Dog licking anus after vaccines.

Breed: Shetland Sheepdog/La
The day after a routine vax appt with a new vet, our dog suddenly began licking her anus frequently, as though it itched. She was NOT doing this before. Could she have contracted something at the vet's office? I am hesitant to go back to the same vet now.

Sorry to hear that Myra had this uncomfortable experience! This is definitely not a normal thing to have happen after a vaccine visit.

Do you know if your vet expressed her anal glands? If so, some dogs can be irritated for a while afterwards. Or, sometimes if they have expressed the anal glands they will spray an anti-odor spray afterwards. I have seen it happen where the wrong spray was put on and some sprays can be very irritating to the anus.

Some animals can have an itchy anus as a result of an allergic reaction. However, I have never seen a vaccine reaction cause this.

It could also be that the dog was irritated because of having her temperature taken rectally. If this is the case it should be really temporary.

There really is nothing contagious that should cause these symptoms. If they continue though it would be a good idea to have your vet check her out again.

I don't think you need to consider changing vets.

Euthanasia question. Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. ... (4812 views)

Infected wound? Hi, my cat is indoor and outdoor (she has the face of an Egyptian Mau & its head... (2942 views)

Dog keeps licking butt. My dog keeps licking her butt. I took her 2 days ago to have her anal glands... (18003 views)

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (9717 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia? Hello Dr Marie, I recently found an abandoned feral kitten in the street who was... (8169 views)

Light colored diarrhea. Yesterday my husband and I purchased our new family addition and his brother. Last... (29179 views)

Tapeworms in cat. I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also... (6025 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (5709 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (9513 views)

Kitten nursing on my neck. why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not... (13606 views)