How to keep dogs from breeding.

Breed: Beagle/Boxer mix an
Hi there,

I have a one year old female Beagle/Boxer mix and a Lab/pitt mix male. They just had puppies Nov 21, my male is not neutered and my female is now in heat again, is there anything I can do to prevent them from breeding again ?Beside getting him neutered or separating them?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Melanie

When a female is in heat, the male dog will do almost anything he can to be able to breed her! Additionally, the female will have a strong desire to breed as well. It is extremely difficult to keep an intact male and female from breeding when the female is in heat.

I have seen all sorts of methods fail. I have seen people put underwear on the female, but the male can very easily get around that. I have seen people keep the male dog tied up on a big chain and the male was so determined that he actually broke the chain!

The only thing that I can recommend is to have them spayed/neutered. Keep in mind that if you get your male dog neutered, he will still have some sperm in his system for several weeks and can still get your female pregnant during that time.

Sard Oxy Plus. My cat accidently stood in some Sard Oxy Plus stain remover then licked her paws and... (8422 views)

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (12352 views)

Abdominal mass in a cat. My husband and I put down our Ivy today. It was rather sudden and unexpected and... (47046 views)

Scrubbing Bubbles toxic? My Toulouse is a male. I discovered one day that after I would exit the shower &... (21878 views)

Possible seizures? Our cat, Teddy, started having episodes of rigid front legs, swaying, and staggering... (7958 views)

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (10776 views)

Does my cat have asthma? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat is on Clindomycin for an allergy she was determined to... (11961 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (22367 views)

Male cat nipple problem. My male desexed cat has always had a enlarged nipple. It seems to be getting larger... (19452 views)

My cat's eye is foggy. Hello, My cat Paisley is 10 months old and her eye is foggy, her ears and nose are... (8819 views)