Dog scratching and biting.

Breed: German Shepherd
My dog has recently started scratching and biting at himself excessively, I have looked at him with a magnifier and can't see any fleas, ticks, or other insects, he just got bathed and groomed and still does it, what am I missing? thank you!

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

At this time of year the most common reason for a dog to suddenly be itchy is definitely fleas.

Fleas can cause a dog to be itchy anywhere but here is the most common area that is affected:

where fleas live on dogs

It is really common for a dog to have fleas and for you not to be able to see anything. Sometimes you can see flea dirt. This looks like little black flecks. If you take a piece of this dirt and put it on a paper towel and add some water to it you should get it to make a little red smear.

However, if your dog is itchy above the tail then even if I didn't see flea dirt I would treat for fleas.

Do not buy a flea product from the pet store. They don't work. This has been the worst year I have ever seen for fleas. My thought is that the use of pet store products has created resistance amongst fleas.

These are the products that I find work well...Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution.

If the dog is itchy on the feet then this could be due to allergies. Most dogs with allergies do need to be on medication prescribed by a vet.

Milk for cat? Is milk good for a one month old... (7374 views)

Pink lump on dog's paw. I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in... (59441 views)

Cat with painful lump. my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he... (16914 views)

How to make cat urinate. is there something we can put in her food to make her... (8262 views)

Swollen neck on a cat. my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho.... (6512 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (47717 views)

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (12954 views)

Not eating or using litter box. about 4 or 5 days ago my cat stopped eating and using the bethroom for about 2 days.... (14665 views)

Inbreeding dogs. is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies... (41989 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (66739 views)