Wound on ear won't heal.

Breed: Boxer
My puppy accidentally scratched her inner ear, the wound scabbed over but now she keeps reopening the wound by scratching it again, crying whenever she scratches it. How do I stop her from doing this so the wound can heal?

Ear wounds can be VERY difficult to get to heal up properly. There is so much blood supply that they start to bleed very easily with even a little trauma.

The first thing I would suggest is to have a vet take a look at Layla's ear. If the wound is infected then she will need antibiotics in order to get it to heal.

Your vet may suggest an elizabethan collar (the "satellite dish" type of collars) to put on her until it heals.

Sometimes what we do with ear wounds is to bandage the ear right to her head until it is healed. There is a real art to doing this however and I would advise that you have your vet do this instead of attempting it at home.

Hope she is better soon!

Are these lymph nodes? I noticed about 2 days ago my 4yr old cat looked like a chipmunk. I felt around her... (10323 views)

Low T4 and thyroid medicine. I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (4713 views)

Mass in cat's chest? Hello, My cat, a sterilized indoor-living Japanese Bobtail, is now 4 years old... (19192 views)

Wheatgrass for cats? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a question for Fei Meow again. As Fei Meow is very happy... (22618 views)

Is my dog pregnant? We think my dog is pregnant.She keeps trying to make little areas for herself and... (4878 views)

Are soy nuts bad for dogs? Are roasted soynuts safe for... (16718 views)

Stop barking at other dogs. hello when my dog is in the yard, she will bark at other dogs passing. she is a... (5167 views)

Noticing metallic odor. Hi! I recently adopted a dog from a NYC euth list. I've had her for about 3 weeks... (36929 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could... (8242 views)

Boxer with distended stomach and pale gums ******Urgent Please******CAN NOT AFFORD UPGRADE [Editor's Note: Questions are... (18189 views)