Flying with your dog.

Breed: Mini Schnoodle
Hello!

We have recently purchased a mini schnoodle. She will be 8 weeks old when we bring her home on Sept. 1st. Since we recently moved across the country, we also have a flight booked to go back to Toronto for Thankgiving (about a 3 hour flight) and are hoping to take her with us. She will be 14.5 weeks old at that point, so we've been told that she'll be ok to travel with us. I want to confirm this is true, and if so, what we should do to prepare her for the flight (someone mentioned give her honey...?). She will NOT be in the Cargo area, but rather in the Cabin at my feet.

Thanks for your help!

Hi and thanks for your question.

The best thing you can do in this situation is call your airline and ask these questions of them. Every airline has different requirements for dogs travelling.

I personally have no problem with a puppy flying as long as she is healthy. It's a good idea to have your vet examine her and give you a health certificate to be sure she is ok to travel.

I would not advise giving her honey before the flight. This is not likely to be of any benefit for her.

You should be able to affix a small bowl to the inside of her cage so you can give her some food and water along the way. However, if it is just a 3 hour flight, you may not need to worry about this.

I do not recommend sedating animals for flying. Generally if they are well behaved in the car they do well in the air.

I hope all goes well for you!

Cat sick after prednisone. Two weeks ago LittleMan had something like an infection in the corners of his mouth... (18260 views)

Older cat missing litter box. My 18 year old male cat is getting into the liter box and urinating on the floor... (14428 views)

Infected spay incision? Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps... (14787 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (9779 views)

Dog ate chocolate bar. Hello. In September 2009, we got a family pet. She was born on 9th of July 2009. So... (5195 views)

Fleas, pale nose and sick. My cat Ava has lost alomot all of her hair and so much weight i can see her hip... (4595 views)

Slimy white stuff in urine. Last night my cat urinated on the couch. That's abnormal on it's own but, in... (26922 views)

Cat's stomach making noises My cat's stomach has been making noises today including gurgling and rumbling. This... (183858 views)

Black skin patches on dog. My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling... (14842 views)

Dog can't poop. okay hi how r u doing? my little dog she is a puppy she is 8 months she cant booboo... (13978 views)