Meibomian gland adenoma.

Breed: Westie
Tessa has a little black growth on her eyelid. My vet has said it's a tumor and said that it's ok to leave it until it starts bothering the dog. My question is, can it be treated with any type of drops to help reduce it? The $800 vet bill to remove it is a little more than we can afford.

This sounds like it could be something called a meibomian gland adenoma. This is a tiny little growth that originates from the eyelid. In almost every case the growth is not cancerous.

I only remove them if:

-They are getting larger than 1/4 of the eyelid.
-They are rubbing on the eye and bothering the dog.
-They are ulcerating and bleeding.

Unfortunately the only way to get rid of a meibomian gland adenoma is to have it surgically removed. I know it looks like you could just snip it off or shrink it with something but that just doesn't work. The tumor always has a little stalk of tissue that extends into the eyelid. If we don't remove that stalk then it will just come back again. So, the surgery involves removing a piece of eyelid as well as the lump and this is why it takes longer than you would expect and subsequently costs more.

I hope that helps.

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (22330 views)

Should liver biopsy be done? Dear Dr Haines, I have a 10 year old Bichon-Poodle-Maltese mix male dog (Max). ... (7432 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (251174 views)

Can I give my cat milk? Hi, could you please tell me if I can give my ragdoll kitten scrambled eggs made... (10448 views)

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (9056 views)

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (6146 views)

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (25018 views)

How often for heat? I'm wanting to breed my female Blue Heeler. She was last in heat at the beginning of... (12288 views)

My dog eats too fast. My dog eats too fast. He occasionally gags a bit or throws up shortly after eating,... (29419 views)

Swollen lip My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but... (14890 views)