Dog licking anus after vaccines.

Breed: Shetland Sheepdog/La
The day after a routine vax appt with a new vet, our dog suddenly began licking her anus frequently, as though it itched. She was NOT doing this before. Could she have contracted something at the vet's office? I am hesitant to go back to the same vet now.

Sorry to hear that Myra had this uncomfortable experience! This is definitely not a normal thing to have happen after a vaccine visit.

Do you know if your vet expressed her anal glands? If so, some dogs can be irritated for a while afterwards. Or, sometimes if they have expressed the anal glands they will spray an anti-odor spray afterwards. I have seen it happen where the wrong spray was put on and some sprays can be very irritating to the anus.

Some animals can have an itchy anus as a result of an allergic reaction. However, I have never seen a vaccine reaction cause this.

It could also be that the dog was irritated because of having her temperature taken rectally. If this is the case it should be really temporary.

There really is nothing contagious that should cause these symptoms. If they continue though it would be a good idea to have your vet check her out again.

I don't think you need to consider changing vets.

Sore pug. The first time we thought something was wrong was when we took him out for his usual... (5605 views)

Is URTI contagious to other cats? I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI).... (7711 views)

Anxious at night time. Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely... (30532 views)

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (8044 views)

Dog ate moldy corn. My 4 month old, 20 lb. standard poodle may have eaten very moldy creamed corn from a... (45201 views)

Coughing and not eating chihuahua My 3 year old chihuahua has been going downhill for about 2 weeks. Last week he... (7401 views)

Bumps on schnauzer. Hi Dr. Marie, Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this very valuable, yet... (24581 views)

Euthanize biting dog? My name is Meghan and I am going through a super tough situation and thought maybe... (6034 views)

Cat with crusty areas. Hello, I'd like some advice on diagnosis and treatment for my cat. She has had... (12315 views)

Parvo recovery. I'M LOOKING AT A PUP THAT IS RECOVERING FROM PARVO. WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME AND... (23220 views)