Dog has liver cancer.

Breed: golden/yellow lab mi
Our 12 year old Golden/Lab mix has been diagnosed with liver cancer. What can we do to help maintain quality? We do not want surgery/chemo/harsh options for her but we do want to make sure we are doing what we can to make her comfortable until she is ready to go. I am most concerned about pain levels because she is such a good girl and she just doesn't complain. We know she will die but aren't acting sad/crying around her - we are keeping our spirits up in hopes that she will do the same.

Ultrasound report "Several masses seen in the liver. Largest is 10cm on the mid L liver-solid & cystic & displaces the gallbladder caudally. Additional masses in mid at R liver are hyperechoic & nodular. Probably neoplasia in several lobes. Possible portal node enlargement r/o metastasis. Renal cortices are hyperechoic suggesting glomerular disease. Renal size/shape & other abdominal organs image normally.

She is on Denamarin & acting ok/slowed down a bit. She plays/naps several x/day. She is eating w/enticements 2x/day with snacks in between. She has lost weight so our vet says to feed her whatever she wants - chicken, rice, bread, dog treats, pototoes, even some hot dogs.

Thank you!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Sarah is dealing with liver cancer. Goldens are such wonderful dogs but they really are prone to cancer.

If it will help, I can explain the ultrasound report to you. A 10 cm mass in the liver is very large. What bothers me the most is that the mass has solid portions and also cystic (fluid) portions. And then there are masses that are really dense (hyperechoic). What this means is that there are a variety of tumors in the liver. And this is not good news. The "portal node" is a lymph node. So, it sounds like there is spread of the cancer from the liver to the lymph nodes.

What this means is that the chances of us treating this successfully with chemo are extremely low.

So, I agree with you that keeping Sarah as comfortable as possible is the best idea.

One of the best indications of how a dog is doing is how well they are eating. If she gets to the point where she is not eating much at all, then this means that she is really not feeling well.

You may want to ask your vet about a food called Hill's n/d. It is meant for dogs with cancer and is extremely tasty and high calorie.

I find that most of my clients who have pets with cancer just "know" when it is time to talk about euthanasia. It is never an easy decision, but Sarah will let you know when she is no longer enjoying life.

Love her lots for the days she has left!

Ear infection. last year my dog came home with an infection after being groomed. she has been on 4... (19177 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (82810 views)

Limping Boxer. My dog is a boxer about 2 yrs old. My son stepped on his paw about a week ago and... (12040 views)

Bad smell on dog. Our doxie gets the worst smell coming from her vagina area. Whatever she sits on,... (103651 views)

Flaky skin. Samson has flakey skin that is most obvious on his back toward the tail and under... (15625 views)

Stop barking at other dogs. hello when my dog is in the yard, she will bark at other dogs passing. she is a... (4429 views)

Sensitive at tail base. My cat is 7 years old. She is the only suvivor of her litteer. All of the kittens... (112130 views)

Ear infection. Fred has been miserable. I have tried what i know to do. He has had a ear infection... (6265 views)

Can we give benadryl for allergic reaction? My 9 month old boxer puppy has been stung by a bee or bees, we think in his mouth. ... (9505 views)

Cat can't move tail or legs. My girlfriend's family saved a cat viciously attacked by dogs in the street in... (26391 views)