Genetic defects in a puppy.

Breed: chitzu/poodle
my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny and another was born with its hind legs turned inward.could you tell me what could be the cause of this. the 'father' of the puppies is her 'brother'. also is there anything i could do to prevent this. thanks.

The cause of the birth defects is probably because the mother and father were brother and sister. When this happens we have a much higher chance of having genetic defects.

The tapeworms are not likely the culprit, but should be treated with a good tapeworm dewormer for dogs.

Many dogs with tapeworms get them from fleas, so you should consider a good flea product such as Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution. Pet store products simply don't work.

I hope that helps!

Jaw cancer? Hello doctor. My question is about my 8-10 year old cat. He has had teeth removed do... (11351 views)

Possible asthma My 7 year old cat has always had frequent hairballs. I have always suspected he had... (12711 views)

Draining fluid for heart failure. My dog has Congestive Heart Failure. He is under the care of a veterinarian and... (15666 views)

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (10550 views)

Cushing's and diabetes. My dog was diagnosed last month with cushings disease and diabetes. He's up to 14... (15386 views)

Rare form hepatitis. I got Sadie in January this year. She is a rescue. She's been sick since February.... (4135 views)

Black scab on anus Good day Dr. Marie, I read one of your previous questions and answer about a dog... (41994 views)

Large mammary glands. Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in... (9654 views)

Lump near penis. I have a one year old male dashund dog. He got all his shots. For two days he... (8532 views)

Dog pees when excited. comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to... (9626 views)