How to keep dogs from breeding.

Breed: Beagle/Boxer mix an
Hi there,

I have a one year old female Beagle/Boxer mix and a Lab/pitt mix male. They just had puppies Nov 21, my male is not neutered and my female is now in heat again, is there anything I can do to prevent them from breeding again ?Beside getting him neutered or separating them?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Melanie

When a female is in heat, the male dog will do almost anything he can to be able to breed her! Additionally, the female will have a strong desire to breed as well. It is extremely difficult to keep an intact male and female from breeding when the female is in heat.

I have seen all sorts of methods fail. I have seen people put underwear on the female, but the male can very easily get around that. I have seen people keep the male dog tied up on a big chain and the male was so determined that he actually broke the chain!

The only thing that I can recommend is to have them spayed/neutered. Keep in mind that if you get your male dog neutered, he will still have some sperm in his system for several weeks and can still get your female pregnant during that time.

Wounds not healing. My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went... (4707 views)

Dog has loose stools. I adopted Levi, a beautiful and terrific champion show dog in August. I have never... (12668 views)

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (48483 views)

Wart on a cat? Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten... (22007 views)

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (7929 views)

Cat has swollen foot. I took my cat to the vet bc he was limping and they said he may have cut his foot... (5083 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (6885 views)

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (13177 views)

Dog can't stand. Vera is unable to stand on her back legs. She also cannot climb on to sofas or... (9967 views)

Urinating in house. Bella has started urinating in places other than her litter box. She has not been... (4612 views)