Staffordshire terriers and children.

Breed: American staffie, st
I have two female staffies who are extremely close, but who will nip and snarl at each when the dominant dog changes. It has just changed to the younger dog and now today they had a physical fight where they both sustained minor injuries. This has never happened before and I'm now concerned that they might attack my 4 yo daughter.
When my daughter was first born I received a lot of criticism that I chose to keep "that kind" of dog around a baby.They have never been anything but loving and gentle around her, but this incident has put doubt in my mind.I really don't want to give away one or both, but I also don't want to be putting my child in danger.
What would you recommend I do?

Oh, I'm sorry to hear this. Situations like this are so difficult.

First of all, know that this kind of problem can happen with any breed. It's not necessarily *because* they are staffies. With that being said, I have seen the odd Staffordshire that can just flip out with aggression. 99% of these dogs that I have seen are extremely kind and gentle. But I have a few in my clinic that will suddenly turn aggressive for no real reason. And these dogs are very scary because staffies are extremely muscular and have great potential to do harm if they bite.

My first thought whenever I read a question like this is whether the dogs are spayed. Even though they are females (as opposed to testosterone filled males), hormones can affect their attitudes. Having the dogs spayed can sometimes make a huge difference in how they behave.

You are probably not going to like the next bit of advice that I am going to give. When I see a family who has one or more dogs with aggressive tendencies and also has young children, I always recommend that the dogs and the children have absolutely no unsupervised access. And even then, if you are in the room with them together, you've got to be super watchful. I know it sounds horrible, but all it takes is one wrong move and there could be an awful situation. Most staffies are angels around children. The children could be pulling their fur out and sitting on them and they do nothing. But, with your dogs we don't know what kind of things set them off into being aggressive. It would be so awful if they did turn on your little girl. In my mind it's not enough to say, "They're always gentle around her so it's unlikely that anything will happen."

The other thing that you could consider is speaking to your vet about a behavioral consult and possibly some medication. I have had some dogs with aggression issues that do well with a medication called Reconcile, in combination with training (and spaying or neutering if not already done.)

This is a very difficult situation and I wish I had a faster and more concrete solution for you.

Thankyou so much for your advice. Its great that you've given me a couple of options besides getting rid of them.
They are both spayed and I've never let my daughter play outside without me (they don't come in the house), just to be safe, but it never occured to me that there could be psychological or medical treatment for their behaviour. Its something to look into and if their behaviour doesn't change after that, then I guess I'll have to look into re-housing them.
Thanks again, you've been a big help!!

Hair loss at base of tail. My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald... (13957 views)

Surgery on 14 year old dog. Chyna has in the past few months developed a mass or cluster of lumps that are dark... (11510 views)

Dog with ear problem. Icleaned my dogs ears with a Q tip and may have hurt his ear drum. I cannot go to a... (12425 views)

Swollen painful gums. Stomatitis? Other vets have been trying to figure out what is wrong, or how to help Yoko. Her... (15294 views)

Paralyzed dog now walking Emma's back legs have been paralyzed for almost 6 weeks. I took her to the vet and... (8800 views)

Dog's urine smells unusual. A few days ago I noticed that my dog's urine smells a bit strong. I can't really... (135422 views)

Panleukopenia vaccine. we have two 12 week old kittens. last week we looked after two 7 week old kittens... (8290 views)

Swollen paw in a cat. My year old cat's right paw is bloated , I tried to look more closely and the fur... (20053 views)

Aspirin and Lasix? Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen... (9340 views)

Is my cat in heat? i have a female cat who is 1 1/2 years old she isn't spayed and has gone in heat... (9488 views)