Cancer in lungs?

Breed: Standard Pomeranian
Josie has had a persistent cough for over a year, so I took her to my vet for a check up. He did an x-ray which showed white spots on her lungs, fluid build up around her lungs and a distended liver. When we groom her we have a Lions cut and her fur has become wirery and her skin is flaky along her back. He put her on antibiotics and water pills thinking see might have pneumonia but this doesn't seem to be helping. she has a good appetite and normal stool , could this be a fungal infection or lung cancer???

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Oh dear, this does not sound good.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to examine your dog and see her test results, but the symptoms that you are describing sound quite serious. Do you know if any blood tests were done? I would likely want to be running some tests to see if there is obvious liver damage.

My biggest concern would be that there is cancer present and the cancer is spreading to the liver or other parts of the body. We don't see a lot of primary lung cancer in dogs. It usually starts somewhere else and moves to the lungs.

The poor coat is probably because the body is fighting trying to deal with all of the disease processes that are going on.

A fungal infection is definitely a possibility. Usually fungal infections in the lung have a very distinct pattern that is different than cancer. But it is certainly possible to have difficulty distinguishing the two.

It sounds like more tests are in order so that you can get some definitive results. If things are not improving with the antibiotics I'd want to do some blood tests and also an ultrasound to look for cancer in the liver.

Unfortunately if there is cancer in the lungs and liver then treatment options may be limited.

I'm so sorry for this bad news.

Thanks for the quick response...
I called my Vet and going to do some blood work on Monday.
I would like to keep you in the loop if this is okay?
Based on the blood work I will talked to him about an ultrasound.

Again, thanks

Mike

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to hearing what the test results say.

Bromonidine (like amitraz) toxicity. MY DOG SWALLOWED SOME BRIMONIDINE TARTRATE OPHTHALMIC 5 ML SHE IS VERY WEAK AND... (9697 views)

Dog ate staples My dog may have ingested 4 staples last night around midnight. She is acting... (31874 views)

Bumps around anus. Itchiness and swollen bumps "cauliflower" looking around her vagina and anus. She... (44885 views)

Dog is balding. can any1 give advice i got a staff dog male hes 4yrs old over the last 5 days hes... (6503 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My Dog Was Lost For 2 days and i found him 12-11-10 at 4pm curled up in a ball... (7407 views)

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (14347 views)

Still paralyzed after back surgery. We need help and guidance please! We have an active family, 3 boys (13,9,8) and one... (25509 views)

How to get cat to eat. I have a cat that developed anorexia. She lost so much weight that she developed... (3747 views)

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (6823 views)

Laryngeal paralysis and vomiting. my dog gags and coughs when he eats and also eats mulch and grass and subsequently... (6781 views)