How to keep dogs from breeding.

Breed: Beagle/Boxer mix an
Hi there,

I have a one year old female Beagle/Boxer mix and a Lab/pitt mix male. They just had puppies Nov 21, my male is not neutered and my female is now in heat again, is there anything I can do to prevent them from breeding again ?Beside getting him neutered or separating them?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Melanie

When a female is in heat, the male dog will do almost anything he can to be able to breed her! Additionally, the female will have a strong desire to breed as well. It is extremely difficult to keep an intact male and female from breeding when the female is in heat.

I have seen all sorts of methods fail. I have seen people put underwear on the female, but the male can very easily get around that. I have seen people keep the male dog tied up on a big chain and the male was so determined that he actually broke the chain!

The only thing that I can recommend is to have them spayed/neutered. Keep in mind that if you get your male dog neutered, he will still have some sperm in his system for several weeks and can still get your female pregnant during that time.

Dogs eyes are lazy. Within the past 2 days I have noticed my dog's eyes are turing outward, like they... (86926 views)

Vomiting after allergy injection My sister took my dog to the vet yesterday where she recieved a shot to stop itching... (15232 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (19381 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (5785 views)

Gave meds to early. Hi Dr. Marie, We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early... (10202 views)

Itchy feet, belly, tail. I live in MA with my dog. We went to NY (an hour north of NYC) at the very beginning... (28985 views)

Pit Bull doesn't want to walk. Okay, A few minuets ago I went on a walk/jog with my playful Putbull/Lab, I had... (7887 views)

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (16445 views)

Trifexis overdose. My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. ... (63869 views)

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (7950 views)