urinating in the house

Breed: Am. Shorthaired Tabb
Dr. Marie,
Isabella is a healthy 13 yr old female cat. For a short period we rescued another female 8 mo. old kitten. They did not get along, fighting and urinating. The kitten has been gone for 3 years now, but the urinating from my cat is ongoing. After so much time, I really don't think the other kitten is the problem. The urinating is usually in the same room. How can I break her of this habit? We've tried it all, spent it all, and sprayed everything suggested to us. HELP!

Sorry to hear that you are dealing with this frustrating problem!

There are a number of things that can cause a cat to urinate in inappropriate areas.

The first thing I would highly recommend is to have your vet examine her and her urine to be sure there is not a medical problem. Quite often I have owners come in who assume their cat is behaving badly because of a behavioral issue but really they have a medical problem such as interstitial cystitis, an infection, a kidney problem or urinary crystals.

I am wondering about the possibility of interstitial cystitis for Isabella. This is a condition where animals have inflammation in the bladder in response to stress. This may be why things seemed to start off when the kitten came in the house.

If your vet clears her of medical problems then here are a few things you can do:

-Add 2 or 3 new litter boxes
-experiment with different types of litter
-experiment with different sizes of litter boxes
-restrict her access to the area where she likes to pee - You can do this by closing the door or if that is not possible then cover the area with double sided tape so she will not want to walk on it.
-do all you can to enrich her life - new toys, a kitty condo, etc.

You can also talk to your vet about feliway which is a pheromone which helps reduce stress, or even anti anxiety medication.

I hope this helps!

Drooling and twitching. My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The... (10957 views)

Backward sneezing and drooling. Firstly I am doing this om my iPhone . I can get email but can not send so please... (13869 views)

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (8818 views)

Large abdomen in cat. We have an 18+ year old cat who is thin and bony, but has a 20" diameter potbelly... (9632 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (3664 views)

Vomiting dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog Frank is usually very active, but one week ago he was feeling... (4336 views)

Stimulus sensitive seizures. Hello, My dog is part pomerainean and part something else. He is about 25lbs. He is... (15340 views)

Did neutering affect dog's bladder? My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to... (15121 views)

Dog biting his own penis. I have 2 foster brothers who had been severely abused when I took them in. (Broken... (36967 views)

Arsenic in Rawhides? I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy... (5669 views)