Perianal fistula

Breed: Mixed
Dear Dr Marie,

My baby doggie, Mushka, has developed small pimple-sized boils near his anus. He's had them for a few days now.

I took him to the vet who said it's probably due to anal gland infection. The vet expressed his anal glands (which had never been expressed before).

This seems - to me - to be either an insect bite or some skin allergy. He had full blood work + stool test done yesterday and everything came out normal.

I'm attaching a pic so you can see for yourself.

http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/exgenis/media/pimples-near-dog-anus_zpsd7779815.jpg.html

He seems to be in discomfort so I want these pimples to clear out soon. What do I need to do?

Thank you for sending me this photo:

pimples on dog's anus

These lesions really look sore. They are very unlikely to be due to an insect bite or an allergy. I can't make a diagnosis without actually examining Mushka but I would be worried that these are something called perianal fistulae or anal furunculosis. This is a very serious condition which is usually an immune mediated disease. It's most common in German Shepherd dogs but it can happen in any breed.

Sometimes we will treat these with antibiotics, but if it is truly a perianal fistula then your dog may need immunosuppressant medications such as steroids or a cream called tacrolimus. Many dogs need this medication for the rest of their life.

It may be worthwhile asking your vet if perianal fistula could be the cause of these.

I do hope things clear up.

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (16999 views)

Euthanize aggressive dog? I adopted my dog Nubby a year ago from a local shelter. A few months after I adopted... (25782 views)

Watery eyes. Minnie's eyes are very watery, she can't seem to keep them open and her nose is... (9045 views)

Cat with green patch on skin. first i would like to thank you for your time. When my cat was a kitten i thought... (12580 views)

CCNU chemotherapy. My 12.5 year old Boxer mix was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last week. Surgery... (9253 views)

Lump on my dog. Hello Dr. Marie, I sincerely hope that this is real, and that if it is and you... (30449 views)

Lumps on dog's neck. My dog keeps getting small red lumps on his body especially over the back of his... (9844 views)

Lumps all over body. Hello, I have a 6 year old italian grey hound. Before he was very very active and... (27336 views)

Is URTI contagious to other cats? I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI).... (6872 views)

Itchy dog. whats would be the best flea medication for a my dog?? hes been chewing for months... (7393 views)