Test for Cushings?

Breed: Aus Shepard Mix
My dog is breathing rapidly, about 60 times per minute, night and day, but otherwise acting normal. Only exception is that he drinks a bit more water than usual. He had a blood test about 10 days ago. Things that are out of range include:
ALT 220
ALP 1445
Amylase 1345
Platlet 479
Diff is Absolute
Protein and pH is high in his urine, 3+ and 8 respectively

My vet wants to do the Cushings test ($333) which will be difficult to pay. Any other suggestions?

How worried should I be?

Thank you so much.

Sorry to hear about Thor's problems. The symptoms certainly sound like Cushing's disease. Dogs with cushing's will often pant a lot, drink more water than usual, have a very high ALP (alkaline phosphatase) and protein in their urine.

The tough thing with cushing's though is that it can be difficult to treat. With that being said, even if you weren't going to go ahead with treatment it is still a good idea to have the test done. If you know that this is Cushing's then you know what you can expect. Knowing this can help you make decisions when it comes to quality of life.

If this is not Cushing's then there are other possibilities but getting a diagnosis can be difficult. A liver condition can do this, but a liver ultrasound and biopsy would probably be needed to get a diagnosis.

There are some dogs that can have odd bloodwork changes like this and still have nothing seriously wrong with them. It's possible that the panting could be due to something like arthritis pain. If the Cushing's test came back negative then your vet may consider a trial of pain medication.

It's always hard making decisions when there is a financial burden.

If you have more questions, let me know.

Peeing on blankets. We adopted Ginger a year ago and it took some time to get her house trained. She now... (16332 views)

Separation anxiety. Dear Dr. Marie, My family and I adopted Champ, who is a 2 1/2 year old... (6591 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (9445 views)

Weakness in back legs and twitching eye. Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and... (9475 views)

Panadol (tylenol) for cat? my cat(3 years) has been drooling non-stop for the past 3 days and wont eat or drink... (5495 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (31654 views)

Dog leaking urine. Good Evening. Charlot is a rescued dog so I do know his history prior to his new... (12445 views)

Cat with broken pelvis-not eating. My kitty has a broken left pelvis, which happened 8 days ago. Today she has changed,... (10448 views)

Dog shedding. Why is our dog shedding so... (9034 views)

ECG for heart murmur? Hi, We have an 8 year old european shorthair cat who was recently diagnosed as... (9160 views)