Do dogs get chicken pox?

Breed: staffordshire bull t
Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and now star has got. A rash full of red spots that look like chicken pox all over her belly could it be that and what would she need or should i just let it pass by an its own thankyou x

Chicken pox is not at all contagious from people to dogs. In fact, dogs don't get chicken pox at all.

The most common reason for spots on a dogs belly is a bacterial skin infection. These always need to be treated with antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

If the spots are all on the belly it could be due to mosquito or blackfly bites but the time of year is wrong for this.

I'd advise a vet visit soon. If we catch a skin infection sooner rather than later it is much easier to treat!

Blood tinged urine. Dr. Marie, My cat does not pee in her litterbox. Instead she will pee right... (10671 views)

Dog can't move tail. My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems... (10838 views)

Itchy between anus and penis. My dog is licking/scratching a lot in the area between his anus and his penis. It's... (31294 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (8612 views)

Sterile nodular panniculitis? Hi, My dog has a patch of nodules on his neck. I took him to our normal vet five... (28941 views)

Does my dog have mange? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a little 8 month old chihuahua. His name is chico and he has... (7971 views)

Kitten is walking funny. Recently I have noticed that our new addition to the family has been walking... (12784 views)

Cat having trouble urinating. I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She... (6617 views)

Dog with allergies. Dr, I'm afraid Max's allergies are getting the better of him. Symptom... (6590 views)

Hungry and losing weight. Our 17 year old indoor cat, one of two from the same litter, has always been skinny,... (11363 views)