Can a dog transmit HIV or hep c

Breed: dog
I know you've had a similar question before but I'm unsure about something.
A few days ago while out on his walk my dog picked up a heroin user's spoon,some cotton wool and a sticker saying something about 'Warning, syringes can damage your veins' wrapped up in tin foil. I think my dog may have had bleeding gums. Can a dog contract the human form of Hepatitis C and also pass it on to a person if the dog had or has bleeding gums.I asked an online vet and she said there is a small chance.This got me really scared. And I know HIV is a human virus but what if the dog's gums are bleeding? It's the fact he may have had bleeding gums that worries me.
Please can you advise me.
Kind Regards,
Louise.

Thank you for an interesting question.

It is virtually impossible for your dog to transmit HIV or Hep C to you, even if he did have bleeding gums.

These viruses are spread via direct contact with fresh fluid (usually semen, but blood is possible) from the infected person.

If a person reuses a needle that was originally used by someone with HIV, there is a risk that they could inject themselves with blood that is remaining in the needle. If there was spread of blood from the needle and into your veins then you could get the virus.

So, let's say that there *was* HIV or Hep C virus in the needle. The chances that blood from the needle mixed with blood from your dog's gums are really small. But, even if *did* happen, neither of these viruses can live in dog blood.

So, here is what would have to happen in order for you to get Hepatitis C or HIV in this situation:

1) There would have to be blood in the syringe.
2) There would have to be virus in the blood.
3) The blood would have had to mingle with fresh blood from your dog's gums.
4) IMMEDIATELY, the blood would have to be transferred to your blood stream.

I just did some research for you and could not find a single article where a dog transmitted hepatitis C or HIV to a person.

You have nothing to worry about!

Dear Dr.Marie,
Thank you for your answer. I just wanted to check. What my dog had was a heroin users spoon wrapped in tin foil. Is he still safe?
Kind Regards,
Louise

Dear Dr Marie,
I forgot to ask does this mean that my dog can't be infected with the virus and be ill with Hepatitis C himself?
Sorry to bother you again.
Louise

You're very welcome and you're definitely not a bother.

If a dog was to eat a significant amount of heroin it can definitely affect him. However, you would have been seeing neurological signs (dilated pupils, drunkenness, etc.) within minutes or hours of the ingestion.

It is quite unlikely that your dog ate enough for you to be worried about. In theory if he ate a large piece of tin foil it could cause an intestinal obstruction. But, if he simply picked up the spoon and tin foil then you really have nothing to worry about.

Dogs can't get HIV and they can't get hepatitis C. There is a form of hepatitis that dogs can get, but it is not the same as what humans can get.

Hope that clarifies things for you!

Dear DR. Marie,
Thank you so much your advice. You've been a real comfort and have relieved me of my worries.
Yours,
Louise

You're very welcome! Have a great day!

Can't move back legs. Cat is not able to move back legs and yowling. Maybe paralyzed? No accidents. Need... (16799 views)

Sick 4 week old puppies. i have 5 chihuahua puppies of 4 weeks, and last night one of the pup's started... (20433 views)

Rabies from a feral kitten? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings and I hope this e-mail reaches you in good health. I... (20242 views)

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (11606 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (5309 views)

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (13334 views)

Frontline Plus and Advantage Multi? Can I give my dog Advantage Multi plus the Frontline Plus. I know the Advantage... (18190 views)

Occult blood in urine. Hi Dr. Marie This is in regard to Oreo, I dont know if you recall our situation... (12285 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (48621 views)

Cat losing weight and vomiting. Sebastian was always a little overweight. Recently he has started losing weight,... (11835 views)