Salt lick for dogs?

Breed: pit bull mix
My dog is constantly licking things (windows, sprinkler heads, feet, floors, ect) Would it be safe for her to have a salt lick? She just seems to be missing something, and I want to make sure that the extra salt from the lick won't hurt her.

No, a salt lick would be a bad idea! Excessive salt in a dog's diet is not healthy at all. It can affect the kidneys and heart quite seriously.

It would be great to have a vet do some basic blood tests on your dog. Some dogs will lick obsessively if they are anemic (low on red cells).

If all is normal with the blood tests you could talk to your vet about setting up a behavioral modification program to teach Kina not to lick things. It's possible some medicine like Reconcile or Prozac may help in the training process.

Splenic mastocytosis in a cat I was told for cats with splenic mastocytosis, the treatment of choice is... (10770 views)

Hypoglycemia and food coming from nose. Walter began sneezing this morning. The sneezing became worse and he was soaked... (6421 views)

Hairless cat skin problem. I recently took my hairless cats collar off and there was a small red sore were the... (9545 views)

Infection in nose and eye. HI, My dog Bear is 10 yr old black Lab. He weighs 110lb he is overweight, but he is... (7213 views)

Licking at bum and feet. My 12 year old female cat started having anal gland issues over a year ago. After... (6579 views)

Lifespan of a rat? What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is... (5840 views)

Side effects of Trilostane. Buddy was diagnosed with Cushings Disease about 5 weeks ago. He had extensive blood... (14418 views)

Black stuff in cat's ears. Hi Dr. Marie. My cat Thelma (who happens to be male and nearly 15) has had an issue... (35339 views)

Wart on dog's foot. Last Friday I was walking my dog and he suddenly pulled up his front right paw and... (23586 views)

Is this fleas? Dear Dr. Marie, This is my 2nd time asking a question. Thank you for your great... (5763 views)