How to keep dogs from breeding.

Breed: Beagle/Boxer mix an
Hi there,

I have a one year old female Beagle/Boxer mix and a Lab/pitt mix male. They just had puppies Nov 21, my male is not neutered and my female is now in heat again, is there anything I can do to prevent them from breeding again ?Beside getting him neutered or separating them?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Melanie

When a female is in heat, the male dog will do almost anything he can to be able to breed her! Additionally, the female will have a strong desire to breed as well. It is extremely difficult to keep an intact male and female from breeding when the female is in heat.

I have seen all sorts of methods fail. I have seen people put underwear on the female, but the male can very easily get around that. I have seen people keep the male dog tied up on a big chain and the male was so determined that he actually broke the chain!

The only thing that I can recommend is to have them spayed/neutered. Keep in mind that if you get your male dog neutered, he will still have some sperm in his system for several weeks and can still get your female pregnant during that time.

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (7667 views)

Interview tips for veterinary technicians. I actually had a question not related to a pet, if that is okay. What advice would... (5749 views)

Patches of hair loss on snout. Hi, my dog Penelope has started to develop a patch of hair loss on the right side of... (18260 views)

Dog bite wound. Dear Doctor, with my dog one day ago happend accident, he was in fight with another... (5397 views)

Bladder stone surgery. I just returned from the vet where my dog still is. It was discovered through... (21240 views)

Cat puffing its hair out. Is there other reasons besides a cat trying to make itself look big for a fight that... (13855 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog, Ace, passed away on Thursday, July 5th. We live in the midwest and had been... (11455 views)

High lipase and triglycerides. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's Vacuolar Hepatopathy... (6910 views)

Heart medication questions. My dog’s name is Yoda. He is 16 years old. But for his heart, he is in good... (4693 views)

Dog coughing. We let our dog do her business in the backyard. However, we are currently in the... (47496 views)