Regular anal gland expression.

Breed: Pug

I am trying to get some answers about my puppy's anal gland problem. I have to take him to the vet for expression every 7 to 14 days and it's getting very expensive. I have done what they have told me to do to try to help- I have changed his food to one without preservatives. It has been 7 months since I changed his food and that has not helped. Is there anything else you can reccomend? Should I consider surgery?

Thank you for your time,

Stacy

For cases like this I often find that if I do an anal gland infusion that this can help stretch out the visits for a couple of months.

If I had a case that needed the glands expressed every 7 to 14 days I would likely be recommending surgery to have the glands removed. It can be a little bit pricey, but if you add up the cost of having his glands expressed weekly for the rest of his life it wouldn't be that bad.

I have also had success with putting these dogs on a prescription strength hypoallergenic food, or sometimes a small dose of steroids as well.

Dog died suddenly. Dr. Marie - We had a Yorkshire Terrier (would have been 12 years old in August).... (67715 views)

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (5050 views)

Sick Golden Dr., I try to keep this short: My kids golden, 7+ years old, got lyme like 3... (6501 views)

Low T4 and thyroid medicine. I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (4432 views)

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (6858 views)

Overgrooming cat. I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE... (9237 views)

Leave light on for dog? Is it necessary to leave the lights on for your dog when you go out in the evening... (33613 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (31866 views)

Submissive urination. Hey Dr.Marie my dog Mya is 1 year and a half but everytime someone picks her up she... (9805 views)

My cat died. My cat was found dead by a neighbour on a grass verge about 10ft from the road on... (10490 views)