Regular anal gland expression.

Breed: Pug

I am trying to get some answers about my puppy's anal gland problem. I have to take him to the vet for expression every 7 to 14 days and it's getting very expensive. I have done what they have told me to do to try to help- I have changed his food to one without preservatives. It has been 7 months since I changed his food and that has not helped. Is there anything else you can reccomend? Should I consider surgery?

Thank you for your time,

Stacy

For cases like this I often find that if I do an anal gland infusion that this can help stretch out the visits for a couple of months.

If I had a case that needed the glands expressed every 7 to 14 days I would likely be recommending surgery to have the glands removed. It can be a little bit pricey, but if you add up the cost of having his glands expressed weekly for the rest of his life it wouldn't be that bad.

I have also had success with putting these dogs on a prescription strength hypoallergenic food, or sometimes a small dose of steroids as well.

Is vet just trying to make money? I have 3 cats aged 3, 4 and 7. Lately every time I walk into my DVM's off ice I... (8101 views)

Dog has lost her voice. What could cause this? It's come on gradually for about 3 months. When she tries to... (14429 views)

Switching foods for allergies. My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and... (6958 views)

Are chicken bones bad for dogs? Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some... (16051 views)

Histolytica in cats. My cat has low levels of histolytica. I was informed it was common and not necessary... (3927 views)

Dog died after having diarrhea. My dog Dott is a small Aussie mix, weighing about 28 lbs. She is normally very... (25559 views)

Red spots on dog's back. my dog scraches all the time i use oatmeal based shampoo--even given her phenergan... (4574 views)

Ivermectin toxicity in a cat. My kitten and I live in Democractic Republic of Congo. Today, a vet administered an... (12210 views)

Straining to urinate. bella acts like she has to urinate all the time. when she squats very little comes... (8461 views)

Reduced appetite in kitten. Hello Dr. Marie, My 6 month old kitten has suddenly started eating less. She... (15985 views)