Dog scratching and biting.

Breed: German Shepherd
My dog has recently started scratching and biting at himself excessively, I have looked at him with a magnifier and can't see any fleas, ticks, or other insects, he just got bathed and groomed and still does it, what am I missing? thank you!

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

At this time of year the most common reason for a dog to suddenly be itchy is definitely fleas.

Fleas can cause a dog to be itchy anywhere but here is the most common area that is affected:

where fleas live on dogs

It is really common for a dog to have fleas and for you not to be able to see anything. Sometimes you can see flea dirt. This looks like little black flecks. If you take a piece of this dirt and put it on a paper towel and add some water to it you should get it to make a little red smear.

However, if your dog is itchy above the tail then even if I didn't see flea dirt I would treat for fleas.

Do not buy a flea product from the pet store. They don't work. This has been the worst year I have ever seen for fleas. My thought is that the use of pet store products has created resistance amongst fleas.

These are the products that I find work well...Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution.

If the dog is itchy on the feet then this could be due to allergies. Most dogs with allergies do need to be on medication prescribed by a vet.

Tumor on spinal cord. My dog is diagnosed with cancer. An NMR has been done. The tumor is affecting his... (6878 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (11895 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i was woke up this morning mu my female pup crying and yelping. so i found her... (16004 views)

Dark spot on eye. scooby recently has a darker spot on his pupil, other than that his health is... (28556 views)

sexing a cat WE found a stray cat and our question is how can we tell what gender it... (9589 views)

Bloody pee in dalmatian. what does it mean when his pee has blood in it? what should i do... (9723 views)

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (11704 views)

Dog suddenly paralyzed. My beloved Pug, Newt, passed away last October.She was 12 years old. She developed a... (45544 views)

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (9378 views)

Heart murmur in puppy. Does this sound like a "normal" heart for a 10 week old Chihuahua pup? I know it's... (7014 views)