Vomiting and not eating.

Breed: Lab/Border Collie mi
Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital, they ran numerous tests, injected him with fluid and gave him an injection to keep him from throwing up. They did not find anything, recommended I take him to his vet. The vet does not seem too concerned with Buster's condition, and has told me he will be alright. Gave him an injection to keep him from throwing up, and an injection to keep him relaxed. Also, he gave him two meds, one pill to be given a half hour before food (2 X a day) and one to be given with food (2 X a day). I can't get him to eat anything. I had him back to the vet, he still doesn't seem too concerned, gave him another injection to keep him from throwing up, and gave me a tube of a high vitamin paste and instructed me how to administer it. Other than the paste, Buster still will not eat anything, he will drink water now and then, thus he is staying hydrated, but he is losing weight and is becoming week. Do you have any suggestions as to get him to eat. His next appt. is 11/17.

Sorry to hear that Buster is not well.

The vast majority of the time when a dog is vomiting it is nothing serious. Usually it goes away with anti-nausea medication. However, if he is still not doing well despite being on the medication then it sounds like he needs to have more tests.

Has he had any xrays done? Do you know if he has had barium xrays? This is where they administer some white liquid that shows up well on xrays and then take xrays as the liquid passes through. Sometimes plain (non-barium) xrays do not show us anything.

There is probably not a lot that you can do at home to get him to eat but I can give you a few things to try. You can try making a slurry by adding warm water to some canned food. You can also try feeding him baby food (with no onions or garlic).

However, it does sound like he needs to see a vet sooner than the 17th. He may need to have some blood tests repeated and might need to stay on IV fluids for a couple of days.

I hope he does ok! Let me know if you have more questions.

Buster has had blood work, pancreas tested, x-rays, urine tested. Nothing has showed up. I thank you for your suggestions, I already thought of baby food. He will swallow it if I rub it on his teeth and force through his teeth into his mouth. But, he will only permit this for a short period.

It does sound like he has had all of the regular tests done. Were the xrays barium xrays? Not all foreign objects show up well on regular xrays.

If the bloodwork was done a couple of weeks ago you may need to repeat some of it. It's possible whatever the disease condition was was too early.

Another thought, if your budget allows it is to ask your vet to do an abdominal ultrasound to look for things like a tumor in the abdomen.

I wish I could give you more answers! It sounds like you are doing the right things. However, I really don't think the answer is to find him a food that he will eat. There has to be a medical cause for this problem. Another visit soon is really the best idea!

Thank you

Black lumps in a cat's ear. I recently noticed two black spots in one of my cat's ears. They haven't always been... (23615 views)

Dog cowers and pees. my dog seems afraid of me when i call her over she cowers and pees when she walks... (14518 views)

Bald spot on maltese. I just noticed a bald spot about the size of 2 half dollars on my Maltese right... (23574 views)

Dog's stool a little loose. Dr Marie, Examining that bump around Max's nipples it appears to be less solid.... (5704 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (8533 views)

Yellow diarrhea and runny eyes. i have a kitten that has diarreah yellowish in color. she acts like she has a hard... (8325 views)

Dog can't bark. I just recent spayed my dog this summer and i recently noticed that her bark sounds... (25793 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (12500 views)

Puppy chewing legs and licking penis Harley chews on himself constantly. He likes his penis, he chews on his legs,... (29485 views)

Severely scratching ears. I've taken my dog to 3 vets so far for "allergy" symptoms. His episodes start with... (13112 views)