Anxious at night time.

Breed: Shih Tzu
Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely pressing
We have 2 Shih Tzu's, Molly & Max, That we have had basically no issues with, until a few months ago, When out the blue, Molly changed totally, Not in the day time, in the day she is totally normal, absolutely fine, responds to call well (always has) However at around 2am, every night, she suddenly becomes this different dog, it is seriously becoming an issue, it is 6am in the morning and I am writing this message because I'm unable to sleep (Due to the noise), Okay, so to explain, well, basically she scratches at the back door to go out, however where it gets so cold we can't let her out (The times when she gets out, she sits, for hours, shivering from the cold not moving). She begins to pant as well, as soon as it gets late, and the worst thing is, she suddenly stops acknowledging you, like totally, you can yell, offer treats , and you get absolutely no response, when in the day, she is pretty obedient, She also tries to lock her self in the utility room by wedging the door shut, and then scratches on the door, the only thing is, once you come down stairs (We've tried ignoring for days with no luck) she continues to pants and stratch, and spends her time scratching at the front and back doors, We've been extremely patient with it and have tried both positive and negative reinforcement, we've tried taking her on walks before bed, we've tried everything, but it is absolutely beyond our capacity to deal with anymore, She also tries to pull down the baby gate we have at the bottom of the stairs and cries at it, Our other shih tzu, Max, is totally fine, She has never had any anxiety before, and it doesn't appear to be the case now, we've even tried to offer her her favourite treats to see how unresponsive she becomes, and she doesn't even sniff it, Literally no response,

A friend of ours suggested a parasite of some kind

please help!

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

I'm so sorry to hear that you're dealing with this odd behavior all of a sudden. Your dog sounds like she is quite distressed.

I can't say that this is a normal behavior. And it isn't one that I would say I have seen commonly.

It seems that for some reason your dog is super anxious at night time. One possible reason would be if she was experiencing some pain. For example, many shih tzus will have back pain and it can be much worse at night time.

Another possible reason for anxiety at night time would be if she is losing her vision. Many dogs can lose their vision and it can be obviously much worse in low light levels. I wonder if she would be any better if you put her in a bright room when this is happening?

It's also possible that there is some unknown reason for the anxiety. Who knows, perhaps she heard a loud noise or had some sort of fright at night time and she is expecting it to happen again.

If this were my case I would first off be doing what I could to check your dog's vision. But, unfortunately if there is a vision problem there is likely not much that can be done to fix it. And then, I would probably be recommending a trial of medication. The first thing I might do is try her on an anti-inflammatory drug for a couple of nights to see if that makes a difference. If so, then pain would be the most likely culprit. Your vet will also do a physical exam and perhaps they can uncover something like back pain.

If the anti-inflammatory didn't do the trick then I'd probably be prescribing an anti-anxiety medication such as Reconcile or Clomicalm. These can take some time to start working, but usually they do work well. If things improve, then, after a few weeks or months you can probably wean her off of the medicines.

I hope things look up soon!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Can a neutered dog breed? Hi, I have a 2 year old chihuahua weighs 4 pounds named Frenchy Fry. I nuetered him... (13685 views)

Bumps on bulldog. Dr. Marie, Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which... (9995 views)

Anxious at night time. Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely... (10175 views)

Dog shedding. Why is our dog shedding so... (6835 views)

Is mammary tumor cancerous? I'm wondering whether to remove a small tumor from my 7 yr old chihuahua/dachshund's... (3222 views)

Dog doesn't drink much and burps. We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good... (16889 views)

Kidney problem or diabetes? Hi Dr Marie, Hicks is 17 years old now. Still moderately active. 2 years ago, she... (2745 views)

Hamster has crusty eye. my hamster is 2 years old and a week ago i noticed his right eye has crusted over i... (5507 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (9272 views)

Dog has an upset stomach. Hi, (again) Dr. Marie: For the past week, Jammy has been having an upset stomach... (8397 views)