dog with strabismus

Breed: Boxer
Dr. ,

My Boxer Cooper has what I think is called strabismus or lazy eye. He has had it his whole life and I was curious if there is any treatment for this condition. I had heard that covering the "stong" eye will help strengthen the muscle of the weak/lazy eye. What are your thoughts?

Hi there. In people, they definitely do try covering the strong eye to increase the muscle activity around the weaker one. However, I have not seen that done in dogs with strabismus.

It's very unlikely to be something that's bothersome to Cooper. I think the major reason that we try to correct the problem for children is cosmetic. But I'm doubtful that cosmetics are important to Cooper!

Really, this is something he will have to live with for the rest of his life.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks, I would like to show you a picture of cooper just to be sure. Where can I send it?

Sure! You can email it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Here is the photo you sent:
lazy eye in a dog

That definitely does look like strabismus. (Although keep in mind that I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet.) If he's had it his whole life then I'm not at all worried.

If this was an older dog and suddenly the eye went like that I would wonder about something serious like a tumor behind the eye or glaucoma.

He's a very cute boy. :)

Green smelly teeth. Dweeb has greenish slime on her gums and pain when biting. I tried washing it out... (37620 views)

Dog barked during euthanasia. Hi Why most likley did my dog bark out when the vet put him to sleep. I thought... (15821 views)

Mascara for dogs? I have noticed eyelashes on my 11 month old bichon frise and i would love to put... (28411 views)

Improper tail docking? I just acquired my puppy from a backyard breeder who I was told cut off the puppies... (10156 views)

Puppy died suddenly. Dakota was playful, looked energetic and happy thursday morning. by dinner time the... (28717 views)

Skin lesions on dog's face. HI, my Chikita has been having some skin trouble and cant exactly figure out what it... (7317 views)

Carrots and nuts safe for dogs? Is it safe to feed her carrots or nuts of any kind? We have just been feeding them... (15098 views)

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (21881 views)

Dental problems and weight loss. i think she has a bad tooth,lost of weight,not eating her regular food,gave her rice... (19069 views)

Questions about cryptosporidium. Vet told me dog has cryptosporidium She had diarrehea and vomit but lasted 24 hours... (31482 views)