Constipated kittens.

Breed: Mixed long hair
I am fostering 5 kittens. I think they are about 5 weeks old. They still cannot use a litter box and are consuming about 1 tablespoon of KMR formula about 4 to 5 times per day. They are urinating ok but aren't pooping. What can I do for them? They don't seem uncomfortable and are playful, starting to pounce on stuff, and eating regularly.

It is really common to see kittens get constipated when they are being fed milk replacer. One thing that can sometimes help is to add a small amount of sweet potato flavored baby food to their milk.

However, if these kittens are 5 weeks old, they can definitely eat solid food. (I usually start introducing solid food at 4 weeks.) You can get some canned kitten food and water it down and offer it as a soup in a saucer and then bit by bit put less water in it.

Sometimes just stimulating the anus (by rubbing it) can encourage the kittens to poop as well.

If they don't go within the next 24 hours, they may need to see a vet. The vet may give some subcutaneous fluids and also do an enema. That's not something you should try at home though.

I hope they do ok!

Thank you so much :) How can I tell how old they are? Their ears completely opened about 5 days ago and they are getting really mobile. They are not using the litter box and one of them even tried to eat the litter! I stimulate the anus when I'm also trying to get them to pee, but no luck...Are they old enough to start them on kitten food?

It's tough to tell for certain. Do you have kitchen scales? Generally, a 4 week old kitten will weigh a pound and a 5 week old kitten will weigh about 1.25 pounds. If they're less than a pound then they still need milk replacer.

I had someone ask me a similar question recently. They had (I think) 3 week old kittens. The sweet potato baby food added to the milk did the trick for them.

Thank you for your help :) I'll get them weighed and I'll start the sweet potato baby food. I'll post back how it goes...

Pooping outside of box. Hi, I have a 13 year old cat named Dagmar. Apart from being slightly overweight, she... (6933 views)

Lump on paw pad. Hi Dr. Marie! Baileys is a patient of yours at Beechwood Animal Hospital. We were... (44776 views)

Coughing and liver problems. Hi there! We are hoping that you can lend us some advice with our baby. Our... (12718 views)

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (9835 views)

Yellow diarrhea and runny eyes. i have a kitten that has diarreah yellowish in color. she acts like she has a hard... (6958 views)

Lump on cat's abdomen. My cat has a round, hard spot in her stomach. It has a red dot in the center It... (13848 views)

Weakness in back legs and twitching eye. Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and... (9710 views)

Orange urine in a dog. I have had Moe for two years. He is 17 years old now according to the vet. He... (7951 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma. Tessa has a little black growth on her eyelid. My vet has said it's a tumor and... (14485 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. My wife and I left for a 24 day holiday. Three of our kids remained at home. Our... (20346 views)