Dog scratching and biting.

Breed: German Shepherd
My dog has recently started scratching and biting at himself excessively, I have looked at him with a magnifier and can't see any fleas, ticks, or other insects, he just got bathed and groomed and still does it, what am I missing? thank you!

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

At this time of year the most common reason for a dog to suddenly be itchy is definitely fleas.

Fleas can cause a dog to be itchy anywhere but here is the most common area that is affected:

where fleas live on dogs

It is really common for a dog to have fleas and for you not to be able to see anything. Sometimes you can see flea dirt. This looks like little black flecks. If you take a piece of this dirt and put it on a paper towel and add some water to it you should get it to make a little red smear.

However, if your dog is itchy above the tail then even if I didn't see flea dirt I would treat for fleas.

Do not buy a flea product from the pet store. They don't work. This has been the worst year I have ever seen for fleas. My thought is that the use of pet store products has created resistance amongst fleas.

These are the products that I find work well...Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution.

If the dog is itchy on the feet then this could be due to allergies. Most dogs with allergies do need to be on medication prescribed by a vet.

Rodent ulcer treatment options. My cat is 9 yrs old has it 4th case of rodent ulcer on its mouth usely it takes... (12565 views)

Anal gland problems. Hello. I am a veterinary assistant and I am having an issue with my Cane Corso's... (7334 views)

Are these tapeworms? My cat has little cream color things on the chair after she sits for a while. They... (25890 views)

Debris on cat's eye. Good afternoon! My cat seems to be having eye issues. 6 months ago I took her to... (11555 views)

Cat xray with fluid in chest. We euthanized our cat this week based on the recommendation of our vet. We feel we... (19319 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (26112 views)

Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Two years ago, Sheena was diagnosed with neurofibrosarcoma, or peripheral nerve... (12303 views)

Dogs with occasional diarrhea. I have two German shepherds, male and female. The female is 7 yrs, the male is 5... (31582 views)

Lymphangectasia in a dog Hi Dr, Sorry to bother you again. Max's biopsies came back. strong... (7866 views)

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (9860 views)