Flying with your dog.

Breed: Mini Schnoodle
Hello!

We have recently purchased a mini schnoodle. She will be 8 weeks old when we bring her home on Sept. 1st. Since we recently moved across the country, we also have a flight booked to go back to Toronto for Thankgiving (about a 3 hour flight) and are hoping to take her with us. She will be 14.5 weeks old at that point, so we've been told that she'll be ok to travel with us. I want to confirm this is true, and if so, what we should do to prepare her for the flight (someone mentioned give her honey...?). She will NOT be in the Cargo area, but rather in the Cabin at my feet.

Thanks for your help!

Hi and thanks for your question.

The best thing you can do in this situation is call your airline and ask these questions of them. Every airline has different requirements for dogs travelling.

I personally have no problem with a puppy flying as long as she is healthy. It's a good idea to have your vet examine her and give you a health certificate to be sure she is ok to travel.

I would not advise giving her honey before the flight. This is not likely to be of any benefit for her.

You should be able to affix a small bowl to the inside of her cage so you can give her some food and water along the way. However, if it is just a 3 hour flight, you may not need to worry about this.

I do not recommend sedating animals for flying. Generally if they are well behaved in the car they do well in the air.

I hope all goes well for you!

Anal tumor. I have an 8 year old male labrador retriever, we has terrible hips problems in which... (12493 views)

Profender and pregnant women. Hi there Dr. Marie This isn't a direct question about an animal but I'm wondering... (8000 views)

Did my dog mate? hello my female dog was on her 2nd heat around 2months ago she got out my garden... (7582 views)

Yorkie with Possible Pyometra. have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She... (13093 views)

Facial lymph nodes and teething. Hi Dr. Marie, After a lot of investigating w/ my own regular vet (very... (11230 views)

Puppy sleeps all the time. Hi, We just got our puppy Marley on Sunday, 16. He is eating and drinking, and is 7... (9322 views)

White urine in guinea pig. My Guinea Pigs urine is a white color (or possibly cloudy). Is this something we... (44099 views)

Black bumps in cat's ear. My friend has 3 cats (all unrelated) out of her 6 cats, that all have melanoma's in... (61650 views)

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (7122 views)

Yellow liquid at tip of penis. Every once in a while (maybe twice a week) he will have a yellowish white dot of... (18423 views)