Back leg shaking.

Breed: Pit Bull terrier
My aging Pit bull terrier's back leg shakes like he has Parkinson's disease. Back R leg doesn't have much strength. His back end has been bothering him for over a year, probably from him being a high energy dog and not knowing that he's getting old. Shaking leg developed in the last 6 months.

Sorry to hear that Rudy is having problems with his back leg shaking.

A lot of the time when I have a patient who has a shaking leg, I can't find a cause. However, in a senior dog, a shaking leg is often a sign of some pain somewhere in the leg. The most common area for there to be pain is the stifle (knee), but it could be anywhere.

Ideally it would be good to have your vet examine Rudy and take some xrays of the hind legs if they feel that that is a good plan. You may find that he has arthritis or there could be another cause.

If this is arthritis then there are a number of medicines that can be helpful. The only ones that I have found to be effective are prescription medications that you get from your vet.

There are other possibilities for shaking legs. Hypoadrenocorticism (Addison's disease) can cause legs to shake, but it would be unusual for just one leg to be affected.

If this were my case, and if your budget allowed for it, I would likely be taking some xrays and doing some senior blood testing. If nothing obvious was found, or if I saw signs of arthritis then I would do a trial of a few weeks of a medication such as Previcox, Rimadyl, Daramaxx or Metacam to see if it makes a difference.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you.
A friend's vet recommended baby aspirin so I have tried that for a few days and he seems to be doing better. Still has shaking but the leg is stronger.
Thanks again.

I'm glad he is feeling better. I'm cautious about using aspirin regularly though as it can be hard on a dog's kidneys and stomach. If there is improvement with aspirin then you would find significant improvement with a prescription strength product. It's definitely a good idea to talk to your vet about this.

Thanks for the info on the side effects of continued aspirin use. We'll play it by how he feels.
Thanks again.

Puppy vomiting at night. My 5 month old lab is crate trained and in his crate almost nightly he has begun to... (50460 views)

Wound on ear won't heal. My puppy accidentally scratched her inner ear, the wound scabbed over but now she... (17818 views)

Kitten with runny nose. my kitten has had a runny nose with bad sneezing for 4 weeks now, shes eatting,... (13458 views)

Constipated dog. We have a large, 45kg, dog, mixed breed.He's five and a half years old. He is... (9522 views)

Does Vick's Vapo rub help cat's breathing? My vet says my cat has a sinus tumor and a Iwas wondering if vicks would help him to... (40698 views)

Flaky skin. Samson has flakey skin that is most obvious on his back toward the tail and under... (18608 views)

Is my dog pregnant? We think my dog is pregnant.She keeps trying to make little areas for herself and... (5660 views)

Cat has flaky skin. My Maine Coon, Nino has had flaky skin for quite awhile. I had him at the vet a few... (11156 views)

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (15513 views)

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (11263 views)