Anxious at night time.

Breed: Shih Tzu
Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely pressing
We have 2 Shih Tzu's, Molly & Max, That we have had basically no issues with, until a few months ago, When out the blue, Molly changed totally, Not in the day time, in the day she is totally normal, absolutely fine, responds to call well (always has) However at around 2am, every night, she suddenly becomes this different dog, it is seriously becoming an issue, it is 6am in the morning and I am writing this message because I'm unable to sleep (Due to the noise), Okay, so to explain, well, basically she scratches at the back door to go out, however where it gets so cold we can't let her out (The times when she gets out, she sits, for hours, shivering from the cold not moving). She begins to pant as well, as soon as it gets late, and the worst thing is, she suddenly stops acknowledging you, like totally, you can yell, offer treats , and you get absolutely no response, when in the day, she is pretty obedient, She also tries to lock her self in the utility room by wedging the door shut, and then scratches on the door, the only thing is, once you come down stairs (We've tried ignoring for days with no luck) she continues to pants and stratch, and spends her time scratching at the front and back doors, We've been extremely patient with it and have tried both positive and negative reinforcement, we've tried taking her on walks before bed, we've tried everything, but it is absolutely beyond our capacity to deal with anymore, She also tries to pull down the baby gate we have at the bottom of the stairs and cries at it, Our other shih tzu, Max, is totally fine, She has never had any anxiety before, and it doesn't appear to be the case now, we've even tried to offer her her favourite treats to see how unresponsive she becomes, and she doesn't even sniff it, Literally no response,

A friend of ours suggested a parasite of some kind

please help!

I'm so sorry to hear that you're dealing with this odd behavior all of a sudden. Your dog sounds like she is quite distressed.

I can't say that this is a normal behavior. And it isn't one that I would say I have seen commonly.

It seems that for some reason your dog is super anxious at night time. One possible reason would be if she was experiencing some pain. For example, many shih tzus will have back pain and it can be much worse at night time.

Another possible reason for anxiety at night time would be if she is losing her vision. Many dogs can lose their vision and it can be obviously much worse in low light levels. I wonder if she would be any better if you put her in a bright room when this is happening?

It's also possible that there is some unknown reason for the anxiety. Who knows, perhaps she heard a loud noise or had some sort of fright at night time and she is expecting it to happen again.

If this were my case I would first off be doing what I could to check your dog's vision. But, unfortunately if there is a vision problem there is likely not much that can be done to fix it. And then, I would probably be recommending a trial of medication. The first thing I might do is try her on an anti-inflammatory drug for a couple of nights to see if that makes a difference. If so, then pain would be the most likely culprit. Your vet will also do a physical exam and perhaps they can uncover something like back pain.

If the anti-inflammatory didn't do the trick then I'd probably be prescribing an anti-anxiety medication such as Reconcile or Clomicalm. These can take some time to start working, but usually they do work well. If things improve, then, after a few weeks or months you can probably wean her off of the medicines.

I hope things look up soon!

Does parvo affect sperm? My dog, Moose, had Parvo Virus when he was eight months old. Yes, Moose got Parvo... (7687 views)

Symptoms of Lupus Help! owners have spent $1100 on test and everything comes back normal but Archie is... (8972 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i was woke up this morning mu my female pup crying and yelping. so i found her... (13254 views)

Bump on cat's ear. Hello, I have found a red bump inside of my cat's ear, it is semi-soft and feels... (19633 views)

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (232814 views)

Low T4 and thyroid medicine. I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (3656 views)

Medication for aggressive dog? Hi! We adopted a 2.5 year old male white shepherd/lab, Denver, almost a year ago. At... (6332 views)

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (8530 views)

Dog panting at night time. I would like to know if you can tell me why my dog is panting at night time. I have... (269550 views)

High liver enzymes. He has had major allergy problems since April 2010. He is seeing both holistic and... (17652 views)