Dog has liver cancer.

Breed: golden/yellow lab mi
Our 12 year old Golden/Lab mix has been diagnosed with liver cancer. What can we do to help maintain quality? We do not want surgery/chemo/harsh options for her but we do want to make sure we are doing what we can to make her comfortable until she is ready to go. I am most concerned about pain levels because she is such a good girl and she just doesn't complain. We know she will die but aren't acting sad/crying around her - we are keeping our spirits up in hopes that she will do the same.

Ultrasound report "Several masses seen in the liver. Largest is 10cm on the mid L liver-solid & cystic & displaces the gallbladder caudally. Additional masses in mid at R liver are hyperechoic & nodular. Probably neoplasia in several lobes. Possible portal node enlargement r/o metastasis. Renal cortices are hyperechoic suggesting glomerular disease. Renal size/shape & other abdominal organs image normally.

She is on Denamarin & acting ok/slowed down a bit. She plays/naps several x/day. She is eating w/enticements 2x/day with snacks in between. She has lost weight so our vet says to feed her whatever she wants - chicken, rice, bread, dog treats, pototoes, even some hot dogs.

Thank you!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Sarah is dealing with liver cancer. Goldens are such wonderful dogs but they really are prone to cancer.

If it will help, I can explain the ultrasound report to you. A 10 cm mass in the liver is very large. What bothers me the most is that the mass has solid portions and also cystic (fluid) portions. And then there are masses that are really dense (hyperechoic). What this means is that there are a variety of tumors in the liver. And this is not good news. The "portal node" is a lymph node. So, it sounds like there is spread of the cancer from the liver to the lymph nodes.

What this means is that the chances of us treating this successfully with chemo are extremely low.

So, I agree with you that keeping Sarah as comfortable as possible is the best idea.

One of the best indications of how a dog is doing is how well they are eating. If she gets to the point where she is not eating much at all, then this means that she is really not feeling well.

You may want to ask your vet about a food called Hill's n/d. It is meant for dogs with cancer and is extremely tasty and high calorie.

I find that most of my clients who have pets with cancer just "know" when it is time to talk about euthanasia. It is never an easy decision, but Sarah will let you know when she is no longer enjoying life.

Love her lots for the days she has left!

Vet is pushing veterinary foods. I have a new to me vet who is insistent on my giving my cats 'veterinary' food. My... (4882 views)

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (8184 views)

Do dogs get sciatica? Hi, about three weeks ago zues' back legs seemed week and clumsy and he was dripping... (10957 views)

Sick cat after teeth cleaning. she had her teeth cleaned on march 1st...came home..she was woozy from... (11047 views)

Biting her paws. my dog is biting her paws why is she? she had fleas but we gave her a pill so when... (4766 views)

Lethargic and following me around. Hi, My dog Harley is 3 yrs old. Starting 2 days ago he hasn't been acting like... (10449 views)

Did cherry eye surgery fail? My 10 month old baby boy, ralphie, just had a cherry eye surgery yesterday. this... (17444 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (73027 views)

Crying after using litter box. After my cat eats, drinks, gets up or uses the cat box she cries this very strange... (18991 views)

Shaking and tucking tail. 3 days ago my dog, who was being taken on a walk in the morning, suddenly started... (155925 views)