Wound on ear won't heal.

Breed: Boxer
My puppy accidentally scratched her inner ear, the wound scabbed over but now she keeps reopening the wound by scratching it again, crying whenever she scratches it. How do I stop her from doing this so the wound can heal?

Ear wounds can be VERY difficult to get to heal up properly. There is so much blood supply that they start to bleed very easily with even a little trauma.

The first thing I would suggest is to have a vet take a look at Layla's ear. If the wound is infected then she will need antibiotics in order to get it to heal.

Your vet may suggest an elizabethan collar (the "satellite dish" type of collars) to put on her until it heals.

Sometimes what we do with ear wounds is to bandage the ear right to her head until it is healed. There is a real art to doing this however and I would advise that you have your vet do this instead of attempting it at home.

Hope she is better soon!

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (29872 views)

Immodium overdose? I may have overdosed my chihuahua on immodium ad yesterday. I gave her a humans dose... (16554 views)

Cat with pseudomonas infection. Sorry to bother you again. I wrote to you abt Shakey who has Pseudomas bacteria... (8402 views)

Fly biting seizures. At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies.... (17498 views)

Take temperature orally? My dog is recovering from pretty serious surgery. I am supposed to be taking his... (29108 views)

Lethargic cat My cat has been lethargic for a couple days. Noticed yesterday afternoon. She... (16264 views)

Unexplained liver problems. Dr. Marie, I have a now 14 year old yorkie with some complex medical issues and... (6177 views)

Coconut milk for dogs. Okay my dog has suffered colitis since he was a pup, numerous vets said his food was... (106734 views)

Dog is drooling. My dog is drooling non-stop! It just started this morning after I let him... (18293 views)

Can you die from a cat bite? hello dr.marie.i am too small to pay your fees but scared that i am not getting any... (17745 views)