Perianal fistula

Breed: Mixed
Dear Dr Marie,

My baby doggie, Mushka, has developed small pimple-sized boils near his anus. He's had them for a few days now.

I took him to the vet who said it's probably due to anal gland infection. The vet expressed his anal glands (which had never been expressed before).

This seems - to me - to be either an insect bite or some skin allergy. He had full blood work + stool test done yesterday and everything came out normal.

I'm attaching a pic so you can see for yourself.

http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/exgenis/media/pimples-near-dog-anus_zpsd7779815.jpg.html

He seems to be in discomfort so I want these pimples to clear out soon. What do I need to do?

Thank you for sending me this photo:

pimples on dog's anus

These lesions really look sore. They are very unlikely to be due to an insect bite or an allergy. I can't make a diagnosis without actually examining Mushka but I would be worried that these are something called perianal fistulae or anal furunculosis. This is a very serious condition which is usually an immune mediated disease. It's most common in German Shepherd dogs but it can happen in any breed.

Sometimes we will treat these with antibiotics, but if it is truly a perianal fistula then your dog may need immunosuppressant medications such as steroids or a cream called tacrolimus. Many dogs need this medication for the rest of their life.

It may be worthwhile asking your vet if perianal fistula could be the cause of these.

I do hope things clear up.

Limping after cat fight. Hello, My cat recently had a fight with another cat. Now he is limping on his left... (10479 views)

Bleeding anal glands. My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal... (9437 views)

Lifespan of a rat? What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is... (6421 views)

Bathed dog in gasoline. my dog's losing a lot of hair and her skin shows discoloration.when i was away for... (16864 views)

Vomiting after allergy injection My sister took my dog to the vet yesterday where she recieved a shot to stop itching... (15215 views)

Goopy eyes. My kittens eyes are BOTH gooping up a lot. I do not know if it is an infection, or... (10427 views)

calamine lotion on dogs Doeden has a itchy rash, raised pale bumps, on the back of his neck; I put on some... (92362 views)

Dog's face is swollen. my dog's face is swollen, her muzzle is swollen on both sides and very firm/hard... (129448 views)

Sore anus after using chlorox wipe. I put a Clorox Disenfecting Wipes on my dog's anus. It's been a couple of days and... (12568 views)

Itchy mouth in a dog. For quite sometime now she has been experiencing something that is irritating her... (67084 views)