Dog won't pee in the yard.

Breed: Shiba Inu
Our shiba Jesse has always peed and pooped in our fenced in backyard. We recently put a patio in. During construction we walked him because he was scared of the work. We walked him for 3 weeks now that the work is done. He will not pee or poop in the backyard.
We have tried:
Bringing others dogs over to pee
Put his own pee and poop in the yard
Have bought a pee post
Bought spray and spayed on grass
Have put a leash on him & walked him in yard
Used the command. Go potty

So all this with no result. Please help
How long can he hold it in? I cave in and walk him around 7 pm he pees and poops then will not do anything until I actually walk him at 7 pm the following night! Bt his can't be good. If I don't walk him will he eventually go in the yard. Or do I need to walk him?
How do I get him to go in the yard again?

I can't say that I have seen a dog have this problem before! But, I have an idea that may work for you.

Keep taking Jesse for walks outside of the yard. When he pees or poops give him lots of praise and keep using a word that you have made up such as "Hurry up!". Once you have done this for a few days, then take him for a walk back and forth in front of your house and whenever he does his business say "hurry up!" and give him treats. Then, try walking him even closer to where your yard is and do the same. And then, try walking him around the yard (on the leash). If he does his business in the yard then go crazy with treats and praise.

Alternatively, it's ok to only give him access to the back yard. He will eventually have to pee or poop and will not do damage to himself in waiting. He may be uncomfortable if he has to pee and doesn't want to, but eventually he has to go some time. Of course, when he does finally go then give him lots of praise.

I used to go through something similar to this every spring with my dog Joey years ago. In the winter he would only pee on snow. Then, as the snow melted he would find the last patches of snow to do his business on. He was quite upset when the snow was all gone, but eventually he changed his patterns.

I hope that helps!

Thank you we will try this. Just to make sure ....on the first set of walks which are further from the house. We praise him but we do NOT give treats ? We wait until we are closer to the house ? Thank you Janice

Actually I would say that you should give him treats on the first walks as well. The point to get across is that we really like it when he pees or poops!

Itchy legs. Kirsty was diagnosed with a skin allergey just after one year which has been... (5157 views)

Hamster hair loss. Hello, My daughters hamster keeps loosing big patches of his fur and also his eyes... (10946 views)

Senior cat not eating and losing weight. My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly... (10380 views)

Puppy has a broken leg. Dear Marie, I have 9 weeks old Pomeranian. She broke her right front leg. She is... (39597 views)

Does Hartz flea treatment work? My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it... (16185 views)

Diarrhea from sour milk? my kittens have had diahria from my mom cats sour milk 2 weeks. I have given them... (15591 views)

Swelling inside leg. I got my beagle from a beagle rescue, so I don't know too much about her background... (24006 views)

How much water does a puppy drink? My dog is almost 9 months old and he drinks water all the time i often find him... (13850 views)

Itchy dog. Desirae was gave to us,she was dirty and i belive she was kept outside,when we got... (5938 views)

Seizures or syncopal episodes? For some history, Bella is a 12 year old pug who is as healthy as you can expect a... (7219 views)