Do dogs get chicken pox?

Breed: staffordshire bull t
Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and now star has got. A rash full of red spots that look like chicken pox all over her belly could it be that and what would she need or should i just let it pass by an its own thankyou x

Chicken pox is not at all contagious from people to dogs. In fact, dogs don't get chicken pox at all.

The most common reason for spots on a dogs belly is a bacterial skin infection. These always need to be treated with antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

If the spots are all on the belly it could be due to mosquito or blackfly bites but the time of year is wrong for this.

I'd advise a vet visit soon. If we catch a skin infection sooner rather than later it is much easier to treat!

Wobbly after ear cleaning. Hi, The last two times Tigger has been to the vet, they noted that she had a mass... (21034 views)

Cancer in a cat's chest. Hi there, I hope this wont be too long, but I want to provide the history of the... (13149 views)

White bumps on anus. Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are quite busy with all your other questions and I am... (23726 views)

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (14777 views)

Heartworm in a puppy? I recently sold an 11 week old pomeranian on January 24, 2010 due to allergies. I... (14643 views)

Straining to urinate. bella acts like she has to urinate all the time. when she squats very little comes... (10159 views)

Diabetes and cushings. Doc, I need an objective viewpoint. My 14 yr 3mo old dog Buddy has been diagnosed 3... (27151 views)

Guinea pig noises. Heys! I have only one guinea pig and she is female. Sometimes my guinea pig makes... (12472 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (26850 views)

Can cats transmit viruses to people hello.. i wanted to ask that my kitten is not vaccinated and she bites and scratches... (8044 views)