Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

One puppy in litter died.

Species: Dog
Breed: Yorkiepoopuppy
Age: Less than 3 mon
I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted sick. Weak. Vomiting. I held it most of the day. Feed it some water and pup formula. It took small amounts. Kept this up most of the night. This morn it had passed away. What could this have been. Should I be concerned about the other pups.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your puppies.

It is unfortunately quite common to lose one or more pups in a litter. Most of the time, we don't know why and we attribute the death to some type of malformation in the pup.

I am a little concerned however about the vomiting. It is possible that the pup had parvo virus which is quite serious and very contagious. Or, it is possible that there are parasites present.

If any of the other puppies start to not feel well it would be good to have a vet take a look at them right away.

I hope they are ok!

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Hungry and losing weight. hi our cat is scrounging for food 24hrs a day even if he has just eaten. we dont... (7196 views)

Allergic to grass? My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and... (17007 views)

Seizure or heart problem? My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about... (13037 views)

Sore anus after using chlorox wipe. I put a Clorox Disenfecting Wipes on my dog's anus. It's been a couple of days and... (12761 views)

Cat's tail fell off. My cat is a male, seven year old, siamese crossed with ginger named Skittles. Around... (42878 views)

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (22358 views)

Dog leaking urine. Aud is 5 year old black mini poodle. The past 3 days she is leaking urine. She is... (20783 views)

Worms in stool. My dogs stool has a lot of worms in it. My Mom's friends takes care of a lot of... (18028 views)

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (9875 views)

Honey for a wound. Whats your opinion on using raw honey to treat and heal my geldings staph abcesses... (8327 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.