Heart rate for a cat.

Breed:
Dear Dr.Marie

I was just wondering THE TRUTH behind what a cats average heart rate is, I've been trying to find out but everything online says something different. I've gotten 120-140bpms, 140-160bpms, 120-160bpms, 140-220bpms, and 120-220bpms, there all kind of in the same range but some just sky rocket and I just really wanted to know what the real answer was, I just want an answer from a source I know I can trust, I would be very gratefully if you responded to this question

Thank you,
John

Hi John...The reason you have had multiple answers is that no one really knows for sure how fast a cat's heart rate should be.

When I do a physical exam I will commonly see a heart rate of 180 bpm on a healthy cat. However, if I took the heart rate on the same cat when she was at home and sleeping it may be 120 bpm.

I would say that anything over 220 when a little stressed could potentially be abnormal.

Sorry that I can't give you an exact answer!

Chicken fillets by Beefeaters. Dear Dr. Marie, I have a 10 y.o. Black and Tan Coonhound and he just loves... (11986 views)

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (4221 views)

Itchy bumps on back. I took my dog to get groomed about 6 weeks ago and I noticed that she got a few... (10574 views)

Cat with broken pelvis-not eating. My kitty has a broken left pelvis, which happened 8 days ago. Today she has changed,... (9350 views)

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (12675 views)

Kitten's eye is sealed shut. My kitten got either calici virus or the herpes virus and it affected one eye. For... (16102 views)

One small testicle. I have a 25 week old male pup who had 2 normal testicles at 8 weeks old. At about 10... (18858 views)

ACTH Stim my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in... (7503 views)

Euthanasia for older cat. I euthanized my cat on Friday, and I regret it so badly. He was 14 1/2 years old,... (7750 views)

Guinea pig with mammary tumor. what does a large open lump on a guinea pigs tit mean? the tit has gone!... (11204 views)