dog with strabismus

Breed: Boxer
Dr. ,

My Boxer Cooper has what I think is called strabismus or lazy eye. He has had it his whole life and I was curious if there is any treatment for this condition. I had heard that covering the "stong" eye will help strengthen the muscle of the weak/lazy eye. What are your thoughts?

Hi there. In people, they definitely do try covering the strong eye to increase the muscle activity around the weaker one. However, I have not seen that done in dogs with strabismus.

It's very unlikely to be something that's bothersome to Cooper. I think the major reason that we try to correct the problem for children is cosmetic. But I'm doubtful that cosmetics are important to Cooper!

Really, this is something he will have to live with for the rest of his life.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks, I would like to show you a picture of cooper just to be sure. Where can I send it?

Sure! You can email it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Here is the photo you sent:
lazy eye in a dog

That definitely does look like strabismus. (Although keep in mind that I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet.) If he's had it his whole life then I'm not at all worried.

If this was an older dog and suddenly the eye went like that I would wonder about something serious like a tumor behind the eye or glaucoma.

He's a very cute boy. :)

Too young for euthanasia? Is there an age too young for... (5118 views)

Flea problems. WELL MY CAT HAD FLEA'S AND I DEFLEAD THE CAT THE PRODUCTS I USED TO DEFLEA MY CAT... (8819 views)

yellow colored diarrhea We have had this puppy for about 2 weeks. The puppies were about 5 weeks when the... (11228 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (15180 views)

Swollen lip My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but... (13187 views)

Dog ate a feminine pad. My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.... (147408 views)

Limping dog. Hello, My dog is a GS mix - she is just over 1 yr old and weighs approx. 70 lbs. ... (18931 views)

Dog vomiting clear mucus and white foam. My dog continues to throw up a clear mucus with white foam. He is still very... (19113 views)

Contagious seizures. Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010.... (11686 views)

Urinary problems and fleas. hi dr i have 2 cockers a male and a female both are house broken but thay been... (7705 views)