Dog can't move tail.

Breed: Labrador
My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems to be just freely moving. But she doesn't cry when we tug on it or bend it. Could her tail be broken? It just started this evening.

There are a few things that can cause a dog's tail to do this.

Yes, it is possible that the tail is broken. We can also see damage like this if the tail has been pulled. This can do damage to the nerves where the tail meets the body.

Has Chloe been swimming in any cold water lately? If so, there is an actual condition called "Cold Water Tail" or "Limber Tail" which can cause the tail to hang limp. This usually goes away within a few days but it is best to have her treated with anti-inflammatory medication prescribed by your vet.

If the tail is still not right within 24-48 hours then a vet visit is the best idea.

Increased thirst and urination. Hi Dr. Marie, This question concerns crystals in urine. Starting about 1 week... (4677 views)

Not eating, panting. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs all together. Daisy is the alpha of the group.... (14020 views)

Vomited dewormer. I took Tommy to get his 12wk shots at Petco. He was given a yellow oral medicine not... (6527 views)

Repeated diarrhea and vomiting. Dr. Marie: Thank you for your input and warning -- this will be a bit lengthy. I... (10615 views)

Ferret with hair loss and wobbliness. My ferett has lost all hair on back and i came home today and he is extremly wobbly... (18278 views)

Cat xray with fluid in chest. We euthanized our cat this week based on the recommendation of our vet. We feel we... (20387 views)

Puppy ate grapes. My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9... (7666 views)

Urinating in house. Bella has started urinating in places other than her litter box. She has not been... (4585 views)

Dog going blind. Our dog Vinnie started suddenly to become lethargic and then over a period of 4... (7339 views)

Bleeding from penis. My Siberian Husky has been bleeding from his penis for the last 2 days, It comes and... (14371 views)