Heart rate for a cat.

Breed:
Dear Dr.Marie

I was just wondering THE TRUTH behind what a cats average heart rate is, I've been trying to find out but everything online says something different. I've gotten 120-140bpms, 140-160bpms, 120-160bpms, 140-220bpms, and 120-220bpms, there all kind of in the same range but some just sky rocket and I just really wanted to know what the real answer was, I just want an answer from a source I know I can trust, I would be very gratefully if you responded to this question

Thank you,
John

Hi John...The reason you have had multiple answers is that no one really knows for sure how fast a cat's heart rate should be.

When I do a physical exam I will commonly see a heart rate of 180 bpm on a healthy cat. However, if I took the heart rate on the same cat when she was at home and sleeping it may be 120 bpm.

I would say that anything over 220 when a little stressed could potentially be abnormal.

Sorry that I can't give you an exact answer!

Swollen eye and vomiting. Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went... (41190 views)

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (14800 views)

Problems with Rimadyl? she seems to have paralysis of her front left paw. she can not stand on her own and... (19383 views)

Dog sick after eating apricots. Yesterday I found Poppy and my other Aussie eating apricots from the neighbors... (18332 views)

Loose black stools. Sid is older, lately his stools ate loose and turn black? He can tell time and... (3936 views)

Brown staining around pee area. The area around her pee area is really brown and dirty I have cleaned it off but I... (93430 views)

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (5533 views)

Not eating and very weak. Our dog has been quite sick for a bit over a week now. We live on a small island in... (52218 views)

Pomeranian in pain. I have a 4 year old pom. All of a sudden, 3 weeks ago he started having abdominal... (13324 views)

Limping cat. My cat is limping, she is not putting weight on her left hind leg. She isn't cut or... (17676 views)