Dog licking anus after vaccines.

Breed: Shetland Sheepdog/La
The day after a routine vax appt with a new vet, our dog suddenly began licking her anus frequently, as though it itched. She was NOT doing this before. Could she have contracted something at the vet's office? I am hesitant to go back to the same vet now.

Sorry to hear that Myra had this uncomfortable experience! This is definitely not a normal thing to have happen after a vaccine visit.

Do you know if your vet expressed her anal glands? If so, some dogs can be irritated for a while afterwards. Or, sometimes if they have expressed the anal glands they will spray an anti-odor spray afterwards. I have seen it happen where the wrong spray was put on and some sprays can be very irritating to the anus.

Some animals can have an itchy anus as a result of an allergic reaction. However, I have never seen a vaccine reaction cause this.

It could also be that the dog was irritated because of having her temperature taken rectally. If this is the case it should be really temporary.

There really is nothing contagious that should cause these symptoms. If they continue though it would be a good idea to have your vet check her out again.

I don't think you need to consider changing vets.

Dog attacked by javelina. My dog got attacked by a javelina.. shes bleeding from her nose and mouth, what... (7743 views)

Hip dysplasia and arthritis. Hello, My dog Jasmine is about 13 & 1/2 years old. We live in New York City. I... (11823 views)

Watery eyes. Minnie's eyes are very watery, she can't seem to keep them open and her nose is... (9650 views)

Dog is scratching his ear. For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on... (14495 views)

Not putting weight on leg. Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When... (10626 views)

Cats not eating. Viral Infection in Throat? I have 3 cats at home (in Singapore, Asia). 1... (10189 views)

Painful defecation. Hello again Dr. Marie I had contacted you just awhile ago about my cat Linus and... (4421 views)

Will spay terminate pregnancy? It is a possibility my dog might be pregnant. But my mom wants to get her spayed... (12936 views)

Trouble with back legs. I have a 11 yr old, inside only cat, that is a little over weight approx. 15lbs.... (33051 views)

Pit Bull won't eat. My 3 year old Pit Bull/Boxer mix isn't eating as normal. She was a rescued stray... (11883 views)