Dog won't pee in the yard.

Breed: Shiba Inu
Our shiba Jesse has always peed and pooped in our fenced in backyard. We recently put a patio in. During construction we walked him because he was scared of the work. We walked him for 3 weeks now that the work is done. He will not pee or poop in the backyard.
We have tried:
Bringing others dogs over to pee
Put his own pee and poop in the yard
Have bought a pee post
Bought spray and spayed on grass
Have put a leash on him & walked him in yard
Used the command. Go potty

So all this with no result. Please help
How long can he hold it in? I cave in and walk him around 7 pm he pees and poops then will not do anything until I actually walk him at 7 pm the following night! Bt his can't be good. If I don't walk him will he eventually go in the yard. Or do I need to walk him?
How do I get him to go in the yard again?

I can't say that I have seen a dog have this problem before! But, I have an idea that may work for you.

Keep taking Jesse for walks outside of the yard. When he pees or poops give him lots of praise and keep using a word that you have made up such as "Hurry up!". Once you have done this for a few days, then take him for a walk back and forth in front of your house and whenever he does his business say "hurry up!" and give him treats. Then, try walking him even closer to where your yard is and do the same. And then, try walking him around the yard (on the leash). If he does his business in the yard then go crazy with treats and praise.

Alternatively, it's ok to only give him access to the back yard. He will eventually have to pee or poop and will not do damage to himself in waiting. He may be uncomfortable if he has to pee and doesn't want to, but eventually he has to go some time. Of course, when he does finally go then give him lots of praise.

I used to go through something similar to this every spring with my dog Joey years ago. In the winter he would only pee on snow. Then, as the snow melted he would find the last patches of snow to do his business on. He was quite upset when the snow was all gone, but eventually he changed his patterns.

I hope that helps!

Thank you we will try this. Just to make sure ....on the first set of walks which are further from the house. We praise him but we do NOT give treats ? We wait until we are closer to the house ? Thank you Janice

Actually I would say that you should give him treats on the first walks as well. The point to get across is that we really like it when he pees or poops!

Cisapride to a cat that is not eating? My cat has mega colon and been on cisapride and lactulose for 2 1/2 years. She has... (9611 views)

Guinea Pig losing hair. My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a... (10850 views)

Sick cat after teeth cleaning. she had her teeth cleaned on march 1st...came home..she was woozy from... (13625 views)

Surgery or rest for CCL tear. Dear Dr. Marie, My dog often limping recently and i've brought her to see a vet in... (8670 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (13652 views)

Blood tinged urine. Dr. Marie, My cat does not pee in her litterbox. Instead she will pee right... (10809 views)

Dog ate a grape. Hi, My 2 year old miniature schnauzer ate a red seedless grape about 20 minutes... (11006 views)

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (9990 views)

Gurgling belly. I'm not sure how long this has been going on as he stays with my mom now. However,... (20422 views)

Give thyroid medicine? Hi there, I live in a remote northern community and we do not have a vet here. My... (6951 views)