urinating in the house

Breed: Am. Shorthaired Tabb
Dr. Marie,
Isabella is a healthy 13 yr old female cat. For a short period we rescued another female 8 mo. old kitten. They did not get along, fighting and urinating. The kitten has been gone for 3 years now, but the urinating from my cat is ongoing. After so much time, I really don't think the other kitten is the problem. The urinating is usually in the same room. How can I break her of this habit? We've tried it all, spent it all, and sprayed everything suggested to us. HELP!

Sorry to hear that you are dealing with this frustrating problem!

There are a number of things that can cause a cat to urinate in inappropriate areas.

The first thing I would highly recommend is to have your vet examine her and her urine to be sure there is not a medical problem. Quite often I have owners come in who assume their cat is behaving badly because of a behavioral issue but really they have a medical problem such as interstitial cystitis, an infection, a kidney problem or urinary crystals.

I am wondering about the possibility of interstitial cystitis for Isabella. This is a condition where animals have inflammation in the bladder in response to stress. This may be why things seemed to start off when the kitten came in the house.

If your vet clears her of medical problems then here are a few things you can do:

-Add 2 or 3 new litter boxes
-experiment with different types of litter
-experiment with different sizes of litter boxes
-restrict her access to the area where she likes to pee - You can do this by closing the door or if that is not possible then cover the area with double sided tape so she will not want to walk on it.
-do all you can to enrich her life - new toys, a kitty condo, etc.

You can also talk to your vet about feliway which is a pheromone which helps reduce stress, or even anti anxiety medication.

I hope this helps!

My cat's fur is falling out. My cat's fur is falling out. Patchy and balding. I have 2 cats, the other is... (16393 views)

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (12589 views)

No bowel movement after dentistry. Dear Dr Marie, Thank you for creating this website. I have a 12 year old male... (13171 views)

Itchy dog. This is a follow on of a question past #2740. Choo Choo's itch has continued all... (8277 views)

Dog has lost her voice. What could cause this? It's come on gradually for about 3 months. When she tries to... (17168 views)

Homeopathic treatment of FIP. Hello, My cat is verified (80% confirmed) to infect FIP(wet type). The vet told... (16088 views)

Dog keeps licking butt. My dog keeps licking her butt. I took her 2 days ago to have her anal glands... (21088 views)

PNST in a dog. My Jack Russell (8 years old) was just diagnosed with a PNST. Which was discovered... (14640 views)

Cat is burnt on belly. My cat seems to have a burnt patch on her belly. I don't know if this is from... (11211 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (11701 views)