Can a dog transmit HIV or hep c

Breed: dog
I know you've had a similar question before but I'm unsure about something.
A few days ago while out on his walk my dog picked up a heroin user's spoon,some cotton wool and a sticker saying something about 'Warning, syringes can damage your veins' wrapped up in tin foil. I think my dog may have had bleeding gums. Can a dog contract the human form of Hepatitis C and also pass it on to a person if the dog had or has bleeding gums.I asked an online vet and she said there is a small chance.This got me really scared. And I know HIV is a human virus but what if the dog's gums are bleeding? It's the fact he may have had bleeding gums that worries me.
Please can you advise me.
Kind Regards,
Louise.

Thank you for an interesting question.

It is virtually impossible for your dog to transmit HIV or Hep C to you, even if he did have bleeding gums.

These viruses are spread via direct contact with fresh fluid (usually semen, but blood is possible) from the infected person.

If a person reuses a needle that was originally used by someone with HIV, there is a risk that they could inject themselves with blood that is remaining in the needle. If there was spread of blood from the needle and into your veins then you could get the virus.

So, let's say that there *was* HIV or Hep C virus in the needle. The chances that blood from the needle mixed with blood from your dog's gums are really small. But, even if *did* happen, neither of these viruses can live in dog blood.

So, here is what would have to happen in order for you to get Hepatitis C or HIV in this situation:

1) There would have to be blood in the syringe.
2) There would have to be virus in the blood.
3) The blood would have had to mingle with fresh blood from your dog's gums.
4) IMMEDIATELY, the blood would have to be transferred to your blood stream.

I just did some research for you and could not find a single article where a dog transmitted hepatitis C or HIV to a person.

You have nothing to worry about!

Dear Dr.Marie,
Thank you for your answer. I just wanted to check. What my dog had was a heroin users spoon wrapped in tin foil. Is he still safe?
Kind Regards,
Louise

Dear Dr Marie,
I forgot to ask does this mean that my dog can't be infected with the virus and be ill with Hepatitis C himself?
Sorry to bother you again.
Louise

You're very welcome and you're definitely not a bother.

If a dog was to eat a significant amount of heroin it can definitely affect him. However, you would have been seeing neurological signs (dilated pupils, drunkenness, etc.) within minutes or hours of the ingestion.

It is quite unlikely that your dog ate enough for you to be worried about. In theory if he ate a large piece of tin foil it could cause an intestinal obstruction. But, if he simply picked up the spoon and tin foil then you really have nothing to worry about.

Dogs can't get HIV and they can't get hepatitis C. There is a form of hepatitis that dogs can get, but it is not the same as what humans can get.

Hope that clarifies things for you!

Dear DR. Marie,
Thank you so much your advice. You've been a real comfort and have relieved me of my worries.
Yours,
Louise

You're very welcome! Have a great day!

Do dogs get sciatica? Hi, about three weeks ago zues' back legs seemed week and clumsy and he was dripping... (15092 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (11229 views)

Shaking and tucking tail. 3 days ago my dog, who was being taken on a walk in the morning, suddenly started... (196725 views)

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (8780 views)

Dog urinates while walking Recently, I have noticed that my dog will walk along urinating. It seems to me that... (36226 views)

Cat losing fur on belly. Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back... (85963 views)

Cat vomiting and not eating. Hi Dr. Marie...I wonder if you could help me figure out if my cat is really sick. ... (33130 views)

Anxious lab. He is over weight 16-17 years old male last sat myself(brian) and my wife and son... (6991 views)

Dog keeps licking butt. My dog keeps licking her butt. I took her 2 days ago to have her anal glands... (20653 views)

Itchy scrotum after grooming. Our dog is constantly licking his area where his testicles used to be (he is... (32172 views)