Dog can't move tail.

Breed: Labrador
My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems to be just freely moving. But she doesn't cry when we tug on it or bend it. Could her tail be broken? It just started this evening.

There are a few things that can cause a dog's tail to do this.

Yes, it is possible that the tail is broken. We can also see damage like this if the tail has been pulled. This can do damage to the nerves where the tail meets the body.

Has Chloe been swimming in any cold water lately? If so, there is an actual condition called "Cold Water Tail" or "Limber Tail" which can cause the tail to hang limp. This usually goes away within a few days but it is best to have her treated with anti-inflammatory medication prescribed by your vet.

If the tail is still not right within 24-48 hours then a vet visit is the best idea.

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (18712 views)

Cat is whiney when peeing my 12 yr old cat cherokee had a bladder infection about 2 months ago. i changed the... (6755 views)

Get rid of parvo virus. I have a general question about Parvo virus, Its a very very common virus I know,... (25976 views)

Dog is obsessively licking at things. Hello. I have a question about my dog. I think she's experienced some tummy... (7943 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (19431 views)

Paraneoplastic syndrome? In 3/2013 after suffering 2 "seizures," Clark was diagnosed with insulinoma from... (6079 views)

Is my dog pregnant? We think my dog is pregnant.She keeps trying to make little areas for herself and... (4763 views)

Low fat foods and tripe for pancreatitis. My 3 yr old Golden who was on Orijen for 2 years had a pancreatitis attack about 6... (23460 views)

Lump on dog's foot. Hello, my 12 month old female boxer has a small pink lump on her toe/paw. I noticed... (26693 views)

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (8029 views)