Genetic defects in a puppy.

Breed: chitzu/poodle
my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny and another was born with its hind legs turned inward.could you tell me what could be the cause of this. the 'father' of the puppies is her 'brother'. also is there anything i could do to prevent this. thanks.

The cause of the birth defects is probably because the mother and father were brother and sister. When this happens we have a much higher chance of having genetic defects.

The tapeworms are not likely the culprit, but should be treated with a good tapeworm dewormer for dogs.

Many dogs with tapeworms get them from fleas, so you should consider a good flea product such as Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution. Pet store products simply don't work.

I hope that helps!

Itchy dog. whats would be the best flea medication for a my dog?? hes been chewing for months... (8737 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (8156 views)

Reduced appetite in kitten. Hello Dr. Marie, My 6 month old kitten has suddenly started eating less. She... (16792 views)

Tapeworms in cat. I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also... (7230 views)

Diarrhea and large abdomen. My 5 yr old DSH has been acting weird for the last 2 days. He had foamy,watery... (9563 views)

ECG for heart murmur? Hi, We have an 8 year old european shorthair cat who was recently diagnosed as... (9799 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been... (19796 views)

Damaged intestines? A few weeks ago I busted Diesel eating berries off a tree in the back yard. I told... (11971 views)

Vomiting after eating. My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip'... (25047 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (27342 views)