Salt lick for dogs?

Breed: pit bull mix
My dog is constantly licking things (windows, sprinkler heads, feet, floors, ect) Would it be safe for her to have a salt lick? She just seems to be missing something, and I want to make sure that the extra salt from the lick won't hurt her.

No, a salt lick would be a bad idea! Excessive salt in a dog's diet is not healthy at all. It can affect the kidneys and heart quite seriously.

It would be great to have a vet do some basic blood tests on your dog. Some dogs will lick obsessively if they are anemic (low on red cells).

If all is normal with the blood tests you could talk to your vet about setting up a behavioral modification program to teach Kina not to lick things. It's possible some medicine like Reconcile or Prozac may help in the training process.

Allergies or URTI? I was looking at the questions on cats, but couldn't find one that was close to what... (9872 views)

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (10565 views)

Dog leaking urine. Good Evening. Charlot is a rescued dog so I do know his history prior to his new... (14665 views)

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (19669 views)

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (14883 views)

Sores on dog's nose. Dr. Marie- Our dog has been breaking out in sore/boil/blister type bumps on his... (84347 views)

Cat died suddenly. 10-11-2010 Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post:... (26927 views)

Older dog - bloody diarrhea. My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea... (40437 views)

Rat lost his brother. My rat has lost his brother will he be ok i am not getting another... (12886 views)

Rubs his nose in vomit. A couple of times in the last few weeks, Atka has gotten sick to his stomach and... (12965 views)