Famotidine for kidney disease.

Breed: No specific bread. B
Coco had an ultrasound scan yesterday to confirm she has bilateral kidney cancer. She had lost nearly 2 kg in weight since before Christmas. The vet has told me, and i accept, not treatable. The vet has prescibed analgesia(applied to the lips) and also an antacid. I understand the reason for the antacid but it is very distressing for Coco to take this tablet. She is not eating at all today. Tried all tempting foods. She is drinking and passing urine. She is not very active at all-sitting on her bed by the window. MY QUESTION:Should I put her through the stress of the antacid? I feel since two visits to the vet, this week, she is very low in mood. Until yesterday she was behaving normally. But not today. When I walk in the room, her eyes say "leave me alone". I am a paediatric nurse, so I am used to medicating uncooperative patients.

Thanks you

Martha Worrell (Glasgow Scotland)

So sorry to hear that Coco has kidney cancer. This is definitely not good news.

The antacid that she is on is likely something called Famotidine (also known as pepcid). The reason why we give this to cats with kidney disease is that it helps to reduce some of the nausea that goes along with kidney disease. The kidneys are supposed to release toxins from our body. When they are not working properly, then toxins build up and they can cause nausea. Sometimes the Famotidine can help to reduce that nausea and therefore increase appetite.

My gut instinct is that this lack of appetite and the looks that says, "leave me alone" really has nothing to do with the antacid. It sounds to me like the kidney disease is getting worse. If this is the case, then forcing the antacid into her is not going to make a lot of difference either way.

You may want to talk to your vet about possibly administering subcutaneous fluids each day. I have had this help for a number of cats who are in kidney failure.

Additionally, famotidine (the antacid) can be given as a subcutaneous injection. It's possible that your vet would allow you to do this as you are a nurse.

But, I think we need to prepare ourselves that the behaviours that you are seeing today can be a sign that we are losing the battle.

I wish I had better news.

Stop barking at other dogs. hello when my dog is in the yard, she will bark at other dogs passing. she is a... (4482 views)

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (6986 views)

Coughing dog. Hi, We have talked before. Trixie is 13 years old and has had kidney issues. I... (15594 views)

Effects of tobacco on dogs. wat happens wen u feed ur dog a piece of levi garrett tabacco wit his... (9227 views)

dog rigid then drowsy I was rubbing my dog's tummy while he was lying on his back like always. He then... (7657 views)

Puppy ate vomit. my dog is crying and has a fever and is very sluggish my wife is pregnant and going... (9077 views)

How to get cat to eat. I have a cat that developed anorexia. She lost so much weight that she developed... (4636 views)

Saddle thrombus in a dog. In a dog, once a blood clot has broken off and is considered a saddle thrombus, how... (6699 views)

Dog has sore muscles. About 3 months ago, Ruby stopped jumping and running, she seems to be in pain when... (9889 views)

Interstitial cystitis? Charlotte is constantly squatting as if she has to go, but nothing is coming out. I... (8970 views)