Genetic defects in a puppy.

Breed: chitzu/poodle
my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny and another was born with its hind legs turned inward.could you tell me what could be the cause of this. the 'father' of the puppies is her 'brother'. also is there anything i could do to prevent this. thanks.

The cause of the birth defects is probably because the mother and father were brother and sister. When this happens we have a much higher chance of having genetic defects.

The tapeworms are not likely the culprit, but should be treated with a good tapeworm dewormer for dogs.

Many dogs with tapeworms get them from fleas, so you should consider a good flea product such as Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution. Pet store products simply don't work.

I hope that helps!

Chemical castration of dogs. What would be the benefits of Zinc neutering using Zinc Gluconate offered by Ark... (12617 views)

Care of orphaned kittens. I have a ferral outside cat who just had kittens and was attacked...most of thr... (6606 views)

Very sick dog. Last night I noticed my dog had diarrhea and bad gas, but I thought she was just a... (15232 views)

Black widow spider bite. Hi, A good friend of mine woke up this morning and found her cat dead in her... (6877 views)

Time to put to sleep? I adopted my cat about 1.5yrs ago. When I adopted her I was told she was 3 yrs old;... (12893 views)

Run over by car. we have a small part pomeranian dog, she old, but not sure how old. she was... (10210 views)

Can rabbits carry rabies? I am wondering what the chances of a baby wild rabbit having rabies is. The baby is... (15686 views)

Losing weight and hungry. My dog Knock has lost a lot of weight, he currently weighs about thirty pounds and... (13841 views)

Does Hartz kill roundworms? well, this one time when I had a lab mix puppy that wasn't vetted or wormed or... (8887 views)

Rapid breathing in sleep. My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out... (110870 views)