Genetic defects in a puppy.

Breed: chitzu/poodle
my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny and another was born with its hind legs turned inward.could you tell me what could be the cause of this. the 'father' of the puppies is her 'brother'. also is there anything i could do to prevent this. thanks.

The cause of the birth defects is probably because the mother and father were brother and sister. When this happens we have a much higher chance of having genetic defects.

The tapeworms are not likely the culprit, but should be treated with a good tapeworm dewormer for dogs.

Many dogs with tapeworms get them from fleas, so you should consider a good flea product such as Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution. Pet store products simply don't work.

I hope that helps!

Multiple mast cell tumors. Hi Marie, it says that my question has been answered, but I do not know how to... (19531 views)

Best cloth bedding for guinea pigs. I wanted to make a new bed for my guinea pig's house (her "nest"). Are there any... (9694 views)

Mass on dog's cheek. My dog recently had a cotton ball size mass on her "cheek". Someone told me it was... (12158 views)

Bladder stone surgery. I just returned from the vet where my dog still is. It was discovered through... (24144 views)

UTI and straining. I have a feral cat that hangs around my workplace. I have had him neutered. He also... (15771 views)

Swelling on dog's face. Hi the right side of my 6 year old boxer boy's face has swelled up - looks like he... (57636 views)

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (22248 views)

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (25830 views)

How often is heat cycle? Bonnie is a pure chocolate labrador & was 6 in september (2011). I'm wondering how... (28077 views)

Pink bumps on dog. My dog has two small bumps on top of his head. I took a picture, but I don't see a... (39743 views)