Salt lick for dogs?

Breed: pit bull mix
My dog is constantly licking things (windows, sprinkler heads, feet, floors, ect) Would it be safe for her to have a salt lick? She just seems to be missing something, and I want to make sure that the extra salt from the lick won't hurt her.

No, a salt lick would be a bad idea! Excessive salt in a dog's diet is not healthy at all. It can affect the kidneys and heart quite seriously.

It would be great to have a vet do some basic blood tests on your dog. Some dogs will lick obsessively if they are anemic (low on red cells).

If all is normal with the blood tests you could talk to your vet about setting up a behavioral modification program to teach Kina not to lick things. It's possible some medicine like Reconcile or Prozac may help in the training process.

Dog shedding like crazy. my dog is shedding like crazy year round what should i do? ... (11103 views)

Kitten died. Hello I work at the humane society. We recently adopted out a 13 week old long... (8171 views)

Bald spots on bulldog's legs. We purchased a baby bulldog about a month ago. We already had a bulldog, Mina, and... (25387 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (8295 views)

Cat howling at night. Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the... (8949 views)

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (22848 views)

Cat died suddenly. 10-11-2010 Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post:... (23830 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (7035 views)

Peeing in house. I have a 10 year old female cat that has never consistently used the litter box in... (5627 views)

Dog not eating i have a boxer labrador mix .his name is angus.because summer has started and the... (24193 views)