Genetic defects in a puppy.

Breed: chitzu/poodle
my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny and another was born with its hind legs turned inward.could you tell me what could be the cause of this. the 'father' of the puppies is her 'brother'. also is there anything i could do to prevent this. thanks.

The cause of the birth defects is probably because the mother and father were brother and sister. When this happens we have a much higher chance of having genetic defects.

The tapeworms are not likely the culprit, but should be treated with a good tapeworm dewormer for dogs.

Many dogs with tapeworms get them from fleas, so you should consider a good flea product such as Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution. Pet store products simply don't work.

I hope that helps!

Hair loss at base of tail. My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald... (14589 views)

Lung problem in dog. Our cuddly Walter had "kennel cough" several times throughout his life (about 5),... (6876 views)

Vulva dermatitis. Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female... (26240 views)

Is clostridium contagious? Can my dog have gotten a c diff infection from being around another dog that had... (15613 views)

White urine in guinea pig. My Guinea Pigs urine is a white color (or possibly cloudy). Is this something we... (46354 views)

Feline leukemia contagious? I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it... (8870 views)

Roundworms. Cat has roundworms. bought otc piperzine for her. how long should it take to work?... (17846 views)

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (13558 views)

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (12668 views)

Saddle thrombus in a dog. In a dog, once a blood clot has broken off and is considered a saddle thrombus, how... (8207 views)