Dog licking anus after vaccines.

Breed: Shetland Sheepdog/La
The day after a routine vax appt with a new vet, our dog suddenly began licking her anus frequently, as though it itched. She was NOT doing this before. Could she have contracted something at the vet's office? I am hesitant to go back to the same vet now.

Sorry to hear that Myra had this uncomfortable experience! This is definitely not a normal thing to have happen after a vaccine visit.

Do you know if your vet expressed her anal glands? If so, some dogs can be irritated for a while afterwards. Or, sometimes if they have expressed the anal glands they will spray an anti-odor spray afterwards. I have seen it happen where the wrong spray was put on and some sprays can be very irritating to the anus.

Some animals can have an itchy anus as a result of an allergic reaction. However, I have never seen a vaccine reaction cause this.

It could also be that the dog was irritated because of having her temperature taken rectally. If this is the case it should be really temporary.

There really is nothing contagious that should cause these symptoms. If they continue though it would be a good idea to have your vet check her out again.

I don't think you need to consider changing vets.

Pain in nose and snout. Well, my dog Minnie hasn't been herself lately. The problem is that if I touch her... (33493 views)

Tapeworm and roundworm meds. Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him... (27171 views)

Biopsy? Dr, As you know Max has been having issues with vomiting and soft stools. 9... (9393 views)

Not chewing his food. I noticed he isn't chewing his dog food lately. He has always chewed before. I think... (6305 views)

Fluid in the lungs that got better. Hi, My boy Buster Brown has an array of health probs from dry eye syndrome to... (7464 views)

Dog not eating i have a boxer labrador mix .his name is angus.because summer has started and the... (25176 views)

Eyes rolled back in head. About 3 months ago, Bruce's eyes rolled back in his head and become very blood shot.... (45813 views)

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (16430 views)

Recall on Hill's food? My cat got I'll suddenly three weeks ago. Committing, lethargy, diarrhea , lack of... (5743 views)

Large lump on dog's side. A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch... (24196 views)