Salt lick for dogs?

Breed: pit bull mix
My dog is constantly licking things (windows, sprinkler heads, feet, floors, ect) Would it be safe for her to have a salt lick? She just seems to be missing something, and I want to make sure that the extra salt from the lick won't hurt her.

No, a salt lick would be a bad idea! Excessive salt in a dog's diet is not healthy at all. It can affect the kidneys and heart quite seriously.

It would be great to have a vet do some basic blood tests on your dog. Some dogs will lick obsessively if they are anemic (low on red cells).

If all is normal with the blood tests you could talk to your vet about setting up a behavioral modification program to teach Kina not to lick things. It's possible some medicine like Reconcile or Prozac may help in the training process.

Weak legs on Coton deTulear. Hi! I have an 8 month old Coton de Tulear that I acquired through a very... (6680 views)

Swollen eye after removal. Hi My 16 month old male pug had his intact left globe removed 10 months ago after... (5750 views)

Meowing and growling cat. I am having problems with my 15 year old neutered cat. She has always been... (12513 views)

Roundworms and hookworms. How often do you find roundworms /hookworms in dogs is it rare of fairly... (4131 views)

Coughing cat. i have a indoor cat - about 10 years old... she had been staying in our... (11207 views)

Bloated abdomen in hamster. Hi....our pet hamster buddy is extremely bloated. We have had him for a year and a... (77553 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (23842 views)

Puppy throwing up 3 days. My kids brought home a new puppy I have no money she has been here for 2 weeks I... (8068 views)

Hamster skin problems. Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from... (15474 views)

Bump on dog's ear. I noticed that the flap of my dog's ear has this pimple like bump on it. you can't... (19338 views)