Salt lick for dogs?

Breed: pit bull mix
My dog is constantly licking things (windows, sprinkler heads, feet, floors, ect) Would it be safe for her to have a salt lick? She just seems to be missing something, and I want to make sure that the extra salt from the lick won't hurt her.

No, a salt lick would be a bad idea! Excessive salt in a dog's diet is not healthy at all. It can affect the kidneys and heart quite seriously.

It would be great to have a vet do some basic blood tests on your dog. Some dogs will lick obsessively if they are anemic (low on red cells).

If all is normal with the blood tests you could talk to your vet about setting up a behavioral modification program to teach Kina not to lick things. It's possible some medicine like Reconcile or Prozac may help in the training process.

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (16070 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (34755 views)

Swollen foot after wound. My dog Toby has what appears to be a cut in between his toes on one of his paws. He... (6929 views)

How to get guinea pig to gain weight. Hi! Remember me? Some days ago one of my friends gave me a guinea pig that she... (17882 views)

Hind end paralysis. I put my beautiful, loyal companion to sleep on Christmas day. The guilt is... (10354 views)

My cat died. My cat was found dead by a neighbour on a grass verge about 10ft from the road on... (13875 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (18072 views)

Benadryl for dogs How much Benadryl can I give my dog? I think he is having an allergic reaction to a... (23326 views)

Guinea pig losing teeth. its mouth is sore and can only chew mashed up food its loosing his teeth to its not... (11272 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (14420 views)