Famotidine for kidney disease.

Breed: No specific bread. B
Coco had an ultrasound scan yesterday to confirm she has bilateral kidney cancer. She had lost nearly 2 kg in weight since before Christmas. The vet has told me, and i accept, not treatable. The vet has prescibed analgesia(applied to the lips) and also an antacid. I understand the reason for the antacid but it is very distressing for Coco to take this tablet. She is not eating at all today. Tried all tempting foods. She is drinking and passing urine. She is not very active at all-sitting on her bed by the window. MY QUESTION:Should I put her through the stress of the antacid? I feel since two visits to the vet, this week, she is very low in mood. Until yesterday she was behaving normally. But not today. When I walk in the room, her eyes say "leave me alone". I am a paediatric nurse, so I am used to medicating uncooperative patients.

Thanks you

Martha Worrell (Glasgow Scotland)

So sorry to hear that Coco has kidney cancer. This is definitely not good news.

The antacid that she is on is likely something called Famotidine (also known as pepcid). The reason why we give this to cats with kidney disease is that it helps to reduce some of the nausea that goes along with kidney disease. The kidneys are supposed to release toxins from our body. When they are not working properly, then toxins build up and they can cause nausea. Sometimes the Famotidine can help to reduce that nausea and therefore increase appetite.

My gut instinct is that this lack of appetite and the looks that says, "leave me alone" really has nothing to do with the antacid. It sounds to me like the kidney disease is getting worse. If this is the case, then forcing the antacid into her is not going to make a lot of difference either way.

You may want to talk to your vet about possibly administering subcutaneous fluids each day. I have had this help for a number of cats who are in kidney failure.

Additionally, famotidine (the antacid) can be given as a subcutaneous injection. It's possible that your vet would allow you to do this as you are a nurse.

But, I think we need to prepare ourselves that the behaviours that you are seeing today can be a sign that we are losing the battle.

I wish I had better news.

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (6936 views)

Homeopathic treatment of FIP. Hello, My cat is verified (80% confirmed) to infect FIP(wet type). The vet told... (11596 views)

Spot on eye. My boxer scratched his eye. Went to Vet and confirmed and they put him on Neomycin... (16584 views)

Pea sized lump. Hi Dr. This morning I noticed a pea-sized lump on one of Max's ribs on the left... (55050 views)

Dog bite wound. Dear Doctor, with my dog one day ago happend accident, he was in fight with another... (4993 views)

Kidney disease in a cat. First of all I am asking you because I am under extreme financial constraints right... (22189 views)

Red spot on dog's neck. I just noticed a red spot on my pug. I will try to attach a picture. It's on his... (14297 views)

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (4861 views)

What is a CG8 blood test? Hi, my vet wants to do blood tests to see how Frankie is doing, he seems to have... (5687 views)

Deaf and pooping in house. My cat is now about 15 years old and is in relatively good condition apart from the... (9802 views)