Cancer in lungs?

Breed: Standard Pomeranian
Josie has had a persistent cough for over a year, so I took her to my vet for a check up. He did an x-ray which showed white spots on her lungs, fluid build up around her lungs and a distended liver. When we groom her we have a Lions cut and her fur has become wirery and her skin is flaky along her back. He put her on antibiotics and water pills thinking see might have pneumonia but this doesn't seem to be helping. she has a good appetite and normal stool , could this be a fungal infection or lung cancer???

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Oh dear, this does not sound good.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to examine your dog and see her test results, but the symptoms that you are describing sound quite serious. Do you know if any blood tests were done? I would likely want to be running some tests to see if there is obvious liver damage.

My biggest concern would be that there is cancer present and the cancer is spreading to the liver or other parts of the body. We don't see a lot of primary lung cancer in dogs. It usually starts somewhere else and moves to the lungs.

The poor coat is probably because the body is fighting trying to deal with all of the disease processes that are going on.

A fungal infection is definitely a possibility. Usually fungal infections in the lung have a very distinct pattern that is different than cancer. But it is certainly possible to have difficulty distinguishing the two.

It sounds like more tests are in order so that you can get some definitive results. If things are not improving with the antibiotics I'd want to do some blood tests and also an ultrasound to look for cancer in the liver.

Unfortunately if there is cancer in the lungs and liver then treatment options may be limited.

I'm so sorry for this bad news.

Thanks for the quick response...
I called my Vet and going to do some blood work on Monday.
I would like to keep you in the loop if this is okay?
Based on the blood work I will talked to him about an ultrasound.

Again, thanks

Mike

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to hearing what the test results say.

Laryngeal paralysis and vomiting. my dog gags and coughs when he eats and also eats mulch and grass and subsequently... (14299 views)

Light sensitivity in older cat. Jack, 12 years old, was diagnosed with CKD 6months ago and is having Hills... (12996 views)

Should I get an ultrasound? Dear Dr. Marie, My dog has a grade 3-4 heart murmur that she’s had her whole... (12498 views)

Large lymph nodes. I spoke with you on sunday night about my shih tzu., I brought him to the vet on... (26217 views)

Swollen lab. Hi, my name is Ron Lamoureux. One month ago I noticed that my 2 yr old Lab... (11917 views)

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (10198 views)

Questions about anesthesia Hi my name is Jazmin. I'm currently in college now in vet tech school. i have a... (8845 views)

Home treatment for abscess. My cat had an abscess I didnt know about until it blew 4 days ago. I have cut away... (10872 views)

Blood at end of urine stream. My female dog has had blood in her urine for 2 months. I live in Belize, Central... (20366 views)

Cat not eating much. Hi. My cat as some allergy problems since he is allergic to turkey and corn. For the... (16932 views)