Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog with large tumor on neck.

Species: Dog
Breed: Mix Breed Mid Build
Age: More than 15 ye
My Dog Re has a large Growth on hes neck, we live 100kms from any vet so with hes age hes 15-16 years old I have wanted take him anywere the grow started 12 months ago and was small the last couple months it has grown large he has a cough somtimes when he gets going after sleeping but he eats drinks well and he has will to want to be apart of life still wants go out about on farm and be apart of whats going on, however he has now 2 times stopped breathing and ive had to bring him back both times were when he was walking fine has gone to get hes bed at night and he has lay down and its like hes airway has been blocked

Been the age he is I just tried to keep him happy and he lives inside and spends hes days out in the sun as we have just had a very cold winter here and when I am going out the farm he still acts like hes a puppy even know I have lift him in and out the 4wd.

I would be happy to take some photos of the growth

Than You

David Dettmann


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Thanks so much for your question David. I would love to see a picture of Rex's lump. Can you email me some pictures at #####?

I won't be able to give you a diagnosis but I can definitely give you my thoughts on your situation.

I am just heading out of the office and will be back online in 30-60 minutes, so when I come back online I'll check my email for the photos.

Thanks,
Dr. Marie


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:



large lump on dog's neck


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh, poor Rex. This is indeed a very large growth. When I first read your description of a lump on the neck I wondered if perhaps this was an abscess, but unfortunately by looking at the pictures I am more concerned about cancer. (Please note, I cannot legally make a diagnosis online, so this is only my guess by looking at the pictures.)

If I had Rex in my office right now I would likely be doing a fine needle aspirate which is a test that usually tells us what we are dealing with. But, regardless of what type of cancer this is there may not be much we can do for him.

There is a possibility that this is a benign growth which means that it would not spread to other areas (such as the lungs or liver). However, it looks like it is growing rapidly. The ulcerated area tells me it is growing too much for the skin to keep up with.

When he is having breathing difficulties it may be that the lump is growing inwards as well and actually constricting his trachea (windpipe).

There is a chance that this lump could be removed surgically, but it would be a very difficult surgery. The lump is right in the area where the jugular veins and carotid arteries go and if it encircles these vessels it may not be able to be removed.

There really is not much you can do to reduce the size of this lump. If the ulcerated area is smelly or has pus oozing then a course of antibiotics would help for the short term but these would need to be prescribed by a vet. If this were my case I may possibly be prescribing some steroids such as prednisone to help short term with the swelling but again it is a short term solution.

If Rex is having more and more problems with breathing it may be time to make some hard decisions here. This is a problem that is not going to go away and will continue to get worse.

I'm sorry for the bad news.

Dr. Marie.



Customer reply:

Just to let you know I took the photos 2 Rexs vet and they pretty much said the same thing and they have put him on 10 days of tables to see if it helps if not I will take him in to be xrayed to see the risk of having it taken off and see if its spread

Thank You For you Help Cheers Dave


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

You're very welcome Dave. I really hope everything goes ok!

Dr. Marie.



Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Does vinegar kill fleas? I have two cats, and my tenant has one as well. We are aware that they have fleas... (10001 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (23303 views)

Puppy died. My 7week old puppy died yesterday. She laid around all weekend and was not very... (12824 views)

Time for euthanasia. Mr. Magoo is 14 1/2 years old. He has Cushings disease (not being treated) and... (6605 views)

Eye medicine for my cat. We adopted A domestic short haired cat from our local animal shelter. He had an eye... (11192 views)

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (44521 views)

Pregnancy question. My golden retriver mated with my chiuahuh and the chihuhah is pregnat would i need... (12013 views)

Black spot on Hamster's skin. my hamster has a black spot under his hair.should he have this?????????????. he is a... (22382 views)

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (13198 views)

Should I get a guinea pig? Dear Dr. Marie, I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two... (10717 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.