Cancerous growth in dog's mouth?

Breed: bernese mountain dog
Hi,
I have just spotted a growth in my dogs mouth. What does mouth cancer look like in dogs? What other symptoms occur? Is there any significance in the fact that my dog has been limping off and on recently? What are the success rates in treating mouth cancer.

Thanks
Mary

Lump questions are always hard to answer online, but I can give you a few general guidelines that may help.

Most (but not all) types of mouth cancers just look "ugly". They are usually dark in color (either black, purple or dark red), inflamed and irregular in appearance.

Some dogs can get a benign growth in their mouth called an epulis. These are nothing to worry about.

I really can't make a connection to the growth in the mouth and limping. There are some cancers that can spread to different parts of the body but there aren't any I can think of that are known to affect both bones and the mouth.

It is probably a good idea to have your vet take a look at Taboo just to put your mind at ease.

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (58758 views)

Overdose of drontal. My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we... (32054 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (10694 views)

Diarrhea after having puppies. is it nomal for a dog to have the runs after giving birth to 11 puppies a week... (25436 views)

Pregnant cat is vomiting. My cat got out and didn't come home for about a month. When she got out she was in... (19027 views)

Vomiting Dog. I contacted you about Little White Dog on April 24. She had had an exploratory to... (19301 views)

Excessive drooling. My Puggle started drooling a few days ago and I assumed she had gotten a red ant or... (22609 views)

Arthritis in elbow. My 10 year old German Shepherd mix has been limping on her front leg. It has... (15493 views)

Benadryl for thunderstorms? My dog is terified of thunderstoms. Pants, tongue hanging out, eyes huge, and heart... (37648 views)

Wobbly lab. Hello - About 4 weeks ago, Koda started acting very stiff around his neck so we... (14752 views)