Trifexis overdose.

Breed: Chihuahua
My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. Should I be worried about Trifexis overdose?

Trifexis is a good medication for flea and heartworm prevention, but it can possibly cause problems if a dog eats too much of it.

We can see toxic effects if a dog ingests more than 400mg/kg of spinosad (one of the ingredients in Trifexis). So, let's assume your chihuahua is 5 lbs. This is the equivalent of 5/2.2 = 2.3kg. This means that if he ingested more than 2.3x400mg = 909mg of Trifexis then I would be worried.

The chihuahua size of Trifexis contains 140mg of spinosad. So, 4 tablets would be 4x140=560mg.

As 560mg is less than the toxic dose for your dog of 909mg, Snarles really should be ok.

There have been some reported cases though of dogs being extra sensitive to Trifexis and having lethargy and reluctance to eat after even a single dose. In severe cases dogs can have seizures. Fortunately these occurrences are rare.

Most of the time, if a dog eats too much Trifexis, they will vomit. Because they have vomited up the medication, it is much less likely that they will keep enough drug in the body to produce side effects.

It sounds like your dog will be ok. However, if he continues to be lethargic or if he has repeated vomiting or tremors/seizures then I would have a vet take a look.

Does my puppy have a UTI? My puggle puppy usually tells me when she has to go out. But for the past two-three... (13811 views)

Non itchy bald spots. She has 3 bald spots on her head and 2-3 more around her body. Took her to the vet... (18683 views)

Increased appetite and hair loss. My Burmese cat is losing her hair all over and I am concerned about how hungry she... (8850 views)

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (14771 views)

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (7227 views)

Lack of bladder control. I HAVE A FEMALE COCKER SPANIEL WHO IS THE OFF SPRING OF MY OWN MALE AND FEMALE WHO... (17759 views)

Relapse of parvo? We recently bought a lab pup that turned up with parvo a few days after bringing it... (29184 views)

Debris on cat's eye. Good afternoon! My cat seems to be having eye issues. 6 months ago I took her to... (17692 views)

Vomiting dog Hi Marie, Our dog is a 5 year old Lhasa male (entire).Which we bought to China with... (38302 views)

Puppy walking in circles. Cj ended. Up missing found him at the shelter his ears(normally lay down) are... (15999 views)