Dog scratching and biting.

Breed: German Shepherd
My dog has recently started scratching and biting at himself excessively, I have looked at him with a magnifier and can't see any fleas, ticks, or other insects, he just got bathed and groomed and still does it, what am I missing? thank you!

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

At this time of year the most common reason for a dog to suddenly be itchy is definitely fleas.

Fleas can cause a dog to be itchy anywhere but here is the most common area that is affected:

where fleas live on dogs

It is really common for a dog to have fleas and for you not to be able to see anything. Sometimes you can see flea dirt. This looks like little black flecks. If you take a piece of this dirt and put it on a paper towel and add some water to it you should get it to make a little red smear.

However, if your dog is itchy above the tail then even if I didn't see flea dirt I would treat for fleas.

Do not buy a flea product from the pet store. They don't work. This has been the worst year I have ever seen for fleas. My thought is that the use of pet store products has created resistance amongst fleas.

These are the products that I find work well...Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution.

If the dog is itchy on the feet then this could be due to allergies. Most dogs with allergies do need to be on medication prescribed by a vet.

Chicken jerky treats making dog sick My 2 yr old Shizu/Poodle has been scratching and her water intake seems to have... (7251 views)

Lump on jaw. OK...my cat has a lump on her neck/jaw. One vet has told me it was an... (28468 views)

Do cats get leptospirosis? Hi... My Name is Dasha.. i'm from Jakarta, Indonesia. I had a kitten, named Lilo,... (13217 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My dog is just laying here stiff in the rear but wont move anything but his head. He... (11418 views)

Is this a flea problem? My small 3 year old in door cat very recently survived a bout with flea anemia. We... (11014 views)

Did laundry soap cause seizures? two week ago my dog was covered in Laundry Detergent. My had it everywhere, even... (11746 views)

Head Tilt. My dog carries his head to one side. Do you think he could have an ear infection or... (15345 views)

Dog not eating i have a boxer labrador mix .his name is angus.because summer has started and the... (26240 views)

Debris on cat's eye. Good afternoon! My cat seems to be having eye issues. 6 months ago I took her to... (15630 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (9802 views)