Cancer in lungs?

Breed: Standard Pomeranian
Josie has had a persistent cough for over a year, so I took her to my vet for a check up. He did an x-ray which showed white spots on her lungs, fluid build up around her lungs and a distended liver. When we groom her we have a Lions cut and her fur has become wirery and her skin is flaky along her back. He put her on antibiotics and water pills thinking see might have pneumonia but this doesn't seem to be helping. she has a good appetite and normal stool , could this be a fungal infection or lung cancer???

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Oh dear, this does not sound good.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to examine your dog and see her test results, but the symptoms that you are describing sound quite serious. Do you know if any blood tests were done? I would likely want to be running some tests to see if there is obvious liver damage.

My biggest concern would be that there is cancer present and the cancer is spreading to the liver or other parts of the body. We don't see a lot of primary lung cancer in dogs. It usually starts somewhere else and moves to the lungs.

The poor coat is probably because the body is fighting trying to deal with all of the disease processes that are going on.

A fungal infection is definitely a possibility. Usually fungal infections in the lung have a very distinct pattern that is different than cancer. But it is certainly possible to have difficulty distinguishing the two.

It sounds like more tests are in order so that you can get some definitive results. If things are not improving with the antibiotics I'd want to do some blood tests and also an ultrasound to look for cancer in the liver.

Unfortunately if there is cancer in the lungs and liver then treatment options may be limited.

I'm so sorry for this bad news.

Thanks for the quick response...
I called my Vet and going to do some blood work on Monday.
I would like to keep you in the loop if this is okay?
Based on the blood work I will talked to him about an ultrasound.

Again, thanks

Mike

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to hearing what the test results say.

Grade 5 heart murmur in kitten. I raise and show Devon Rexes. I have a litter of 6 kittens that were 8 weeks old... (6671 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (11834 views)

Chronic doxycycline use. How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline... (7796 views)

Pregnant if bred when bleeding? I have a golden retriever that's about to be 3years old. She recently mated with... (50385 views)

Heart enlargement? Hi I have a female terrier dog, Fido and she is 9 years old. Couple of months ago my... (3300 views)

Male cat has large breasts. Recently (2-3 weeks), my 8 year old male tabby cat has, what seem to be, slightly... (14913 views)

Kitten died. Hello I work at the humane society. We recently adopted out a 13 week old long... (4925 views)

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (7762 views)

Puppy not eating. why isn't my minature pincher puppy not eatting? i tried to feed him myself but he... (6765 views)

Testicular and splenic masses. My 9 year old Golden Retriever had enlarged testicles with no other symptoms. I took... (5496 views)