Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Meibomian gland adenoma.

Species: Dog
Breed: Westie
Age: 5-8 years
Tessa has a little black growth on her eyelid. My vet has said it's a tumor and said that it's ok to leave it until it starts bothering the dog. My question is, can it be treated with any type of drops to help reduce it? The $800 vet bill to remove it is a little more than we can afford.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

This sounds like it could be something called a meibomian gland adenoma. This is a tiny little growth that originates from the eyelid. In almost every case the growth is not cancerous.

I only remove them if:

-They are getting larger than 1/4 of the eyelid.
-They are rubbing on the eye and bothering the dog.
-They are ulcerating and bleeding.

Unfortunately the only way to get rid of a meibomian gland adenoma is to have it surgically removed. I know it looks like you could just snip it off or shrink it with something but that just doesn't work. The tumor always has a little stalk of tissue that extends into the eyelid. If we don't remove that stalk then it will just come back again. So, the surgery involves removing a piece of eyelid as well as the lump and this is why it takes longer than you would expect and subsequently costs more.

I hope that helps.

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (12985 views)

Stop dog fighting. Hi I have 3 dogs and the one dog is a bit pushy towards the other dogs, she will... (5835 views)

Phenobarb shortage? my vet just informed me the phenobarbital my dog take is going up 600% in price...is... (15529 views)

Hamster cough. Do hamsters have to have a special treatment when they have got a... (12302 views)

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (20311 views)

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (32015 views)

Lump under eye. Hello Marie My yellow lab "Lucy" has developed a hard lump one inch under her left... (53692 views)

Beagle has lots of problems. I found my Beagle Lucky as a stray almost a year ago, he is around 4 years old. I... (7970 views)

Possible spleen cancer. About 2 wks ago noticed lack of appetite and lethargy. Took her to the vet who said... (12385 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (17046 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.