Heart rate for a cat.

Breed:
Dear Dr.Marie

I was just wondering THE TRUTH behind what a cats average heart rate is, I've been trying to find out but everything online says something different. I've gotten 120-140bpms, 140-160bpms, 120-160bpms, 140-220bpms, and 120-220bpms, there all kind of in the same range but some just sky rocket and I just really wanted to know what the real answer was, I just want an answer from a source I know I can trust, I would be very gratefully if you responded to this question

Thank you,
John

Hi John...The reason you have had multiple answers is that no one really knows for sure how fast a cat's heart rate should be.

When I do a physical exam I will commonly see a heart rate of 180 bpm on a healthy cat. However, if I took the heart rate on the same cat when she was at home and sleeping it may be 120 bpm.

I would say that anything over 220 when a little stressed could potentially be abnormal.

Sorry that I can't give you an exact answer!

Cat has a swelling with pus. Hi my name is Retief you see a couple of weeks ago a friend told me my cat fell out... (6905 views)

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (9534 views)

Lifespan of a rat? What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is... (5943 views)

Bad breath he has bad breath is there a way to look after it without the vet... (7148 views)

Swollen eyelid. My dog had one lower eyelid swollen inside. I discover this after she had... (16938 views)

Elevated kidney enzymes. I brought my dog, Trixie (10 year old Shih Tzu) in this morning for her yearly... (16829 views)

Vomiting after eating. my pet vomits after eating since 20 days with brownish in color,faeces is loose with... (8031 views)

Rat Lifespan? Sick rat. My 3 yr old rat is sick. His skin feels cold, breathing is rapid and labored, eyes... (9739 views)

Dog died suddenly. Dr. Marie - We had a Yorkshire Terrier (would have been 12 years old in August).... (66778 views)

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (4748 views)