Can a dog transmit HIV or hep c

Breed: dog
I know you've had a similar question before but I'm unsure about something.
A few days ago while out on his walk my dog picked up a heroin user's spoon,some cotton wool and a sticker saying something about 'Warning, syringes can damage your veins' wrapped up in tin foil. I think my dog may have had bleeding gums. Can a dog contract the human form of Hepatitis C and also pass it on to a person if the dog had or has bleeding gums.I asked an online vet and she said there is a small chance.This got me really scared. And I know HIV is a human virus but what if the dog's gums are bleeding? It's the fact he may have had bleeding gums that worries me.
Please can you advise me.
Kind Regards,
Louise.

Thank you for an interesting question.

It is virtually impossible for your dog to transmit HIV or Hep C to you, even if he did have bleeding gums.

These viruses are spread via direct contact with fresh fluid (usually semen, but blood is possible) from the infected person.

If a person reuses a needle that was originally used by someone with HIV, there is a risk that they could inject themselves with blood that is remaining in the needle. If there was spread of blood from the needle and into your veins then you could get the virus.

So, let's say that there *was* HIV or Hep C virus in the needle. The chances that blood from the needle mixed with blood from your dog's gums are really small. But, even if *did* happen, neither of these viruses can live in dog blood.

So, here is what would have to happen in order for you to get Hepatitis C or HIV in this situation:

1) There would have to be blood in the syringe.
2) There would have to be virus in the blood.
3) The blood would have had to mingle with fresh blood from your dog's gums.
4) IMMEDIATELY, the blood would have to be transferred to your blood stream.

I just did some research for you and could not find a single article where a dog transmitted hepatitis C or HIV to a person.

You have nothing to worry about!

Dear Dr.Marie,
Thank you for your answer. I just wanted to check. What my dog had was a heroin users spoon wrapped in tin foil. Is he still safe?
Kind Regards,
Louise

Dear Dr Marie,
I forgot to ask does this mean that my dog can't be infected with the virus and be ill with Hepatitis C himself?
Sorry to bother you again.
Louise

You're very welcome and you're definitely not a bother.

If a dog was to eat a significant amount of heroin it can definitely affect him. However, you would have been seeing neurological signs (dilated pupils, drunkenness, etc.) within minutes or hours of the ingestion.

It is quite unlikely that your dog ate enough for you to be worried about. In theory if he ate a large piece of tin foil it could cause an intestinal obstruction. But, if he simply picked up the spoon and tin foil then you really have nothing to worry about.

Dogs can't get HIV and they can't get hepatitis C. There is a form of hepatitis that dogs can get, but it is not the same as what humans can get.

Hope that clarifies things for you!

Dear DR. Marie,
Thank you so much your advice. You've been a real comfort and have relieved me of my worries.
Yours,
Louise

You're very welcome! Have a great day!

Corn in dog food. I have heard that corn is bad in dog food. Also that alfalfa, brewers yeast, and... (14605 views)

Bald on belly. My cat is around seven years old and recently started going bald on her stomach.... (10387 views)

Cat abscess not healing. About two weeks ago we took my cat to the vet, he has a abscess near his bottom, the... (10941 views)

Pea sized lump. Hi Dr. This morning I noticed a pea-sized lump on one of Max's ribs on the left... (56908 views)

Dog licking everything My dog has recently started compulsivley licking his paws/us/anything else he can... (13862 views)

Bump on ribcage. Hello, I noticed today that the kitten has a hard bone like rounded bump right where... (16384 views)

One small testicle. I have a 25 week old male pup who had 2 normal testicles at 8 weeks old. At about 10... (20816 views)

Insulin shock Lucy is diabetic.She gets 4units 2x daily with food..Monday she started to have... (6172 views)

Itchy smelly dark skin. Good day! I am Arby Bautista from Laguna, Philippines. I searched the internet... (5645 views)

Will mating kill my dog? i have had my dog for 2 weeks an she has just mated with my brothers dog but the... (7172 views)