Regular anal gland expression.

Breed: Pug

I am trying to get some answers about my puppy's anal gland problem. I have to take him to the vet for expression every 7 to 14 days and it's getting very expensive. I have done what they have told me to do to try to help- I have changed his food to one without preservatives. It has been 7 months since I changed his food and that has not helped. Is there anything else you can reccomend? Should I consider surgery?

Thank you for your time,

Stacy

For cases like this I often find that if I do an anal gland infusion that this can help stretch out the visits for a couple of months.

If I had a case that needed the glands expressed every 7 to 14 days I would likely be recommending surgery to have the glands removed. It can be a little bit pricey, but if you add up the cost of having his glands expressed weekly for the rest of his life it wouldn't be that bad.

I have also had success with putting these dogs on a prescription strength hypoallergenic food, or sometimes a small dose of steroids as well.

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (14115 views)

Doxycycline and amoxicillin. My dog is believed to have Lyme disease, her test was negative but our vet thought... (17533 views)

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (60600 views)

Vomiting kittens. I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had... (13098 views)

Dog is limping. Denaro has had a limp in his left front leg for about a month, it goes from a... (13542 views)

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (5271 views)

Dog licking everything My dog has recently started compulsivley licking his paws/us/anything else he can... (13400 views)

Dog bitten by another dog my dog got bit by a boxer dog on the front leg what shall i... (11893 views)

Is Frontline working for fleas? I live in Iowa and rescued a black Pug from a family in July. The previous owner... (17035 views)

Lump on hedgehog I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I... (16700 views)