Can cats transmit viruses to people

Breed: orange tabby
hello.. i wanted to ask that my kitten is not vaccinated and she bites and scratches .. does it cause any disease please inform.. waiting for ur answer

Hi and thanks for your question.

The only virus that a kitten could transmit to you is rabies, but this would be quite unlikely. It would be transmitted by a bite, but your kitten would have to have been bitten by a rabid animal first.

However, the biggest concern is for infection. Cats can carry quite nasty bacteria on their claws and teeth. A cat bite or scratch can become seriously infected. So, if you feel that one of your wounds is not healing well then I would suggest you see the doctor right away.

Cancer or infection? My dog recently completed radiation therapy for a brain tumor and he handled the... (7975 views)

Dog's urine smells unusual. A few days ago I noticed that my dog's urine smells a bit strong. I can't really... (140205 views)

Vomiting all food. My mom's adopted shelter cat, Luci, has a strange problem. It used to be nearly... (9217 views)

Ear infection and FIV. Hi, I got Monty from a rescue home 5 months ago. he is an fiv + cat and looked so... (8894 views)

Cat has vomiting and diarrhea. Hi my cat is about one year old and we feed him and give him water everday but he... (16441 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (13125 views)

Lump on dog's side after fight. Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's... (14177 views)

Is this a liver shunt? Hello Dr. Marie, Murphy is 16 months old. For the first 6 months of her life, she... (6622 views)

Peeing in house and throwing up. My dog has not woke us up to be let ouside since he has been house trained. A... (71643 views)

Lab is not eating. my dog is a labrador retriever and about 9 years old. he was a solid eater and never... (9579 views)