Test for Cushings?

Breed: Aus Shepard Mix
My dog is breathing rapidly, about 60 times per minute, night and day, but otherwise acting normal. Only exception is that he drinks a bit more water than usual. He had a blood test about 10 days ago. Things that are out of range include:
ALT 220
ALP 1445
Amylase 1345
Platlet 479
Diff is Absolute
Protein and pH is high in his urine, 3+ and 8 respectively

My vet wants to do the Cushings test ($333) which will be difficult to pay. Any other suggestions?

How worried should I be?

Thank you so much.

Sorry to hear about Thor's problems. The symptoms certainly sound like Cushing's disease. Dogs with cushing's will often pant a lot, drink more water than usual, have a very high ALP (alkaline phosphatase) and protein in their urine.

The tough thing with cushing's though is that it can be difficult to treat. With that being said, even if you weren't going to go ahead with treatment it is still a good idea to have the test done. If you know that this is Cushing's then you know what you can expect. Knowing this can help you make decisions when it comes to quality of life.

If this is not Cushing's then there are other possibilities but getting a diagnosis can be difficult. A liver condition can do this, but a liver ultrasound and biopsy would probably be needed to get a diagnosis.

There are some dogs that can have odd bloodwork changes like this and still have nothing seriously wrong with them. It's possible that the panting could be due to something like arthritis pain. If the Cushing's test came back negative then your vet may consider a trial of pain medication.

It's always hard making decisions when there is a financial burden.

If you have more questions, let me know.

Fecal incontinence. My 11-year-old Pug was diagnosed with a luxating patella at 8 years of age. He was... (8880 views)

old dog is peeing in the house. spot is 17 and has started weeing in house constantley even when we have doors open... (21333 views)

Black widow spider bite. Hi, A good friend of mine woke up this morning and found her cat dead in her... (7790 views)

hamster brain damage from chewing Hi, my 18 month old hamster started to bite her cage several months ago. i have... (13810 views)

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (10066 views)

Puppy with vomiting and diarrhea. i have a 1 month old puppy and she is vomiting, not eating,pooping brown water and... (20923 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (20601 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (11717 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (10035 views)

Underweight dog. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs, one of whom, Mushka (mixed breed), has been... (11470 views)