Regular anal gland expression.

Breed: Pug

I am trying to get some answers about my puppy's anal gland problem. I have to take him to the vet for expression every 7 to 14 days and it's getting very expensive. I have done what they have told me to do to try to help- I have changed his food to one without preservatives. It has been 7 months since I changed his food and that has not helped. Is there anything else you can reccomend? Should I consider surgery?

Thank you for your time,

Stacy

For cases like this I often find that if I do an anal gland infusion that this can help stretch out the visits for a couple of months.

If I had a case that needed the glands expressed every 7 to 14 days I would likely be recommending surgery to have the glands removed. It can be a little bit pricey, but if you add up the cost of having his glands expressed weekly for the rest of his life it wouldn't be that bad.

I have also had success with putting these dogs on a prescription strength hypoallergenic food, or sometimes a small dose of steroids as well.

Bump on tail tip. I noticed a small bump near the very end of my dog's tail, about 1/2 inch wide. She... (37994 views)

Male dog - trouble urinating. Hello! Just recently my dog started peeing everywhere. When he stands up its almost... (28162 views)

Dog Scorpion Bite. My dog Bella was under the table when she just started screaming! We got her out... (30896 views)

Accident in bed. Hi Dr. Marie, I am writing to you because Max (who normally sleeps in our bed at... (8644 views)

Sterile nodular panniculitis? Hi, My dog has a patch of nodules on his neck. I took him to our normal vet five... (26294 views)

Interstitial cystitis? Charlotte is constantly squatting as if she has to go, but nothing is coming out. I... (8593 views)

Bladder stones again. Hi there My cat had 100% blockage of urethra in Sept 2009, and underwent PU... (10511 views)

Tumor grew back. Hello, Our cat Chester had a tumor removed, sarcoma, about the size of a large golf... (4356 views)

Ivermectin toxicity in a cat. My kitten and I live in Democractic Republic of Congo. Today, a vet administered an... (11181 views)

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (8568 views)