Meibomian gland adenoma.

Breed: Westie
Tessa has a little black growth on her eyelid. My vet has said it's a tumor and said that it's ok to leave it until it starts bothering the dog. My question is, can it be treated with any type of drops to help reduce it? The $800 vet bill to remove it is a little more than we can afford.

This sounds like it could be something called a meibomian gland adenoma. This is a tiny little growth that originates from the eyelid. In almost every case the growth is not cancerous.

I only remove them if:

-They are getting larger than 1/4 of the eyelid.
-They are rubbing on the eye and bothering the dog.
-They are ulcerating and bleeding.

Unfortunately the only way to get rid of a meibomian gland adenoma is to have it surgically removed. I know it looks like you could just snip it off or shrink it with something but that just doesn't work. The tumor always has a little stalk of tissue that extends into the eyelid. If we don't remove that stalk then it will just come back again. So, the surgery involves removing a piece of eyelid as well as the lump and this is why it takes longer than you would expect and subsequently costs more.

I hope that helps.

Pregnancy question. My golden retriver mated with my chiuahuh and the chihuhah is pregnat would i need... (9617 views)

Why is my 10 year old chihuahua coughing? Hi Dr. Marie! I have a 10yr old female Chihuahua that has a coughing problem. At... (38640 views)

GNRH implant I am asking about the GnRH implant to bring a dog into heat. MY FIRST MAIN... (13082 views)

Do dogs get sciatica? Hi, about three weeks ago zues' back legs seemed week and clumsy and he was dripping... (13809 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (33763 views)

Bald spot on maltese. I just noticed a bald spot about the size of 2 half dollars on my Maltese right... (18264 views)

My hamster bites my friends. My hamster dosent bite me ever, he only bites other people. He has never ever... (8393 views)

Female dog humping. My female pit bull everyday, anytime I lay down on my couch or bed, she jumps up on... (8876 views)

Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate. what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please... (30413 views)

Missed vaccines. My dog is approximatley 4 years old and hasnt had any injections since she was... (5307 views)