Grade 2 mast cell tumor.

Breed: Golden Retriever
Hi, I want to adopt a 9yr old female Golden Retrever from this breeder. The breeder informed me that she found a lump on her back. I opted to have the breeder remove the lump and have a biopsy done. The breeder gave me the results which was Stage II MCT. I still want to adopt her but, I need to know what the next step is after this diagnosis? Thank you!!

Hi and thanks for your question.

Mast cell tumors can sometimes be quite benign and other times can be quite worrisome.

The first thing I would ask the breeder is whether she meant this was a Grade 2 mast cell tumor rather than a Stage 2 mast cell tumor.

In regards to grades of mast cells, here is the difference:

• Grade 1 MCT: Very easy to cure

• Grade 2 MCT: Usually cured with surgery as long as the pathologist says the margins are clean (i.e. they got all of the tumor out). 90% are cured with surgery.

• Grade 3 MCT: Usually very bad news

When we have a mast cell tumor that we are worried about we will sometimes go further and do staging. (We may be worried if the pathologist says that the tumor margins are "dirty", or if it was a very aggressively growing tumor. Staging is looking for evidence of spread of mast cell cancer to other parts of the body such as the liver, spleen or lymph nodes. It usually involves aspiration of lymph nodes and other organs and ultrasounding the abdomen and xrays of the chest.

Usually, if a Grade 2 MCT is completely excised, we don't go ahead with staging.

So, in summary, if this was a grade 2 tumor and the margins are clear then this dog has a 90% chance of not having any more problems with mast cells.

If there was some staging done then we'll need more information as to where the tumor is spreading before we decide how serious it is.

I asked the breeder and it is Grade II MCT...I apologize for the misinformation. Her vet said Grade II MCT with narrow margins..is that a prognosis I need to worry about? Narrow margins meaning? Her vet also stated to her that they got it all out. Please let me know..thank you for clarifying te differenc of Grade II and Stage II MCT!

Sincerely, Florence

No worries about the misinformation! From what you have described, it sounds like Twinkle has a very good chance of being just fine.

"Narrow margins" means that around the tumor, the vet was also able to remove some tumor-free tissue as well which is very good. It would be better news to have "wide margins" where there is more tumor-free tissue. However, "dirty margins" would mean that not all of the cancer was removed.

So, according to the published statistics, if a Grade 2 MCT is removed with clean margins (which it was) there is a 90% chance that it will never come back.

Hi Dr Marie,

I just want to say your insight has provided some relief to know she has a chance at a few more yrs..I pray. I know with any cancer there is still that slim chance of it returning but, I know with her age sometimes illnesses are likely. You have been very helpful =) Do you think if I adopt her that I need to do any further testing or just keep an eye on any lumps that may resurface?

Sincerely, Florence

Glad to know that I have helped! That's why I do this. :)

It doesn't sound like there is anything more that you need to do for her at this point. If a new lump surfaces though then she needs to get to the vet right away to test it. If it is another mast cell the sooner it is removed the better.

Once again, thank you for adopting this girl! It's often hard for the dogs that aren't puppies to find homes.

Thanks again so much! I totally agree older dogs tend to have a harder time finding homes..I truly believe they make great citizens of society at an older age lol...she is soooo cute too. Have a wonderful yr and I definately will pay again to ask a question =)

Sincerely, Florence

Are soy nuts bad for dogs? Are roasted soynuts safe for... (19427 views)

Bump on dog's ear. I noticed that the flap of my dog's ear has this pimple like bump on it. you can't... (21762 views)

Bump on ribcage. Hello, I noticed today that the kitten has a hard bone like rounded bump right where... (18863 views)

Spaying an older dog. My dog is 10 years old and has had 2 litters of puppies. I would like to have her... (8404 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (10729 views)

Questions about Feliway. Am interested in buying Feliway for scratching but need to know the ingredients.... (20660 views)

Interstitial cystitis? Charlotte is constantly squatting as if she has to go, but nothing is coming out. I... (11564 views)

Puppy breathing hard. Tucker is only 8 weeks old, I can't get his needles until this Tues. I think he has... (15092 views)

mycoplasma felis respiratory infection Hi. I asked you a question previously about Indigo and I'd really like your... (36810 views)

Iverheart Plus and Max. i have been giving my dog Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention; i recently... (29222 views)