Meibomian gland adenoma.

Breed: Westie
Tessa has a little black growth on her eyelid. My vet has said it's a tumor and said that it's ok to leave it until it starts bothering the dog. My question is, can it be treated with any type of drops to help reduce it? The $800 vet bill to remove it is a little more than we can afford.

This sounds like it could be something called a meibomian gland adenoma. This is a tiny little growth that originates from the eyelid. In almost every case the growth is not cancerous.

I only remove them if:

-They are getting larger than 1/4 of the eyelid.
-They are rubbing on the eye and bothering the dog.
-They are ulcerating and bleeding.

Unfortunately the only way to get rid of a meibomian gland adenoma is to have it surgically removed. I know it looks like you could just snip it off or shrink it with something but that just doesn't work. The tumor always has a little stalk of tissue that extends into the eyelid. If we don't remove that stalk then it will just come back again. So, the surgery involves removing a piece of eyelid as well as the lump and this is why it takes longer than you would expect and subsequently costs more.

I hope that helps.

Swollen nose. My 9 yo Female Samoyed has a swollen nose - the black part of the nose, on the top.... (6974 views)

Male cat has large breasts. Recently (2-3 weeks), my 8 year old male tabby cat has, what seem to be, slightly... (17995 views)

Puppy chewing legs and licking penis Harley chews on himself constantly. He likes his penis, he chews on his legs,... (12020 views)

Handling newborn kittens. Hello, My cat has recently had kittens. I think they are a day old. She had... (8890 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (14706 views)

Dog pees in the house. Woody has been peeing when I have gone to work in the bedroom. I take him out... (7709 views)

Cat is really hungry. Maya has feline asthma and has been on inhaled corticosteroids for a year... (15178 views)

Brown spots on puppy's belly. Hi Doctor. I've noticed an area along my puppies belly down to her private area... (41241 views)

Hypothermic dog. Two days ago my black lab pup fell threw some ice, he was in the water for about 5... (8659 views)

Tapeworms in kittens. Hey there, I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The... (10538 views)