Flying with your dog.

Breed: Mini Schnoodle
Hello!

We have recently purchased a mini schnoodle. She will be 8 weeks old when we bring her home on Sept. 1st. Since we recently moved across the country, we also have a flight booked to go back to Toronto for Thankgiving (about a 3 hour flight) and are hoping to take her with us. She will be 14.5 weeks old at that point, so we've been told that she'll be ok to travel with us. I want to confirm this is true, and if so, what we should do to prepare her for the flight (someone mentioned give her honey...?). She will NOT be in the Cargo area, but rather in the Cabin at my feet.

Thanks for your help!

Hi and thanks for your question.

The best thing you can do in this situation is call your airline and ask these questions of them. Every airline has different requirements for dogs travelling.

I personally have no problem with a puppy flying as long as she is healthy. It's a good idea to have your vet examine her and give you a health certificate to be sure she is ok to travel.

I would not advise giving her honey before the flight. This is not likely to be of any benefit for her.

You should be able to affix a small bowl to the inside of her cage so you can give her some food and water along the way. However, if it is just a 3 hour flight, you may not need to worry about this.

I do not recommend sedating animals for flying. Generally if they are well behaved in the car they do well in the air.

I hope all goes well for you!

Dog pees on the furniture. Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy... (8577 views)

Dental cleaning extend dog's life? My Pug Chocko has a tooth that feels loose. I think it's his lower central incisor... (7586 views)

Cat with asthma. My cat sam is 9 yrs old. he weighs about 16 pounds. He has coughing spells about 3... (9397 views)

Renal failure. Care and diet for young dog in last stages of renal failure... My sister's dog,... (19679 views)

How to get cat to lose weight? Cinder is about 16-18 lbs. She has a large frame for a Female, per the vet, but my... (5737 views)

Lump near nipple. She has a lump(i think so).. It's hard, and about a marble's size in... (11578 views)

CCNU chemotherapy. My 12.5 year old Boxer mix was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last week. Surgery... (11851 views)

Dog barked during euthanasia. Hi Why most likley did my dog bark out when the vet put him to sleep. I thought... (14540 views)

Bruising on neck. My mini dachshund went in for a dental cleaning, which the vet said went as normal.... (13742 views)

Cat is really hungry. Maya has feline asthma and has been on inhaled corticosteroids for a year... (19590 views)