Back leg shaking.

Breed: Pit Bull terrier
My aging Pit bull terrier's back leg shakes like he has Parkinson's disease. Back R leg doesn't have much strength. His back end has been bothering him for over a year, probably from him being a high energy dog and not knowing that he's getting old. Shaking leg developed in the last 6 months.

Sorry to hear that Rudy is having problems with his back leg shaking.

A lot of the time when I have a patient who has a shaking leg, I can't find a cause. However, in a senior dog, a shaking leg is often a sign of some pain somewhere in the leg. The most common area for there to be pain is the stifle (knee), but it could be anywhere.

Ideally it would be good to have your vet examine Rudy and take some xrays of the hind legs if they feel that that is a good plan. You may find that he has arthritis or there could be another cause.

If this is arthritis then there are a number of medicines that can be helpful. The only ones that I have found to be effective are prescription medications that you get from your vet.

There are other possibilities for shaking legs. Hypoadrenocorticism (Addison's disease) can cause legs to shake, but it would be unusual for just one leg to be affected.

If this were my case, and if your budget allowed for it, I would likely be taking some xrays and doing some senior blood testing. If nothing obvious was found, or if I saw signs of arthritis then I would do a trial of a few weeks of a medication such as Previcox, Rimadyl, Daramaxx or Metacam to see if it makes a difference.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you.
A friend's vet recommended baby aspirin so I have tried that for a few days and he seems to be doing better. Still has shaking but the leg is stronger.
Thanks again.

I'm glad he is feeling better. I'm cautious about using aspirin regularly though as it can be hard on a dog's kidneys and stomach. If there is improvement with aspirin then you would find significant improvement with a prescription strength product. It's definitely a good idea to talk to your vet about this.

Thanks for the info on the side effects of continued aspirin use. We'll play it by how he feels.
Thanks again.

Is rescue cat in pain? Hello I took in a stray female cat about 10 days ago. HER behaviour is odd. She... (11023 views)

Vulva dermatitis. Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female... (29358 views)

Dental problems and weight loss. i think she has a bad tooth,lost of weight,not eating her regular food,gave her rice... (19407 views)

Seizures in a Yorkie. This past Monday she had an episode where she went limp and wasn't responsive to her... (26568 views)

Leaking urine on bed. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog has had bladder problems since she was a puppy. She will... (6790 views)

Brown spots on belly. Hello, I have a five year old Pomeranian mix (25lbs). Within the last few weeks I... (23856 views)

Dog ate staples My dog may have ingested 4 staples last night around midnight. She is acting... (70495 views)

Cat suddenly bites or scratches. Hi there....i have a beautiful BIG moggy who is a 'lovecat' - very affectionate -... (18375 views)

Trouble urinating after neuter surgery. Hi Dr, Max was neutered yesterday at 10 am. The nurses said he went to pee 2... (66353 views)

Dog inhaled bleach. Our dog is having trouble breathing after inhaling Clorox. It was accidental my... (53541 views)