Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Sick after having puppies.

Species: Dog
Breed: Pitbull
Age: 2-5 years
I have an important question about my dog. She had puppies 2 weeks ago and suddenly she has stop eating and throws up everything that she takes in like water that we make her drink. we have not seen her eat at all since a week. my dad went to a vet to ask but they said they would have to check her, however it was going to be expensive. we dont have money to waste so we dont know what to do. we bought milk to feed the puppies (8) and her to gain vitamins. we have to force her but she ends up throwing it up. i know we have to get her checked but do you know what it could be? we think it might be malnutrition because the puppies have sucked her dry and weak soo....?? help??


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

This does not sound like a nutrition problem.

It would definitely not be a waste of money to have a vet take a look at Chata. I am concerned she could have an infection such as mastitis or metritis. Both of these are serious and would require antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

She could even have a retained fetus inside of her.

It doesn't sound like there is an at home remedy for her problems. Most likely the sooner you take her to be seen the better. The longer she is sick, the harder it is likely to be to get her better.

I hope things work out ok!
Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Dog has horrible breath. How can i stop my dogs horriable breath. like home things that i could do like... (11743 views)

Lump on hamster's toe. Hey! A week or 2 ago I noticed a tiny reddish pink bump on one of the toes on my... (17939 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (13585 views)

Licking at lump on leg. Hi! My name is Sachiyo Ono and I have a question about my pet. I am only 14 so I... (27881 views)

Black widow spider bite. Hi, A good friend of mine woke up this morning and found her cat dead in her... (8301 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (10724 views)

Gerbil has rash on nose. My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are... (9680 views)

Itchy feet, belly, tail. I live in MA with my dog. We went to NY (an hour north of NYC) at the very beginning... (29961 views)

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (9307 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome. Hi there, We had our beautiful, angel, female kitten spayed just over one month... (7272 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.