Test for Cushings?

Breed: Aus Shepard Mix
My dog is breathing rapidly, about 60 times per minute, night and day, but otherwise acting normal. Only exception is that he drinks a bit more water than usual. He had a blood test about 10 days ago. Things that are out of range include:
ALT 220
ALP 1445
Amylase 1345
Platlet 479
Diff is Absolute
Protein and pH is high in his urine, 3+ and 8 respectively

My vet wants to do the Cushings test ($333) which will be difficult to pay. Any other suggestions?

How worried should I be?

Thank you so much.

Sorry to hear about Thor's problems. The symptoms certainly sound like Cushing's disease. Dogs with cushing's will often pant a lot, drink more water than usual, have a very high ALP (alkaline phosphatase) and protein in their urine.

The tough thing with cushing's though is that it can be difficult to treat. With that being said, even if you weren't going to go ahead with treatment it is still a good idea to have the test done. If you know that this is Cushing's then you know what you can expect. Knowing this can help you make decisions when it comes to quality of life.

If this is not Cushing's then there are other possibilities but getting a diagnosis can be difficult. A liver condition can do this, but a liver ultrasound and biopsy would probably be needed to get a diagnosis.

There are some dogs that can have odd bloodwork changes like this and still have nothing seriously wrong with them. It's possible that the panting could be due to something like arthritis pain. If the Cushing's test came back negative then your vet may consider a trial of pain medication.

It's always hard making decisions when there is a financial burden.

If you have more questions, let me know.

Renal lymphoma? my cat just had dental surgery. After about a week I noticed she was still listless... (27019 views)

Chicken fillets by Beefeaters. Dear Dr. Marie, I have a 10 y.o. Black and Tan Coonhound and he just loves... (13973 views)

Toenail problems. We adopted Tiger (62lb what appears to be shepard/boxer mix) in May and about a... (8755 views)

Red spots My dog has been developed having red spot (lots of round and red spot with hair loss... (37149 views)

Can't pee. Constipation issues too. Hello, My cat has Mega Colon and is being treated with CisaPride 5mg/ml suspension.... (13909 views)

Metacam for cancer pain. I have a 13 year old Birman female cat, never really been sick in her life. We... (17725 views)

Trouble having bowel movements. ok so my pug has pooping weird lately. almost every time he goes he wines and runes... (6316 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (24899 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory... (21715 views)

Improper tail docking? I just acquired my puppy from a backyard breeder who I was told cut off the puppies... (9028 views)