Oozing boil on dog's paw.

Breed: Labrador
My dog has a sort of woozing boil on her paw and all around it there is hair loss ..What is it ?

There are a few things that can cause a boil on a dog's paw.

The first possibility is if there is a foreign object in there such as a splinter or a piece of glass. Sometimes if this is the case we can fix the problem by soaking the paw in some epsom salts three times a day. However, often we will need to use either antibiotics or sometimes even surgery (by your vet) in order to fix the problem.

It's also possible that this is something called an interdigital cyst. We don't know why dogs get these cysts. Again, they sometimes go away with antibiotics and sometimes need surgery.

And another possibility is a tumor.

I would try the epsom salt soaks but if things are not improving within 48 hours then you should have your vet take a look.

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (9541 views)

Large mammary lump. Hi Dr Marie My dog Jenna is 13. Lately i have been aware that she has developed a... (10065 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (18469 views)

Rabies from my dog? my 70 days old cocker spaniel bit my toe and there ws little bleeding and i cleaned... (5986 views)

Itchy lump on eyelid. I have a 2 year old Shepherd mix, and he has developed a pink mole/growth on his... (8174 views)

Scabs on cat's ears. Our cat has spots on her ears that look like bites or sores. We have had her to the... (9658 views)

Is this fleas? Dear Dr. Marie, This is my 2nd time asking a question. Thank you for your great... (7091 views)

Great Dane not eating. Dr. Marie, my dog molly just recently started not eating dog food or drinking and... (11864 views)

Dog only has one testicle. my dog has only one penis can it mate... (14082 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (9140 views)