Test for Cushings?

Breed: Aus Shepard Mix
My dog is breathing rapidly, about 60 times per minute, night and day, but otherwise acting normal. Only exception is that he drinks a bit more water than usual. He had a blood test about 10 days ago. Things that are out of range include:
ALT 220
ALP 1445
Amylase 1345
Platlet 479
Diff is Absolute
Protein and pH is high in his urine, 3+ and 8 respectively

My vet wants to do the Cushings test ($333) which will be difficult to pay. Any other suggestions?

How worried should I be?

Thank you so much.

Sorry to hear about Thor's problems. The symptoms certainly sound like Cushing's disease. Dogs with cushing's will often pant a lot, drink more water than usual, have a very high ALP (alkaline phosphatase) and protein in their urine.

The tough thing with cushing's though is that it can be difficult to treat. With that being said, even if you weren't going to go ahead with treatment it is still a good idea to have the test done. If you know that this is Cushing's then you know what you can expect. Knowing this can help you make decisions when it comes to quality of life.

If this is not Cushing's then there are other possibilities but getting a diagnosis can be difficult. A liver condition can do this, but a liver ultrasound and biopsy would probably be needed to get a diagnosis.

There are some dogs that can have odd bloodwork changes like this and still have nothing seriously wrong with them. It's possible that the panting could be due to something like arthritis pain. If the Cushing's test came back negative then your vet may consider a trial of pain medication.

It's always hard making decisions when there is a financial burden.

If you have more questions, let me know.

67 days pregnant. Dog is 67 days pregnant no sign of labor how much longer should i wait before taking... (11762 views)

Dog has hotspots from fleas. In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been... (9077 views)

Chaning cat's thyroid medication. Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago.... (8162 views)

Antibiotics for anal glands? Hi I have written before about our unique living situation. We are expats with... (8302 views)

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (7865 views)

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (10162 views)

Ate tag from pillow case. My dog ate a tag like the one on a pillow what should i... (12760 views)

Grunting pitbull I have two pit bulls, one is Maverick (female) and the other is Diezel (male). I... (12179 views)

Penis discharge in dog. Hello. My male Jack Russell dog is now 6-7 months old and lately, he has been... (98584 views)

Dog is losing weight. I have a 7yr old larger sized min pin. Had her fixed at 1yrs old and she has always... (10827 views)