Genetic defects in a puppy.

Breed: chitzu/poodle
my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny and another was born with its hind legs turned inward.could you tell me what could be the cause of this. the 'father' of the puppies is her 'brother'. also is there anything i could do to prevent this. thanks.

The cause of the birth defects is probably because the mother and father were brother and sister. When this happens we have a much higher chance of having genetic defects.

The tapeworms are not likely the culprit, but should be treated with a good tapeworm dewormer for dogs.

Many dogs with tapeworms get them from fleas, so you should consider a good flea product such as Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution. Pet store products simply don't work.

I hope that helps!

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (10310 views)

Rash on dog's chin. I HAVE A 1.6 YEAR OLD GREAT DANE IN GOOD HEALTH. HOWEVER, SHE HAS DEVELOPED A RASH... (13912 views)

Dog licks my nose. Hi, Luci was diagnosed with Lymphoma and also had 3 Mast Cell tumors removed back... (44251 views)

Cancer or infection? My dog recently completed radiation therapy for a brain tumor and he handled the... (5059 views)

Baby teeth didn't fall out. My dog's two canine teeth did not fall and her adult teeth grew in front of them.... (10180 views)

Dog died after having diarrhea. My dog Dott is a small Aussie mix, weighing about 28 lbs. She is normally very... (25771 views)

Wound on dog's ear. Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its... (13843 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (9554 views)

Blood blisters on a cat My cat has developed what appear to be blood blisters, one just below her nose and... (15897 views)

Sore eye in a dog. Hi, My Yorkie's left eye is squinting; it looks like she can't open it. She has... (24307 views)