dog with strabismus

Breed: Boxer
Dr. ,

My Boxer Cooper has what I think is called strabismus or lazy eye. He has had it his whole life and I was curious if there is any treatment for this condition. I had heard that covering the "stong" eye will help strengthen the muscle of the weak/lazy eye. What are your thoughts?

Hi there. In people, they definitely do try covering the strong eye to increase the muscle activity around the weaker one. However, I have not seen that done in dogs with strabismus.

It's very unlikely to be something that's bothersome to Cooper. I think the major reason that we try to correct the problem for children is cosmetic. But I'm doubtful that cosmetics are important to Cooper!

Really, this is something he will have to live with for the rest of his life.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks, I would like to show you a picture of cooper just to be sure. Where can I send it?

Sure! You can email it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Here is the photo you sent:
lazy eye in a dog

That definitely does look like strabismus. (Although keep in mind that I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet.) If he's had it his whole life then I'm not at all worried.

If this was an older dog and suddenly the eye went like that I would wonder about something serious like a tumor behind the eye or glaucoma.

He's a very cute boy. :)

Submissive urination. Hey Dr.Marie my dog Mya is 1 year and a half but everytime someone picks her up she... (9385 views)

Lump after vaccines. ...Hello! My name is Jessie and I have a Teacup Chihuhua named Zeep. He is about 10... (13839 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (22651 views)

Crusty spots on hamsters. I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a... (13195 views)

Swollen muzzle in cat. Hello, I gave my cat food this morning and when she went to eat it, she made this... (8521 views)

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (14829 views)

Laryngeal paralysis and vomiting. my dog gags and coughs when he eats and also eats mulch and grass and subsequently... (9027 views)

Arsenic in Rawhides? I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy... (6427 views)

Sedative after heartworm treatment? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 and a half year old boxer/lab that is being treated... (12338 views)

Dog with swollen face. our dog woke up with a swollen face. i think that something might have bitten him. ... (10957 views)