Constipated kittens.

Breed: Mixed long hair
I am fostering 5 kittens. I think they are about 5 weeks old. They still cannot use a litter box and are consuming about 1 tablespoon of KMR formula about 4 to 5 times per day. They are urinating ok but aren't pooping. What can I do for them? They don't seem uncomfortable and are playful, starting to pounce on stuff, and eating regularly.

It is really common to see kittens get constipated when they are being fed milk replacer. One thing that can sometimes help is to add a small amount of sweet potato flavored baby food to their milk.

However, if these kittens are 5 weeks old, they can definitely eat solid food. (I usually start introducing solid food at 4 weeks.) You can get some canned kitten food and water it down and offer it as a soup in a saucer and then bit by bit put less water in it.

Sometimes just stimulating the anus (by rubbing it) can encourage the kittens to poop as well.

If they don't go within the next 24 hours, they may need to see a vet. The vet may give some subcutaneous fluids and also do an enema. That's not something you should try at home though.

I hope they do ok!

Thank you so much :) How can I tell how old they are? Their ears completely opened about 5 days ago and they are getting really mobile. They are not using the litter box and one of them even tried to eat the litter! I stimulate the anus when I'm also trying to get them to pee, but no luck...Are they old enough to start them on kitten food?

It's tough to tell for certain. Do you have kitchen scales? Generally, a 4 week old kitten will weigh a pound and a 5 week old kitten will weigh about 1.25 pounds. If they're less than a pound then they still need milk replacer.

I had someone ask me a similar question recently. They had (I think) 3 week old kittens. The sweet potato baby food added to the milk did the trick for them.

Thank you for your help :) I'll get them weighed and I'll start the sweet potato baby food. I'll post back how it goes...

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (14236 views)

Peeing in the house. We have a problem with Storm (a male cat) weeing every where in the house we do have... (7270 views)

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (22557 views)

First heat cycle in dogs. when do chiuahuahs have their first heat... (8973 views)

Laser pointer safe for cats? My Abby is thrilled with the new toy that I purchased for her, a laser pointer. She... (7494 views)

Cisapride to a cat that is not eating? My cat has mega colon and been on cisapride and lactulose for 2 1/2 years. She has... (10169 views)

Cushing's and diabetes. My dog was diagnosed last month with cushings disease and diabetes. He's up to 14... (16760 views)

Hartz and Advantage. I gave my cat Hartz one spot flea treatment and it doesnt work grrrr, i gave it on... (10179 views)

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (11565 views)

Accident in bed. Hi Dr. Marie, I am writing to you because Max (who normally sleeps in our bed at... (9720 views)