Regular anal gland expression.

Breed: Pug

I am trying to get some answers about my puppy's anal gland problem. I have to take him to the vet for expression every 7 to 14 days and it's getting very expensive. I have done what they have told me to do to try to help- I have changed his food to one without preservatives. It has been 7 months since I changed his food and that has not helped. Is there anything else you can reccomend? Should I consider surgery?

Thank you for your time,

Stacy

For cases like this I often find that if I do an anal gland infusion that this can help stretch out the visits for a couple of months.

If I had a case that needed the glands expressed every 7 to 14 days I would likely be recommending surgery to have the glands removed. It can be a little bit pricey, but if you add up the cost of having his glands expressed weekly for the rest of his life it wouldn't be that bad.

I have also had success with putting these dogs on a prescription strength hypoallergenic food, or sometimes a small dose of steroids as well.

Dog's baby teeth not out. Hi Dr Marie, Happy Holidays to you. I have a question. I don't think this is a... (12137 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (9402 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will... (10462 views)

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (9460 views)

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (11099 views)

Dog bitten by another dog my dog got bit by a boxer dog on the front leg what shall i... (11577 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (6104 views)

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (8367 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (10026 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (17431 views)