Swollen nipple.

Breed: rotti-lab mix
I have a female dog that was fixed 6 years ago. She has 1 nipple that is swollen to the size of a human big toe. It dangles from her chest and is now red in color. What is this? should I take her into the vet?

Sometimes dogs can get one nipple that looks bigger than the others. Often this is nothing to worry about.

However, if this nipple is red, then this has me more concerned.

It's possible she's got an infection in the skin around her nipple, or even in the nipple itself. It's also possible that this is a tumor.

It's definitely a good idea to have her checked out.

Is my dog in heat? my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and... (32673 views)

Cat with bump on skin. My 5 year old cat has a small bump on the back of his neck. It moves with the skin... (11011 views)

When to neuter my dog. Hi, I have an 8 month old 63 lb male intact golden retriver. When should I neuter... (7929 views)

Side effects of Trilostane. Buddy was diagnosed with Cushings Disease about 5 weeks ago. He had extensive blood... (15112 views)

Throwing up and diarrhea. My dog has been throwing up and has had diarrhea for a couple of days. She is able... (29896 views)

Mass on dog's cheek. My dog recently had a cotton ball size mass on her "cheek". Someone told me it was... (10152 views)

Quiet, sneezing dog. My Choc Lab is acting very listless, sneezing constantly, her nose is cold, is still... (21533 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (4405 views)

Did I make the right decision? Hello, I guess my question isn't so much of a question but more of a plea for... (41965 views)

Dog was limping and death. My dog was favoring his left front leg and he is an outside dog with lots of energy,... (14227 views)