Regular anal gland expression.

Breed: Pug

I am trying to get some answers about my puppy's anal gland problem. I have to take him to the vet for expression every 7 to 14 days and it's getting very expensive. I have done what they have told me to do to try to help- I have changed his food to one without preservatives. It has been 7 months since I changed his food and that has not helped. Is there anything else you can reccomend? Should I consider surgery?

Thank you for your time,

Stacy

For cases like this I often find that if I do an anal gland infusion that this can help stretch out the visits for a couple of months.

If I had a case that needed the glands expressed every 7 to 14 days I would likely be recommending surgery to have the glands removed. It can be a little bit pricey, but if you add up the cost of having his glands expressed weekly for the rest of his life it wouldn't be that bad.

I have also had success with putting these dogs on a prescription strength hypoallergenic food, or sometimes a small dose of steroids as well.

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (28776 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (26701 views)

Submissive urination. Hey Dr.Marie my dog Mya is 1 year and a half but everytime someone picks her up she... (10253 views)

Can't lift tail. my Golden Retriever's tail doesn't lift up like it normally does. She can still wag... (15641 views)

Limping cat. My cat is limping, she is not putting weight on her left hind leg. She isn't cut or... (20565 views)

Pea sized lump. Hi Dr. This morning I noticed a pea-sized lump on one of Max's ribs on the left... (58278 views)

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (67325 views)

Heart rate for a cat. Dear Dr.Marie I was just wondering THE TRUTH behind what a cats average heart... (11603 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (6286 views)

Does Prozac cause diarrhea in dogs? I want to know if continuing diarrhea is a possible side effect of prozac. My dog... (22845 views)