Genetic defects in a puppy.

Breed: chitzu/poodle
my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny and another was born with its hind legs turned inward.could you tell me what could be the cause of this. the 'father' of the puppies is her 'brother'. also is there anything i could do to prevent this. thanks.

The cause of the birth defects is probably because the mother and father were brother and sister. When this happens we have a much higher chance of having genetic defects.

The tapeworms are not likely the culprit, but should be treated with a good tapeworm dewormer for dogs.

Many dogs with tapeworms get them from fleas, so you should consider a good flea product such as Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution. Pet store products simply don't work.

I hope that helps!

Cat losing hair. I have 4 cats and they are all indoors. I realize that cats can get fleas even when... (69331 views)

Can a spayed cat get pregnant? OK its OK if you don't answer but be for you look away please im 12 and my cat is... (21166 views)

Hill's k/d for bladder stones Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the... (8509 views)

Lesions on foot pads. my cat is missing large pieces of skin on its foot pads after getting scabs all over... (8418 views)

Lump on dog's side. Bundy has developed a circular mark...1/2 inch in diameter...the fur has gone the... (22648 views)

Itchy dog. whats would be the best flea medication for a my dog?? hes been chewing for months... (8354 views)

Pimple on ear. My dog has a pimple on his ear. Its on the inside flap. It only bother him when i... (14290 views)

Do dogs sweat? Zoe, our chow mix, never pants. When our other dogs, after playtime, are laying... (7424 views)

Liver cancer questions. My dog Penny was on trilo for Cushings - Dec 2010- then she went into Addisons went... (6874 views)

Sore hips in 1 year old cat. I have a 1 year old cat and she has had "stiff back legs" since we got her at 8... (13453 views)