Dog licking anus after vaccines.

Breed: Shetland Sheepdog/La
The day after a routine vax appt with a new vet, our dog suddenly began licking her anus frequently, as though it itched. She was NOT doing this before. Could she have contracted something at the vet's office? I am hesitant to go back to the same vet now.

Sorry to hear that Myra had this uncomfortable experience! This is definitely not a normal thing to have happen after a vaccine visit.

Do you know if your vet expressed her anal glands? If so, some dogs can be irritated for a while afterwards. Or, sometimes if they have expressed the anal glands they will spray an anti-odor spray afterwards. I have seen it happen where the wrong spray was put on and some sprays can be very irritating to the anus.

Some animals can have an itchy anus as a result of an allergic reaction. However, I have never seen a vaccine reaction cause this.

It could also be that the dog was irritated because of having her temperature taken rectally. If this is the case it should be really temporary.

There really is nothing contagious that should cause these symptoms. If they continue though it would be a good idea to have your vet check her out again.

I don't think you need to consider changing vets.

Very sick kitten. Thursday 4/21 daughter rescued kitten from tomcat in my mom's backyard. Kitten... (23615 views)

Cat puffing its hair out. Is there other reasons besides a cat trying to make itself look big for a fight that... (17703 views)

Muscle atrophy in a cat. Its been two weeks since my 13 yr old cat, Sweety, has been unable to walk and the 4... (27337 views)

Bruising after blood collection. I took my dog to get some shots earlier today and to get some tests done. They drew... (40993 views)

Wound on cat's leg. Sydney is an indoor/outdoor cat. Last week he got a cut on his front leg. I was... (24271 views)

Skin problems. i have a male cocker spaniel 11yrs old, the last couple months he has been... (15927 views)

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (11435 views)

Teeth cleaning in cats. How important is it to clean your cats teeth and how would I go about it? My cat... (9704 views)

Dasuquin causing allergies. About 5 months ago, my dog injured his leg during a walk. I took him to the vet &... (17020 views)

Dog is leaking urine. We have a 4yr old female boxer/german shepherd mix who seems to be "leaking" a lot... (12187 views)