Trifexis overdose.

Breed: Chihuahua
My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. Should I be worried about Trifexis overdose?

Trifexis is a good medication for flea and heartworm prevention, but it can possibly cause problems if a dog eats too much of it.

We can see toxic effects if a dog ingests more than 400mg/kg of spinosad (one of the ingredients in Trifexis). So, let's assume your chihuahua is 5 lbs. This is the equivalent of 5/2.2 = 2.3kg. This means that if he ingested more than 2.3x400mg = 909mg of Trifexis then I would be worried.

The chihuahua size of Trifexis contains 140mg of spinosad. So, 4 tablets would be 4x140=560mg.

As 560mg is less than the toxic dose for your dog of 909mg, Snarles really should be ok.

There have been some reported cases though of dogs being extra sensitive to Trifexis and having lethargy and reluctance to eat after even a single dose. In severe cases dogs can have seizures. Fortunately these occurrences are rare.

Most of the time, if a dog eats too much Trifexis, they will vomit. Because they have vomited up the medication, it is much less likely that they will keep enough drug in the body to produce side effects.

It sounds like your dog will be ok. However, if he continues to be lethargic or if he has repeated vomiting or tremors/seizures then I would have a vet take a look.

Will kitten be ok when I go away? My kitten will be just over 15 weeks old when we go away for 1 week. I was going to... (13258 views)

Why do cats lick plastic? I have a 2 year old Himalayan Cat named Felix. He will be 3 in April. He drives me... (28674 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (6382 views)

Is vet just trying to make money? I have 3 cats aged 3, 4 and 7. Lately every time I walk into my DVM's off ice I... (9672 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (103649 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (43073 views)

Pain in nose and snout. Well, my dog Minnie hasn't been herself lately. The problem is that if I touch her... (35535 views)

Is this a tick? So Badger has a strange growth on the edge of his ear...I will include two pictures... (33697 views)

Bengal leg weakness. Rebel has had some undiagnosed rear end lameness and weakness intermitantly since... (10357 views)

Chronic ehrlichiosis treatment. I have a 7 year old Black Russian Terrier that was diagnosed 1 year ago with... (16303 views)