to talk to your vet about possibly administering subcutaneous fluids each day. I have had this help for a number of cats who are in kidney failure.

Additionally, famotidine (the antacid) can be given as a subcutaneous injection. It's possible that your vet would allow you to do this as you are a nurse.

But, I think we need to prepare ourselves that the behaviours that you are seeing today can be a sign that we are losing the battle.

I wish I had better news.

Wobbly boxer My 3 year old male boxer has several issues. A couple weeks ago he was lethargic... (19897 views)

Wound on dog's ear. Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its... (21935 views)

Can a dog get lice? Can my dog get lice... (7047 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (30295 views)

Pathology report for mammary tumor. Shelby recently had her mammary gland removed as she had multiple tumors. This... (11269 views)

Red bubble in corner of eye. My dog has a red membrane sticking out from the corner of his eye - kind of like a... (26024 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea, sneezing. My 4 month old kitten has vomited twice this morning. He has also coughed and... (20790 views)

Stretching out back legs. My dog keeps strecting out her back legs and dragging herself... (151930 views)

Gunky eyes in kittens. Hello, We have four newborn kittens--19 days old. One died 2 days ago--we... (11947 views)

Is clostridium zoonotic? Clostridium Type A has been known to cause sudden death in healthy deer but it has... (10020 views)