Dog can't move tail.

Breed: Labrador
My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems to be just freely moving. But she doesn't cry when we tug on it or bend it. Could her tail be broken? It just started this evening.

There are a few things that can cause a dog's tail to do this.

Yes, it is possible that the tail is broken. We can also see damage like this if the tail has been pulled. This can do damage to the nerves where the tail meets the body.

Has Chloe been swimming in any cold water lately? If so, there is an actual condition called "Cold Water Tail" or "Limber Tail" which can cause the tail to hang limp. This usually goes away within a few days but it is best to have her treated with anti-inflammatory medication prescribed by your vet.

If the tail is still not right within 24-48 hours then a vet visit is the best idea.

Stomatitis and FIV. my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i... (15498 views)

Thin older cat. Dr. Marie, My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also... (13242 views)

Coughing blood and mucus. Marvin has been periodically coughing up mucus with blood in it. He has a tumor of... (33313 views)

Slimy white stuff in urine. Last night my cat urinated on the couch. That's abnormal on it's own but, in... (31993 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (6550 views)

Dog bleeding from anus. My dog is slightly bleeding from her anus, but it isn't noticeable until she sits... (32000 views)

Gave meds to early. Hi Dr. Marie, We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early... (11450 views)

Diarrhea with mucus. Dr, Are you familiar with those bullwinkle sticks. They are about 13" long, bull... (23897 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (18261 views)

Puppy knuckling on back legs. Hi I have a pug who is 5 months old, he was fine until about 2 week ago. He started... (8938 views)