Genetic defects in a puppy.

Breed: chitzu/poodle
my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny and another was born with its hind legs turned inward.could you tell me what could be the cause of this. the 'father' of the puppies is her 'brother'. also is there anything i could do to prevent this. thanks.

The cause of the birth defects is probably because the mother and father were brother and sister. When this happens we have a much higher chance of having genetic defects.

The tapeworms are not likely the culprit, but should be treated with a good tapeworm dewormer for dogs.

Many dogs with tapeworms get them from fleas, so you should consider a good flea product such as Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution. Pet store products simply don't work.

I hope that helps!

Pigmented spot on belly. Dr, Recall my 9 week old golden named Max... I noticed something today on his... (15599 views)

High ALKP and bile acids. Hi Dr. Marie I value your opinion so much and I do respect and understand that... (19151 views)

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (13737 views)

Vomiting and runny eyes. Hello Doc! My cat Princess started throwing up this morning. First two times was... (57168 views)

Walking on tip toes. my dog got hit with a car about 4 months ago she suffered no broken bones but when... (14326 views)

Puppy won't eat. My daughter has a Blue Nose Pit 4 1/2 months old female she has a great appetite and... (17830 views)

Unable to walk. We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found... (88097 views)

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (293180 views)

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (15289 views)

Cat losing hair in patches Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots... (22151 views)