Dog can't move tail.

Breed: Labrador
My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems to be just freely moving. But she doesn't cry when we tug on it or bend it. Could her tail be broken? It just started this evening.

There are a few things that can cause a dog's tail to do this.

Yes, it is possible that the tail is broken. We can also see damage like this if the tail has been pulled. This can do damage to the nerves where the tail meets the body.

Has Chloe been swimming in any cold water lately? If so, there is an actual condition called "Cold Water Tail" or "Limber Tail" which can cause the tail to hang limp. This usually goes away within a few days but it is best to have her treated with anti-inflammatory medication prescribed by your vet.

If the tail is still not right within 24-48 hours then a vet visit is the best idea.

Soft yellow stools and weight loss Sorry that this is long, but I want to give ALL details in case it helps. I... (40336 views)

Ketoconazole, Heartgard, Comfortis. Good morning. Well this is kind of a follow-up question on Poppi. I wrote to you on... (6443 views)

Allergic reaction and diarrhea. Dr, My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best... (10688 views)

Rimadyl and kidney problems. On November 24 2010, Trixie got into the neighbors trash. She was vomiting and had... (21232 views)

Phenobarb shortage? my vet just informed me the phenobarbital my dog take is going up 600% in price...is... (14403 views)

Seizures wouldn't stop. My dog suddenly had status epilepticus without having prior history of seizures. He... (29996 views)

Dog ate absorbent chicken pad. My dog just ate one of those absorbent pads from a chicken meat tray......would this... (78567 views)

Becoming a veterinary assistant? I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches... (5313 views)

Guinea pig with mammary tumor. what does a large open lump on a guinea pigs tit mean? the tit has gone!... (13273 views)

Weakness in back legs and twitching eye. Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and... (10459 views)