Wound on ear won't heal.

Breed: Boxer
My puppy accidentally scratched her inner ear, the wound scabbed over but now she keeps reopening the wound by scratching it again, crying whenever she scratches it. How do I stop her from doing this so the wound can heal?

Ear wounds can be VERY difficult to get to heal up properly. There is so much blood supply that they start to bleed very easily with even a little trauma.

The first thing I would suggest is to have a vet take a look at Layla's ear. If the wound is infected then she will need antibiotics in order to get it to heal.

Your vet may suggest an elizabethan collar (the "satellite dish" type of collars) to put on her until it heals.

Sometimes what we do with ear wounds is to bandage the ear right to her head until it is healed. There is a real art to doing this however and I would advise that you have your vet do this instead of attempting it at home.

Hope she is better soon!

Puppy and adult dog vomiting. Our 8 yr old lab became ill about 2 weeks ago with occassional vomiting, diarrhea,... (5017 views)

Recipe for skunk odor. My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the... (9944 views)

Pancreatic enzymes. How do we handle a situation when we unexpectely temporaryly are without the... (8436 views)

Two kittens limping. Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant... (6420 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will... (11964 views)

Blood in urine. I can not afford to take her to a vet...so here I am. I have just noticed while... (9871 views)

Do you like being a vet? Hi Dr. Marie I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very... (10345 views)

Hamster has crusty eye. my hamster is 2 years old and a week ago i noticed his right eye has crusted over i... (8899 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (7608 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (7600 views)