Meibomian gland adenoma.

Breed: Westie
Tessa has a little black growth on her eyelid. My vet has said it's a tumor and said that it's ok to leave it until it starts bothering the dog. My question is, can it be treated with any type of drops to help reduce it? The $800 vet bill to remove it is a little more than we can afford.

This sounds like it could be something called a meibomian gland adenoma. This is a tiny little growth that originates from the eyelid. In almost every case the growth is not cancerous.

I only remove them if:

-They are getting larger than 1/4 of the eyelid.
-They are rubbing on the eye and bothering the dog.
-They are ulcerating and bleeding.

Unfortunately the only way to get rid of a meibomian gland adenoma is to have it surgically removed. I know it looks like you could just snip it off or shrink it with something but that just doesn't work. The tumor always has a little stalk of tissue that extends into the eyelid. If we don't remove that stalk then it will just come back again. So, the surgery involves removing a piece of eyelid as well as the lump and this is why it takes longer than you would expect and subsequently costs more.

I hope that helps.

Rimadyl and liver problems. Hi Dr. Marie Last night my dog sustained some type of injury to himself while... (11404 views)

Pink bumps on dog. My dog has two small bumps on top of his head. I took a picture, but I don't see a... (41473 views)

Doesn't like s/d. My dog has bladder stones(a lot) and was put on Hills Prescription diet s/d Canine... (13540 views)

Dog biting his own penis. I have 2 foster brothers who had been severely abused when I took them in. (Broken... (107531 views)

Does my dog have mange? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a little 8 month old chihuahua. His name is chico and he has... (10918 views)

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (16731 views)

Cat's stomach making noises My cat's stomach has been making noises today including gurgling and rumbling. This... (224527 views)

Not eating or using litter box. about 4 or 5 days ago my cat stopped eating and using the bethroom for about 2 days.... (17111 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (61456 views)

Vaginal bleeding. Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she... (105881 views)