Heart rate for a cat.

Breed:
Dear Dr.Marie

I was just wondering THE TRUTH behind what a cats average heart rate is, I've been trying to find out but everything online says something different. I've gotten 120-140bpms, 140-160bpms, 120-160bpms, 140-220bpms, and 120-220bpms, there all kind of in the same range but some just sky rocket and I just really wanted to know what the real answer was, I just want an answer from a source I know I can trust, I would be very gratefully if you responded to this question

Thank you,
John

Hi John...The reason you have had multiple answers is that no one really knows for sure how fast a cat's heart rate should be.

When I do a physical exam I will commonly see a heart rate of 180 bpm on a healthy cat. However, if I took the heart rate on the same cat when she was at home and sleeping it may be 120 bpm.

I would say that anything over 220 when a little stressed could potentially be abnormal.

Sorry that I can't give you an exact answer!

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (8029 views)

Peeing in house. We live in a 2 story 5 bedroom house. I have a male 14 year old pure bred Ragdoll... (8379 views)

Did cherry eye surgery fail? My 10 month old baby boy, ralphie, just had a cherry eye surgery yesterday. this... (21533 views)

Dog with bad breath. im from philippines, i really sleep at bed every night with my dog.the problem is, i... (9861 views)

Pine bedding and gerbils. Hi, We noticed that our gerbil was lethargic, eyes closed, breathing rapidly. I... (8000 views)

Breed dog on next heat? I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to... (8626 views)

Recovery from FCE. Our dog was diagnosed with FCE about two months ago, I have been noticing some... (9621 views)

Head Tilt. My dog carries his head to one side. Do you think he could have an ear infection or... (12847 views)

Coughing cat. My cat has had a horrible cough for two or three months and the vet doesn't know... (4428 views)

Is ginger safe for dogs? I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we... (43048 views)