Genetic defects in a puppy.

Breed: chitzu/poodle
my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny and another was born with its hind legs turned inward.could you tell me what could be the cause of this. the 'father' of the puppies is her 'brother'. also is there anything i could do to prevent this. thanks.

The cause of the birth defects is probably because the mother and father were brother and sister. When this happens we have a much higher chance of having genetic defects.

The tapeworms are not likely the culprit, but should be treated with a good tapeworm dewormer for dogs.

Many dogs with tapeworms get them from fleas, so you should consider a good flea product such as Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution. Pet store products simply don't work.

I hope that helps!

Duck jerky making dogs sick? If chicken strips (jerky) might be a problem, what about duck? I have bags of both... (5877 views)

Pill stuck in cat's mouth. Hi Dr. Marie. I took my cat to the Vet on Thursday for 6 month blood work. She is... (5887 views)

Neuter at 8 weeks? We are trying to decide when to get our male kitten spayed. He is around 2 months... (5404 views)

Blood in poop. Hi There, I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not... (52069 views)

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (9881 views)

Start vaccines over? i just have had my dog for 3 months, not sure what shots have been given no record,... (4576 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (6860 views)

Vita Calm in dogs? i was wondering if i could safly use vitacalm for hosres on my dog for his... (7350 views)

Rash on Daschund My dog has a very red rash on her lower abdominal area and vaginal area. She bites... (10792 views)

Cat with a cold. My cat has a cold, and i was wondering if there is anything i can do at home for her... (15619 views)