dog with strabismus

Breed: Boxer
Dr. ,

My Boxer Cooper has what I think is called strabismus or lazy eye. He has had it his whole life and I was curious if there is any treatment for this condition. I had heard that covering the "stong" eye will help strengthen the muscle of the weak/lazy eye. What are your thoughts?

Hi there. In people, they definitely do try covering the strong eye to increase the muscle activity around the weaker one. However, I have not seen that done in dogs with strabismus.

It's very unlikely to be something that's bothersome to Cooper. I think the major reason that we try to correct the problem for children is cosmetic. But I'm doubtful that cosmetics are important to Cooper!

Really, this is something he will have to live with for the rest of his life.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks, I would like to show you a picture of cooper just to be sure. Where can I send it?

Sure! You can email it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Here is the photo you sent:
lazy eye in a dog

That definitely does look like strabismus. (Although keep in mind that I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet.) If he's had it his whole life then I'm not at all worried.

If this was an older dog and suddenly the eye went like that I would wonder about something serious like a tumor behind the eye or glaucoma.

He's a very cute boy. :)

Can a spayed cat get pregnant? OK its OK if you don't answer but be for you look away please im 12 and my cat is... (21945 views)

Is aspirin safe for dogs? I bought the excel enteric coated aspirin 81mg each for my 85lb husky. I don't know... (17184 views)

No bowel movement after dentistry. Dear Dr Marie, Thank you for creating this website. I have a 12 year old male... (10678 views)

Kittens with diarrhea We have kept the 5 kittens born to our momma cat. [they will be "fixed" when it is... (10785 views)

Unexplained fever in a dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My pit bull Indy has always been in pretty good health but has... (9019 views)

Fishy smell from dog. My boston terrier puts off a fishy smell. It doesn't happen all the time, but... (31796 views)

Kitten died after anesthetic. Dear Dr. Marie, We are heartbroken. Our 5 MONTH old spyhnx kitten passed away... (8120 views)

Rabbit with maggots Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were... (10423 views)

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (18722 views)

Cost to take mouse to vet? About how much would it cost to take a mouse in for a check... (16777 views)