Dog can't move tail.

Breed: Labrador
My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems to be just freely moving. But she doesn't cry when we tug on it or bend it. Could her tail be broken? It just started this evening.

There are a few things that can cause a dog's tail to do this.

Yes, it is possible that the tail is broken. We can also see damage like this if the tail has been pulled. This can do damage to the nerves where the tail meets the body.

Has Chloe been swimming in any cold water lately? If so, there is an actual condition called "Cold Water Tail" or "Limber Tail" which can cause the tail to hang limp. This usually goes away within a few days but it is best to have her treated with anti-inflammatory medication prescribed by your vet.

If the tail is still not right within 24-48 hours then a vet visit is the best idea.

Biopsy? Dr, As you know Max has been having issues with vomiting and soft stools. 9... (10874 views)

Cat regurgitating fluid. We have a (female) calico cat who was regurgitating 4 - 5 times per day and not... (11525 views)

Urinary problems and fleas. hi dr i have 2 cockers a male and a female both are house broken but thay been... (10042 views)

sexing a cat WE found a stray cat and our question is how can we tell what gender it... (11496 views)

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (14830 views)

Should we do surgery? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat Gus will be 15 in 3 months. We have been working with his... (12165 views)

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (11033 views)

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (17102 views)

Ear infection in labradoodle. Hi Dr. Marie, I have an 8 month old Australian Labradoodle who has had a yeast... (19741 views)

Is my dog hypothyroid? My bichon is obese. She weighs 35 lbs but is also taller than my other bichon who... (9396 views)