Back leg shaking.

Breed: Pit Bull terrier
My aging Pit bull terrier's back leg shakes like he has Parkinson's disease. Back R leg doesn't have much strength. His back end has been bothering him for over a year, probably from him being a high energy dog and not knowing that he's getting old. Shaking leg developed in the last 6 months.

Sorry to hear that Rudy is having problems with his back leg shaking.

A lot of the time when I have a patient who has a shaking leg, I can't find a cause. However, in a senior dog, a shaking leg is often a sign of some pain somewhere in the leg. The most common area for there to be pain is the stifle (knee), but it could be anywhere.

Ideally it would be good to have your vet examine Rudy and take some xrays of the hind legs if they feel that that is a good plan. You may find that he has arthritis or there could be another cause.

If this is arthritis then there are a number of medicines that can be helpful. The only ones that I have found to be effective are prescription medications that you get from your vet.

There are other possibilities for shaking legs. Hypoadrenocorticism (Addison's disease) can cause legs to shake, but it would be unusual for just one leg to be affected.

If this were my case, and if your budget allowed for it, I would likely be taking some xrays and doing some senior blood testing. If nothing obvious was found, or if I saw signs of arthritis then I would do a trial of a few weeks of a medication such as Previcox, Rimadyl, Daramaxx or Metacam to see if it makes a difference.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you.
A friend's vet recommended baby aspirin so I have tried that for a few days and he seems to be doing better. Still has shaking but the leg is stronger.
Thanks again.

I'm glad he is feeling better. I'm cautious about using aspirin regularly though as it can be hard on a dog's kidneys and stomach. If there is improvement with aspirin then you would find significant improvement with a prescription strength product. It's definitely a good idea to talk to your vet about this.

Thanks for the info on the side effects of continued aspirin use. We'll play it by how he feels.
Thanks again.

Clindamycin overdose? I have been caring for Sox, a feral. Awhile back Sox started coughing on and off... (8177 views)

Immune mediated disease. Our dog was taken to the vet on July 3rd after 2 days of lethargy and falling over... (16653 views)

Tumor on spinal cord. My dog is diagnosed with cancer. An NMR has been done. The tumor is affecting his... (6508 views)

Chicken fillets by Beefeaters. Dear Dr. Marie, I have a 10 y.o. Black and Tan Coonhound and he just loves... (13347 views)

Guinea Pig losing hair. My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a... (11381 views)

Sterile nodular panniculitis? Hi, My dog has a patch of nodules on his neck. I took him to our normal vet five... (31226 views)

Leaking urine after swimming. I have a 5 year old female (spayed) Golden Doodle. We take her swimming several... (24473 views)

Inverted vulva and puppy vaginitis. I have purchased a Golden Retriever to be used as a new dog for breeding. She is... (43255 views)

Nutritional supplement for repeated fractures. I have a chihuahua who has broken the same leg three times in the last year. The... (10161 views)

Upper respiratory virus Thank you for your past advise. I now have another question that is regarding... (15456 views)