Cancerous growth in dog's mouth?

Breed: bernese mountain dog
Hi,
I have just spotted a growth in my dogs mouth. What does mouth cancer look like in dogs? What other symptoms occur? Is there any significance in the fact that my dog has been limping off and on recently? What are the success rates in treating mouth cancer.

Thanks
Mary

Lump questions are always hard to answer online, but I can give you a few general guidelines that may help.

Most (but not all) types of mouth cancers just look "ugly". They are usually dark in color (either black, purple or dark red), inflamed and irregular in appearance.

Some dogs can get a benign growth in their mouth called an epulis. These are nothing to worry about.

I really can't make a connection to the growth in the mouth and limping. There are some cancers that can spread to different parts of the body but there aren't any I can think of that are known to affect both bones and the mouth.

It is probably a good idea to have your vet take a look at Taboo just to put your mind at ease.

Dog ate moldy food. I know its likely my question won't get answered, and this is a question that can't... (27030 views)

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (7530 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (10727 views)

URTI in cats. Hi I have got 2 cats, Xena 1,6 years and Nemo, a kitten 12 weeks. When the Nemo... (12258 views)

When to do shots? just wanted to know my dog got her parvovirus on 5/01/11 and her leptospirosis on... (7611 views)

Hamster too cold? hi! my hamster has been sleeping alot. she is usally up sometimes during the day and... (6734 views)

Older cat with vomiting and white nose. My cat is a 13y.o., outdoor (day) / indoor (night), mouser/birder, and has been a... (16514 views)

Questions about spay. I have an appointment to get Gracie spayed on the 17th and had a few questions. ... (15676 views)

Hungry and losing weight. hi our cat is scrounging for food 24hrs a day even if he has just eaten. we dont... (6956 views)

Dog leaking urine when sleeping. My dog is leaking urine when she is sleeping. She pees on the bed or on the couch. ... (118933 views)