Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Trifexis overdose.

Species: Dog
Breed: Chihuahua
Age: 1-2 years
My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. Should I be worried about Trifexis overdose?




Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Trifexis is a good medication for flea and heartworm prevention, but it can possibly cause problems if a dog eats too much of it.

We can see toxic effects if a dog ingests more than 400mg/kg of spinosad (one of the ingredients in Trifexis). So, let's assume your chihuahua is 5 lbs. This is the equivalent of 5/2.2 = 2.3kg. This means that if he ingested more than 2.3x400mg = 909mg of Trifexis then I would be worried.

The chihuahua size of Trifexis contains 140mg of spinosad. So, 4 tablets would be 4x140=560mg.

As 560mg is less than the toxic dose for your dog of 909mg, Snarles really should be ok.

There have been some reported cases though of dogs being extra sensitive to Trifexis and having lethargy and reluctance to eat after even a single dose. In severe cases dogs can have seizures. Fortunately these occurrences are rare.

Most of the time, if a dog eats too much Trifexis, they will vomit. Because they have vomited up the medication, it is much less likely that they will keep enough drug in the body to produce side effects.

It sounds like your dog will be ok. However, if he continues to be lethargic or if he has repeated vomiting or tremors/seizures then I would have a vet take a look.

Dr. Marie.


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Spaying an older dog. My dog is 10 years old and has had 2 litters of puppies. I would like to have her... (8535 views)

Dog doesn't drink much and burps. We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good... (23184 views)

Vaccine squirted onto skin. OK... I have a Maltese and yorkie that I was giving their second vaccine 5 in 1, and... (26953 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (200045 views)

Lifespan of a rat? What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is... (8267 views)

Hungry and losing weight. Our 17 year old indoor cat, one of two from the same litter, has always been skinny,... (14109 views)

Puppy with bald spots. Hello, Im concerned about my dog, she is only 4 months but she is barely growing... (9649 views)

Corn in dog food. I have heard that corn is bad in dog food. Also that alfalfa, brewers yeast, and... (17501 views)

Are brewers grains safe for dogs? Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are... (15995 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (132825 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.