Meibomian gland adenoma.

Breed: Westie
Tessa has a little black growth on her eyelid. My vet has said it's a tumor and said that it's ok to leave it until it starts bothering the dog. My question is, can it be treated with any type of drops to help reduce it? The $800 vet bill to remove it is a little more than we can afford.

This sounds like it could be something called a meibomian gland adenoma. This is a tiny little growth that originates from the eyelid. In almost every case the growth is not cancerous.

I only remove them if:

-They are getting larger than 1/4 of the eyelid.
-They are rubbing on the eye and bothering the dog.
-They are ulcerating and bleeding.

Unfortunately the only way to get rid of a meibomian gland adenoma is to have it surgically removed. I know it looks like you could just snip it off or shrink it with something but that just doesn't work. The tumor always has a little stalk of tissue that extends into the eyelid. If we don't remove that stalk then it will just come back again. So, the surgery involves removing a piece of eyelid as well as the lump and this is why it takes longer than you would expect and subsequently costs more.

I hope that helps.

Hill's k/d for bladder stones Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the... (8429 views)

Eyes rolled back in head. About 3 months ago, Bruce's eyes rolled back in his head and become very blood shot.... (42604 views)

Flea problems. My dog Roxie has had a flea dip and has had her last months flea treatment, but she... (8565 views)

Staffordshire terriers and children. I have two female staffies who are extremely close, but who will nip and snarl at... (7177 views)

Chihuahua fell from couch. Hello. I have a sweet, loving, happy, and spoiled female chihuahua, weighing about... (9789 views)

White eye discharge in Guinea Pig. i have a guinea pig and she has lost alot of weight and shes not her self, she has... (13220 views)

Good cat foods. Hi Dr.! I'm currently a new cat owner. I found peachie wandering near the new... (14475 views)

Questions about Feliway. Am interested in buying Feliway for scratching but need to know the ingredients.... (17541 views)

Torn nail problem. my dog hooked her nail last saturday and broke the nail off very short and was... (11537 views)

Puppy sleeps all the time. Hi, We just got our puppy Marley on Sunday, 16. He is eating and drinking, and is 7... (9379 views)