Trifexis overdose.

Breed: Chihuahua
My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. Should I be worried about Trifexis overdose?

Trifexis is a good medication for flea and heartworm prevention, but it can possibly cause problems if a dog eats too much of it.

We can see toxic effects if a dog ingests more than 400mg/kg of spinosad (one of the ingredients in Trifexis). So, let's assume your chihuahua is 5 lbs. This is the equivalent of 5/2.2 = 2.3kg. This means that if he ingested more than 2.3x400mg = 909mg of Trifexis then I would be worried.

The chihuahua size of Trifexis contains 140mg of spinosad. So, 4 tablets would be 4x140=560mg.

As 560mg is less than the toxic dose for your dog of 909mg, Snarles really should be ok.

There have been some reported cases though of dogs being extra sensitive to Trifexis and having lethargy and reluctance to eat after even a single dose. In severe cases dogs can have seizures. Fortunately these occurrences are rare.

Most of the time, if a dog eats too much Trifexis, they will vomit. Because they have vomited up the medication, it is much less likely that they will keep enough drug in the body to produce side effects.

It sounds like your dog will be ok. However, if he continues to be lethargic or if he has repeated vomiting or tremors/seizures then I would have a vet take a look.

43 days pregnant and not eating. MY DOG IS 43 DAYS PREGNANT, SHE HAS LOW APETITE, DOCTOR PRESCRIBED PETPRO TABS 1... (9290 views)

Flea problems. WELL MY CAT HAD FLEA'S AND I DEFLEAD THE CAT THE PRODUCTS I USED TO DEFLEA MY CAT... (10138 views)

Roundworms and hookworms. How often do you find roundworms /hookworms in dogs is it rare of fairly... (5205 views)

Vomiting after eating. My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip'... (26494 views)

Limping cat with heart problems. Hudson is a 10 year old indoor house cat. He originally came from a garbage dump in... (15902 views)

Dog ate sanitary pad About a month ago my dog got into the trash and chewed up some sanitary napkins. He ... (6935 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (11539 views)

Won't eat kidney diet. My cat is 17 years old. She has kidney disease and has been on kidney food (both... (16117 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (7971 views)

Repeated diarrhea and vomiting. Dr. Marie: Thank you for your input and warning -- this will be a bit lengthy. I... (12051 views)