Dog licking anus after vaccines.

Breed: Shetland Sheepdog/La
The day after a routine vax appt with a new vet, our dog suddenly began licking her anus frequently, as though it itched. She was NOT doing this before. Could she have contracted something at the vet's office? I am hesitant to go back to the same vet now.

Sorry to hear that Myra had this uncomfortable experience! This is definitely not a normal thing to have happen after a vaccine visit.

Do you know if your vet expressed her anal glands? If so, some dogs can be irritated for a while afterwards. Or, sometimes if they have expressed the anal glands they will spray an anti-odor spray afterwards. I have seen it happen where the wrong spray was put on and some sprays can be very irritating to the anus.

Some animals can have an itchy anus as a result of an allergic reaction. However, I have never seen a vaccine reaction cause this.

It could also be that the dog was irritated because of having her temperature taken rectally. If this is the case it should be really temporary.

There really is nothing contagious that should cause these symptoms. If they continue though it would be a good idea to have your vet check her out again.

I don't think you need to consider changing vets.

dog with bumps on head My dog has 2-3 little lumps on her head, She is smooothe coated, You can feel them... (26657 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (10105 views)

Cat peeing on the carpet. My cat will not stop urinating on the carpet, she has seen a vet and has no medical... (12638 views)

Leaking urine on bed. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog has had bladder problems since she was a puppy. She will... (4999 views)

Puppy has a small eye. my puppy has an eye defect it is smaller than the other and seems to be lazy it is... (20145 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old dachshund. She consumed 2 and 1/2 pieces of... (10136 views)

Sudden death in a dog after swimming. My dog was swimming in the lake for 1-2 mins, she came out, then ran around suddenly... (11839 views)

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (11295 views)

Sore pug. The first time we thought something was wrong was when we took him out for his usual... (5899 views)

Dental problems and weight loss. i think she has a bad tooth,lost of weight,not eating her regular food,gave her rice... (16267 views)