dog with strabismus

Breed: Boxer
Dr. ,

My Boxer Cooper has what I think is called strabismus or lazy eye. He has had it his whole life and I was curious if there is any treatment for this condition. I had heard that covering the "stong" eye will help strengthen the muscle of the weak/lazy eye. What are your thoughts?

Hi there. In people, they definitely do try covering the strong eye to increase the muscle activity around the weaker one. However, I have not seen that done in dogs with strabismus.

It's very unlikely to be something that's bothersome to Cooper. I think the major reason that we try to correct the problem for children is cosmetic. But I'm doubtful that cosmetics are important to Cooper!

Really, this is something he will have to live with for the rest of his life.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks, I would like to show you a picture of cooper just to be sure. Where can I send it?

Sure! You can email it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Here is the photo you sent:
lazy eye in a dog

That definitely does look like strabismus. (Although keep in mind that I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet.) If he's had it his whole life then I'm not at all worried.

If this was an older dog and suddenly the eye went like that I would wonder about something serious like a tumor behind the eye or glaucoma.

He's a very cute boy. :)

Cat limping and vomiting. Today I noticed that my cat was limping a bit. Later on in the day I noticed that... (16086 views)

Cat not doing well. Hi Dr. Marie, First I want to say I love your page on Facebook and I am a big Fan... (7882 views)

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (9863 views)

Pill stuck in cat's mouth. Hi Dr. Marie. I took my cat to the Vet on Thursday for 6 month blood work. She is... (6355 views)

Will spay terminate pregnancy? It is a possibility my dog might be pregnant. But my mom wants to get her spayed... (13571 views)

Thinking of getting a malamute. hi, i currently have a malchi. he is part maltese part chihuahua. i have been... (9178 views)

Diarrhea and pale gums in a kitten. My cat has dirra for about two week i have notice his gum is pale pink what should... (9485 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (20974 views)

Is this fleas? Dear Dr. Marie, This is my 2nd time asking a question. Thank you for your great... (5927 views)

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (18421 views)