Wound on ear won't heal.

Breed: Boxer
My puppy accidentally scratched her inner ear, the wound scabbed over but now she keeps reopening the wound by scratching it again, crying whenever she scratches it. How do I stop her from doing this so the wound can heal?

Ear wounds can be VERY difficult to get to heal up properly. There is so much blood supply that they start to bleed very easily with even a little trauma.

The first thing I would suggest is to have a vet take a look at Layla's ear. If the wound is infected then she will need antibiotics in order to get it to heal.

Your vet may suggest an elizabethan collar (the "satellite dish" type of collars) to put on her until it heals.

Sometimes what we do with ear wounds is to bandage the ear right to her head until it is healed. There is a real art to doing this however and I would advise that you have your vet do this instead of attempting it at home.

Hope she is better soon!

Is it ok to shave a cat? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to... (14191 views)

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (20584 views)

Severe skin problems. My dog Leila started licking on 8/1/12. Her spots looked like hot spots on elbows... (8994 views)

Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma. i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed... (14886 views)

Megacolon. my cat has megacolon.we give him lactulose 1 1/2 oz 2 times a day & cisapride 1 ml 2... (12178 views)

Constipated kittens. I am fostering 5 kittens. I think they are about 5 weeks old. They still cannot use... (13020 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (10820 views)

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (44813 views)

Is clostridium zoonotic? Clostridium Type A has been known to cause sudden death in healthy deer but it has... (10967 views)

Puppy vaccinations. I have a new puppy. I was given his vaccination record (number of... (6827 views)