How to keep dogs from breeding.

Breed: Beagle/Boxer mix an
Hi there,

I have a one year old female Beagle/Boxer mix and a Lab/pitt mix male. They just had puppies Nov 21, my male is not neutered and my female is now in heat again, is there anything I can do to prevent them from breeding again ?Beside getting him neutered or separating them?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Melanie

When a female is in heat, the male dog will do almost anything he can to be able to breed her! Additionally, the female will have a strong desire to breed as well. It is extremely difficult to keep an intact male and female from breeding when the female is in heat.

I have seen all sorts of methods fail. I have seen people put underwear on the female, but the male can very easily get around that. I have seen people keep the male dog tied up on a big chain and the male was so determined that he actually broke the chain!

The only thing that I can recommend is to have them spayed/neutered. Keep in mind that if you get your male dog neutered, he will still have some sperm in his system for several weeks and can still get your female pregnant during that time.

Dog died suddenly. My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been... (24903 views)

Cat losing weight and vomiting. Sebastian was always a little overweight. Recently he has started losing weight,... (13287 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (32233 views)

Brown spots on puppy's belly. Hi Doctor. I've noticed an area along my puppies belly down to her private area... (62287 views)

Too aggressive petting? My cat enjoys having his bum smacked over and over. Hard. He's neutered male - he... (24057 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (14669 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (19606 views)

Lab not eating. Dakota, my lab, has stopped eating over the last couple of weeks and is losing... (13620 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie. We just got a puppy and she has some diarrhea. We got her on Saturday... (31861 views)

Severe liver problems. I took Dillinger to vet on Friday, and after a blood test and urine analysis the vet... (9510 views)