Dog has liver cancer.

Breed: golden/yellow lab mi
Our 12 year old Golden/Lab mix has been diagnosed with liver cancer. What can we do to help maintain quality? We do not want surgery/chemo/harsh options for her but we do want to make sure we are doing what we can to make her comfortable until she is ready to go. I am most concerned about pain levels because she is such a good girl and she just doesn't complain. We know she will die but aren't acting sad/crying around her - we are keeping our spirits up in hopes that she will do the same.

Ultrasound report "Several masses seen in the liver. Largest is 10cm on the mid L liver-solid & cystic & displaces the gallbladder caudally. Additional masses in mid at R liver are hyperechoic & nodular. Probably neoplasia in several lobes. Possible portal node enlargement r/o metastasis. Renal cortices are hyperechoic suggesting glomerular disease. Renal size/shape & other abdominal organs image normally.

She is on Denamarin & acting ok/slowed down a bit. She plays/naps several x/day. She is eating w/enticements 2x/day with snacks in between. She has lost weight so our vet says to feed her whatever she wants - chicken, rice, bread, dog treats, pototoes, even some hot dogs.

Thank you!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Sarah is dealing with liver cancer. Goldens are such wonderful dogs but they really are prone to cancer.

If it will help, I can explain the ultrasound report to you. A 10 cm mass in the liver is very large. What bothers me the most is that the mass has solid portions and also cystic (fluid) portions. And then there are masses that are really dense (hyperechoic). What this means is that there are a variety of tumors in the liver. And this is not good news. The "portal node" is a lymph node. So, it sounds like there is spread of the cancer from the liver to the lymph nodes.

What this means is that the chances of us treating this successfully with chemo are extremely low.

So, I agree with you that keeping Sarah as comfortable as possible is the best idea.

One of the best indications of how a dog is doing is how well they are eating. If she gets to the point where she is not eating much at all, then this means that she is really not feeling well.

You may want to ask your vet about a food called Hill's n/d. It is meant for dogs with cancer and is extremely tasty and high calorie.

I find that most of my clients who have pets with cancer just "know" when it is time to talk about euthanasia. It is never an easy decision, but Sarah will let you know when she is no longer enjoying life.

Love her lots for the days she has left!

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (21725 views)

Vomiting while in heat. Is it normal for a female dog coming out of heat to be... (14868 views)

Does Hartz flea treatment work? My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it... (12297 views)

Red eye in kitten. my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when... (6984 views)

Dog shaking head. My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??)... (12074 views)

Hair loss at base of tail. My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald... (11357 views)

Sick kitten We recently found this kitten last week outside, when we found him we estimated that... (6832 views)

Can't lift tail. my Golden Retriever's tail doesn't lift up like it normally does. She can still wag... (12372 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (3602 views)

Boxer collapsed. Last saturday our female 1 year old boxer collapsed and her gums went very pale. We... (9488 views)