Heart rate for a cat.

Breed:
Dear Dr.Marie

I was just wondering THE TRUTH behind what a cats average heart rate is, I've been trying to find out but everything online says something different. I've gotten 120-140bpms, 140-160bpms, 120-160bpms, 140-220bpms, and 120-220bpms, there all kind of in the same range but some just sky rocket and I just really wanted to know what the real answer was, I just want an answer from a source I know I can trust, I would be very gratefully if you responded to this question

Thank you,
John

Hi John...The reason you have had multiple answers is that no one really knows for sure how fast a cat's heart rate should be.

When I do a physical exam I will commonly see a heart rate of 180 bpm on a healthy cat. However, if I took the heart rate on the same cat when she was at home and sleeping it may be 120 bpm.

I would say that anything over 220 when a little stressed could potentially be abnormal.

Sorry that I can't give you an exact answer!

Bleeding cat? my cat (female and she has has been neutered)appears to be dropping a red liquid in... (12968 views)

Not sure if first shots done. I just bought a 7 week old pomeranian from a local family. They told me he has had... (40605 views)

Vulva dermatitis. Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female... (29495 views)

Fever and dizziness in older dog. Dear Dr. Marie, Kodi is a 15 years old Labrador, he is very active and love to... (7855 views)

Vomiting undigested food. I read in a magazine Woman's World about your service to give pet medical advice. My... (22806 views)

Pale stool and orange urine. Last Saturday night, my dog's stool started looking strange. Pale and very soft,... (9645 views)

How often to vaccinate for parvo. Hi How often should I get my dog vaccinated for Parvo? She was vaccinated May... (43791 views)

Dog chewing feet. I was told that if your irishwolfhound chew his back paws this means a heart... (13484 views)

Jaw cancer? Hello doctor. My question is about my 8-10 year old cat. He has had teeth removed do... (15726 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i was woke up this morning mu my female pup crying and yelping. so i found her... (19670 views)