Constipated kittens.

Breed: Mixed long hair
I am fostering 5 kittens. I think they are about 5 weeks old. They still cannot use a litter box and are consuming about 1 tablespoon of KMR formula about 4 to 5 times per day. They are urinating ok but aren't pooping. What can I do for them? They don't seem uncomfortable and are playful, starting to pounce on stuff, and eating regularly.

It is really common to see kittens get constipated when they are being fed milk replacer. One thing that can sometimes help is to add a small amount of sweet potato flavored baby food to their milk.

However, if these kittens are 5 weeks old, they can definitely eat solid food. (I usually start introducing solid food at 4 weeks.) You can get some canned kitten food and water it down and offer it as a soup in a saucer and then bit by bit put less water in it.

Sometimes just stimulating the anus (by rubbing it) can encourage the kittens to poop as well.

If they don't go within the next 24 hours, they may need to see a vet. The vet may give some subcutaneous fluids and also do an enema. That's not something you should try at home though.

I hope they do ok!

Thank you so much :) How can I tell how old they are? Their ears completely opened about 5 days ago and they are getting really mobile. They are not using the litter box and one of them even tried to eat the litter! I stimulate the anus when I'm also trying to get them to pee, but no luck...Are they old enough to start them on kitten food?

It's tough to tell for certain. Do you have kitchen scales? Generally, a 4 week old kitten will weigh a pound and a 5 week old kitten will weigh about 1.25 pounds. If they're less than a pound then they still need milk replacer.

I had someone ask me a similar question recently. They had (I think) 3 week old kittens. The sweet potato baby food added to the milk did the trick for them.

Thank you for your help :) I'll get them weighed and I'll start the sweet potato baby food. I'll post back how it goes...

Bobcat with lump. Hi,I was wondering about my bobcat mix... He is 3 mo old ..we found him when he was... (6919 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (96050 views)

Red spots on dog's back. my dog scraches all the time i use oatmeal based shampoo--even given her phenergan... (4318 views)

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (10259 views)

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (17107 views)

Diabetic cat with seizures. I've inherited a diabetic cat with a history of seizures. Since bringing him home,... (18384 views)

Dehydrated and trouble breathing. I found my cat yesterday just lying on the ground, he can't lift his head, yesterday... (7729 views)

Dog ate mouldy treats. My labs get milkbone treats twice a day...I just noticed they have mold on them.... (9471 views)

What breed is my dog? Hello I Always Wanted To Know What Breed Or Type My Dog Is ? It's A Russian Small... (7244 views)

Peeing in house and throwing up. My dog has not woke us up to be let ouside since he has been house trained. A... (43112 views)