Salt lick for dogs?

Breed: pit bull mix
My dog is constantly licking things (windows, sprinkler heads, feet, floors, ect) Would it be safe for her to have a salt lick? She just seems to be missing something, and I want to make sure that the extra salt from the lick won't hurt her.

No, a salt lick would be a bad idea! Excessive salt in a dog's diet is not healthy at all. It can affect the kidneys and heart quite seriously.

It would be great to have a vet do some basic blood tests on your dog. Some dogs will lick obsessively if they are anemic (low on red cells).

If all is normal with the blood tests you could talk to your vet about setting up a behavioral modification program to teach Kina not to lick things. It's possible some medicine like Reconcile or Prozac may help in the training process.

Large lump on dog's side. A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch... (27521 views)

Fly biting seizures. At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies.... (22090 views)

Worms in stool. My dogs stool has a lot of worms in it. My Mom's friends takes care of a lot of... (19396 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome. Hi there, We had our beautiful, angel, female kitten spayed just over one month... (7853 views)

Excessive drooling Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively... (7446 views)

Increase dog's phenobarb? Hi Marie, My 10 yr old Jack Russell Terrier has been a seizure dog for about 4... (19177 views)

Testicles are swollen. Bingo was hit from behind by a car mon nite. He got several cuts on 1 side of face,... (19358 views)

In heat cat spay. Dear Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed today (by laser). When I picked her up the vet... (15590 views)

Bloddy vaginal discharge in a cat. My cat is bleeding from her vagina, she is not spayed and we don't believe she is... (9923 views)

Should I have euthanized? We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here... (10056 views)