Dog won't pee in the yard.

Breed: Shiba Inu
Our shiba Jesse has always peed and pooped in our fenced in backyard. We recently put a patio in. During construction we walked him because he was scared of the work. We walked him for 3 weeks now that the work is done. He will not pee or poop in the backyard.
We have tried:
Bringing others dogs over to pee
Put his own pee and poop in the yard
Have bought a pee post
Bought spray and spayed on grass
Have put a leash on him & walked him in yard
Used the command. Go potty

So all this with no result. Please help
How long can he hold it in? I cave in and walk him around 7 pm he pees and poops then will not do anything until I actually walk him at 7 pm the following night! Bt his can't be good. If I don't walk him will he eventually go in the yard. Or do I need to walk him?
How do I get him to go in the yard again?

I can't say that I have seen a dog have this problem before! But, I have an idea that may work for you.

Keep taking Jesse for walks outside of the yard. When he pees or poops give him lots of praise and keep using a word that you have made up such as "Hurry up!". Once you have done this for a few days, then take him for a walk back and forth in front of your house and whenever he does his business say "hurry up!" and give him treats. Then, try walking him even closer to where your yard is and do the same. And then, try walking him around the yard (on the leash). If he does his business in the yard then go crazy with treats and praise.

Alternatively, it's ok to only give him access to the back yard. He will eventually have to pee or poop and will not do damage to himself in waiting. He may be uncomfortable if he has to pee and doesn't want to, but eventually he has to go some time. Of course, when he does finally go then give him lots of praise.

I used to go through something similar to this every spring with my dog Joey years ago. In the winter he would only pee on snow. Then, as the snow melted he would find the last patches of snow to do his business on. He was quite upset when the snow was all gone, but eventually he changed his patterns.

I hope that helps!

Thank you we will try this. Just to make sure ....on the first set of walks which are further from the house. We praise him but we do NOT give treats ? We wait until we are closer to the house ? Thank you Janice

Actually I would say that you should give him treats on the first walks as well. The point to get across is that we really like it when he pees or poops!

Dog can't jump. My dog keeps shaking and isn't acting herself. Her whole body is shaking but it is... (21711 views)

Diarrhea from sour milk? my kittens have had diahria from my mom cats sour milk 2 weeks. I have given them... (15051 views)

Should cat have her teeth cleaned? My 13 year old cat recently went for a wellness vet visit at a new vet. The vet... (11331 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (22158 views)

Limping after cat fight. Hello, My cat recently had a fight with another cat. Now he is limping on his left... (10314 views)

Large lump on back. hi. my dog has a large hump on the top of his back. it doesn't seem to hurt him at... (16283 views)

Vomiting every day. My cat has been throwing up almost every day for weeks but not after feeding. This... (30389 views)

Bleeding anal glands. My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal... (9166 views)

Cloudy eye with blood. My dog has what seemed to be pink eye but the blood has seeped into the iris. There... (8719 views)

Aspirin and Lasix? Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen... (9340 views)