Dog has liver cancer.

Breed: golden/yellow lab mi
Our 12 year old Golden/Lab mix has been diagnosed with liver cancer. What can we do to help maintain quality? We do not want surgery/chemo/harsh options for her but we do want to make sure we are doing what we can to make her comfortable until she is ready to go. I am most concerned about pain levels because she is such a good girl and she just doesn't complain. We know she will die but aren't acting sad/crying around her - we are keeping our spirits up in hopes that she will do the same.

Ultrasound report "Several masses seen in the liver. Largest is 10cm on the mid L liver-solid & cystic & displaces the gallbladder caudally. Additional masses in mid at R liver are hyperechoic & nodular. Probably neoplasia in several lobes. Possible portal node enlargement r/o metastasis. Renal cortices are hyperechoic suggesting glomerular disease. Renal size/shape & other abdominal organs image normally.

She is on Denamarin & acting ok/slowed down a bit. She plays/naps several x/day. She is eating w/enticements 2x/day with snacks in between. She has lost weight so our vet says to feed her whatever she wants - chicken, rice, bread, dog treats, pototoes, even some hot dogs.

Thank you!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Sarah is dealing with liver cancer. Goldens are such wonderful dogs but they really are prone to cancer.

If it will help, I can explain the ultrasound report to you. A 10 cm mass in the liver is very large. What bothers me the most is that the mass has solid portions and also cystic (fluid) portions. And then there are masses that are really dense (hyperechoic). What this means is that there are a variety of tumors in the liver. And this is not good news. The "portal node" is a lymph node. So, it sounds like there is spread of the cancer from the liver to the lymph nodes.

What this means is that the chances of us treating this successfully with chemo are extremely low.

So, I agree with you that keeping Sarah as comfortable as possible is the best idea.

One of the best indications of how a dog is doing is how well they are eating. If she gets to the point where she is not eating much at all, then this means that she is really not feeling well.

You may want to ask your vet about a food called Hill's n/d. It is meant for dogs with cancer and is extremely tasty and high calorie.

I find that most of my clients who have pets with cancer just "know" when it is time to talk about euthanasia. It is never an easy decision, but Sarah will let you know when she is no longer enjoying life.

Love her lots for the days she has left!

bloat in boerboels Hello. I'm currently looking at information about the boerboel. I'm thinking about... (9889 views)

Dried blood in ferret's ears. My ferret has dry blood in it's ears what does that... (13856 views)

Bleach for parvo? My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little... (18704 views)

Cat is getting lazy. Not urgent. Snowy used to play with paper and bottle tops and whatever else he could... (11399 views)

Lump on puppy's neck. Hello Dr. Marie I hope you could choose my question because i'm so worried about my... (15249 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (11728 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (19222 views)

Diarrhea with mucus. Dr, Are you familiar with those bullwinkle sticks. They are about 13" long, bull... (19876 views)

Older cat coughing. My cat is heaving like she has a hairball, but nothing is coming up. She is still... (17247 views)

Coughing and panting. My dog is 12 1/2 and he has a hacking cough and pants all the time except when he's... (30119 views)