Flying with your dog.

Breed: Mini Schnoodle
Hello!

We have recently purchased a mini schnoodle. She will be 8 weeks old when we bring her home on Sept. 1st. Since we recently moved across the country, we also have a flight booked to go back to Toronto for Thankgiving (about a 3 hour flight) and are hoping to take her with us. She will be 14.5 weeks old at that point, so we've been told that she'll be ok to travel with us. I want to confirm this is true, and if so, what we should do to prepare her for the flight (someone mentioned give her honey...?). She will NOT be in the Cargo area, but rather in the Cabin at my feet.

Thanks for your help!

Hi and thanks for your question.

The best thing you can do in this situation is call your airline and ask these questions of them. Every airline has different requirements for dogs travelling.

I personally have no problem with a puppy flying as long as she is healthy. It's a good idea to have your vet examine her and give you a health certificate to be sure she is ok to travel.

I would not advise giving her honey before the flight. This is not likely to be of any benefit for her.

You should be able to affix a small bowl to the inside of her cage so you can give her some food and water along the way. However, if it is just a 3 hour flight, you may not need to worry about this.

I do not recommend sedating animals for flying. Generally if they are well behaved in the car they do well in the air.

I hope all goes well for you!

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (15587 views)

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (27179 views)

Lump on German Shepherd. This morning while brushing Sako, a 9-year-old GSD, I noted an area where hair is... (15473 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (6510 views)

Vomiting bile. My dog has been throwing up all day, and all though the night. The throw up is... (41174 views)

No bowel movement after dentistry. Dear Dr Marie, Thank you for creating this website. I have a 12 year old male... (10391 views)

Dog is scratching his ear. For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on... (15721 views)

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (10487 views)

Old deaf dog. my dog is 16 yrs old and since he's gone deaf he gets very agitated when left,... (8226 views)

Becoming a veterinary assistant? I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches... (4843 views)