Cancer in lungs?

Breed: Standard Pomeranian
Josie has had a persistent cough for over a year, so I took her to my vet for a check up. He did an x-ray which showed white spots on her lungs, fluid build up around her lungs and a distended liver. When we groom her we have a Lions cut and her fur has become wirery and her skin is flaky along her back. He put her on antibiotics and water pills thinking see might have pneumonia but this doesn't seem to be helping. she has a good appetite and normal stool , could this be a fungal infection or lung cancer???

Thanks for any help.

Oh dear, this does not sound good.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to examine your dog and see her test results, but the symptoms that you are describing sound quite serious. Do you know if any blood tests were done? I would likely want to be running some tests to see if there is obvious liver damage.

My biggest concern would be that there is cancer present and the cancer is spreading to the liver or other parts of the body. We don't see a lot of primary lung cancer in dogs. It usually starts somewhere else and moves to the lungs.

The poor coat is probably because the body is fighting trying to deal with all of the disease processes that are going on.

A fungal infection is definitely a possibility. Usually fungal infections in the lung have a very distinct pattern that is different than cancer. But it is certainly possible to have difficulty distinguishing the two.

It sounds like more tests are in order so that you can get some definitive results. If things are not improving with the antibiotics I'd want to do some blood tests and also an ultrasound to look for cancer in the liver.

Unfortunately if there is cancer in the lungs and liver then treatment options may be limited.

I'm so sorry for this bad news.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Thanks for the quick response...
I called my Vet and going to do some blood work on Monday.
I would like to keep you in the loop if this is okay?
Based on the blood work I will talked to him about an ultrasound.

Again, thanks

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to hearing what the test results say.

Dog has teeth stuck in her cheek. i noticed my dogs mouth was bleeding a little bit while we were playing so i opened... (9092 views)

Abscess on paw. has a very swollen front paw that spilt open between middle toes puss and blood ... (39137 views)

Meowing all the time? pain? Hi Dr. Marie Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops.... (6075 views)

Flea problems. I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control... (7011 views)

Sniffling, sneezing cat. For the past two days our cat has been constantly sniffling and sneezing and has... (48212 views)

Seizure and diarrhea. Hi. My dog had a seizure this morning. her legs started shaking but she still had... (24467 views)

Dog shedding like crazy. my dog is shedding like crazy year round what should i do? ... (9159 views)

Cat has flaky skin. My Maine Coon, Nino has had flaky skin for quite awhile. I had him at the vet a few... (5997 views)

Older cat with vomiting and white nose. My cat is a 13y.o., outdoor (day) / indoor (night), mouser/birder, and has been a... (14569 views)

Pink bumps on dog. My dog has two small bumps on top of his head. I took a picture, but I don't see a... (28039 views)