Trifexis overdose.

Breed: Chihuahua
My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. Should I be worried about Trifexis overdose?

Trifexis is a good medication for flea and heartworm prevention, but it can possibly cause problems if a dog eats too much of it.

We can see toxic effects if a dog ingests more than 400mg/kg of spinosad (one of the ingredients in Trifexis). So, let's assume your chihuahua is 5 lbs. This is the equivalent of 5/2.2 = 2.3kg. This means that if he ingested more than 2.3x400mg = 909mg of Trifexis then I would be worried.

The chihuahua size of Trifexis contains 140mg of spinosad. So, 4 tablets would be 4x140=560mg.

As 560mg is less than the toxic dose for your dog of 909mg, Snarles really should be ok.

There have been some reported cases though of dogs being extra sensitive to Trifexis and having lethargy and reluctance to eat after even a single dose. In severe cases dogs can have seizures. Fortunately these occurrences are rare.

Most of the time, if a dog eats too much Trifexis, they will vomit. Because they have vomited up the medication, it is much less likely that they will keep enough drug in the body to produce side effects.

It sounds like your dog will be ok. However, if he continues to be lethargic or if he has repeated vomiting or tremors/seizures then I would have a vet take a look.

urinating in the house Dr. Marie, Isabella is a healthy 13 yr old female cat. For a short period we... (7124 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my... (8298 views)

Pain in nose and snout. Well, my dog Minnie hasn't been herself lately. The problem is that if I touch her... (30793 views)

Hypothyroidism, diabetes and glaucoma. my 10 year old lab is hypo thyroid and diabetic 12 units twice a day. she has gone... (8778 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi there, I have two cats, a male (Duke, long haired tabby) and female (Bella,... (8323 views)

FIV positive and diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie - I took in a semi feral cat about six weeks ago. He is FIV+. He has... (17474 views)

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (15713 views)

Antibiotics for stuffed up nose. Hello again Dr. Marie, writing again about our dog Sparky and have some questions.... (5977 views)

Large abdomen in cat. We have an 18+ year old cat who is thin and bony, but has a 20" diameter potbelly... (12010 views)

Atropine? I live in a tiny town in Nicaragua and there is no vet...just a veterinary food and... (6863 views)