Older cat with congestion.

Breed: female/tuxedo
First, thank u for your input on my cami that past on previous question.my husband had given her to me years ago but he passed 2yrs ago from cancer which made it even harder because it was like part of him again leaving but the bright side is I have my son and other animals I love dearly too..

My question now is on my older cat Prissy she is 13 and she sounds very very congested, runny nose at times I see her still licking nose and using paw to clean..you can constantly hear her breathing through her mouth very noisy at night when she sleeping. This has been going on a couple months I was hoping was allergies..I took her to the vet blood done first nothing major showing and they did a head scan that dr did not think anything like a turmor was there but he wanted to ask someone else that was more experienced in that field and he also agreed no tumor in head..but the luck I have with cats as u see not always good..when I went to pick prissy up dr had to anesthetic to do head xray..my cat had a reaction to this and was blind dr said first cat he had ever had this happen to that it was a very low dose and had only had a dog happen to one other time...well I took her home and prayed her vision would come back because dr didn't know if it would or be permanent....thank god Prissy vision was all back within 2 days....That's my dilemma dr said he would have to refer her to state vet that has equipment to do mri I think to try to diagnose more specifically...my vet gave her antibiotic/steroid shot and that worked for about 2weeks then it has all come back again and at times I see dried blood on nose..i try to clean for her and try to use salt/water saline but not as easy task...Any suggestions??..I know this could be something life threatning but if I go to state vet they will also have to put her to sleep to do xrays that my fear since her reation and she is overweigh 12/14 lbs. Have you had any experience with this would appreciate your knowledge...thank you again..carol

Oh dear. It really sounds like Prissy is having a rough time. What you are describing sounds like something very serious.

I always get concerned when an older cat develops congestion. It's not likely to be alelrgies. The biggest concern would be if there was some type of a tumor affecting the nasal passages. There are other possibilities such as an ongoing bacterial infection or something called mycoplasma (see a similar question here. If mycoplasma is the case then often a medication called doxycycline could help.

It's hard to explain why Prissy had the problems that she did with her anesthetic. In my career I have had one cat have issues with blindness after an anesthetic. We believe that this cat may have had a stroke under anesthetic.

Cases like this are really tough. If there is a tumor, then as your vet mentioned, the only way that we will be able to see it is by MRI. An MRI is very expensive, requires an anesthetic (which I would be reluctant to do) and even if we do get an answer we are not likely to be able to do much about a tumor that is in this place.

If this were my case I would be doing what I could to help keep Prissy comfortable. If steroids and antibiotics helped, then you can talk to your vet about doing this long term. Unfortunately there's not likely to be an easy cure for this.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Pit Bull doesn't want to walk. Okay, A few minuets ago I went on a walk/jog with my playful Putbull/Lab, I had... (7829 views)

Cat's heart rate question. Does the heart-rate depend on the age of the... (7357 views)

Dog died suddenly even after glucose. my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to... (10547 views)

Cat pooping on floor. We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the... (10790 views)

Pink lump on dog's paw. I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in... (58247 views)

Cat can't meow. This morning my 9-yr old female indoor cat, Ally, can't meow (she's always very... (127649 views)

How long is FIP contagious? Hi Marie. Here's my situation. Adopted Charlie in August 2010. On March 1, this year... (15845 views)

Yorkie has tartar on teeth. I have recently noticed that masey has tartar buildin up on her teeth, iv gave her... (7874 views)

Fluid filled lumps on ear. My dog has many lumps on her ears that feel like they are fluid filled and sensitive... (10462 views)

Swollen ear flap. i have a dog named shiloh and something is wrong with his ear and i just need to... (11244 views)