Back leg shaking.

Breed: Pit Bull terrier
My aging Pit bull terrier's back leg shakes like he has Parkinson's disease. Back R leg doesn't have much strength. His back end has been bothering him for over a year, probably from him being a high energy dog and not knowing that he's getting old. Shaking leg developed in the last 6 months.

Sorry to hear that Rudy is having problems with his back leg shaking.

A lot of the time when I have a patient who has a shaking leg, I can't find a cause. However, in a senior dog, a shaking leg is often a sign of some pain somewhere in the leg. The most common area for there to be pain is the stifle (knee), but it could be anywhere.

Ideally it would be good to have your vet examine Rudy and take some xrays of the hind legs if they feel that that is a good plan. You may find that he has arthritis or there could be another cause.

If this is arthritis then there are a number of medicines that can be helpful. The only ones that I have found to be effective are prescription medications that you get from your vet.

There are other possibilities for shaking legs. Hypoadrenocorticism (Addison's disease) can cause legs to shake, but it would be unusual for just one leg to be affected.

If this were my case, and if your budget allowed for it, I would likely be taking some xrays and doing some senior blood testing. If nothing obvious was found, or if I saw signs of arthritis then I would do a trial of a few weeks of a medication such as Previcox, Rimadyl, Daramaxx or Metacam to see if it makes a difference.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you.
A friend's vet recommended baby aspirin so I have tried that for a few days and he seems to be doing better. Still has shaking but the leg is stronger.
Thanks again.

I'm glad he is feeling better. I'm cautious about using aspirin regularly though as it can be hard on a dog's kidneys and stomach. If there is improvement with aspirin then you would find significant improvement with a prescription strength product. It's definitely a good idea to talk to your vet about this.

Thanks for the info on the side effects of continued aspirin use. We'll play it by how he feels.
Thanks again.

Limping after cat fight. Hello, My cat recently had a fight with another cat. Now he is limping on his left... (10265 views)

Cat with pseudomonas infection. Sorry to bother you again. I wrote to you abt Shakey who has Pseudomas bacteria... (8760 views)

Cat won't eat or drink. Licorice doesn't want to eat much or drink. He is lethargic, but his gums are pink... (21512 views)

Sores on dog's leg. My dog recently got theses two sores on her back leg, one bigger than the other. Its... (8573 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (9569 views)

Licking feet. My cat has suddenly been licking her back paws consistently and thumping them... (8009 views)

Not eating losing weight. Age: 13 months Weight: 8 1/2 pounds He was 9 pounds, but lost half a pound in May.... (4489 views)

Cat is very thirsty. I have a one year old cat, he eats well no concerns there, but he is consently... (9619 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (21188 views)

Did neutering affect dog's bladder? My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to... (18316 views)