Dog won't pee in the yard.

Breed: Shiba Inu
Our shiba Jesse has always peed and pooped in our fenced in backyard. We recently put a patio in. During construction we walked him because he was scared of the work. We walked him for 3 weeks now that the work is done. He will not pee or poop in the backyard.
We have tried:
Bringing others dogs over to pee
Put his own pee and poop in the yard
Have bought a pee post
Bought spray and spayed on grass
Have put a leash on him & walked him in yard
Used the command. Go potty

So all this with no result. Please help
How long can he hold it in? I cave in and walk him around 7 pm he pees and poops then will not do anything until I actually walk him at 7 pm the following night! Bt his can't be good. If I don't walk him will he eventually go in the yard. Or do I need to walk him?
How do I get him to go in the yard again?

I can't say that I have seen a dog have this problem before! But, I have an idea that may work for you.

Keep taking Jesse for walks outside of the yard. When he pees or poops give him lots of praise and keep using a word that you have made up such as "Hurry up!". Once you have done this for a few days, then take him for a walk back and forth in front of your house and whenever he does his business say "hurry up!" and give him treats. Then, try walking him even closer to where your yard is and do the same. And then, try walking him around the yard (on the leash). If he does his business in the yard then go crazy with treats and praise.

Alternatively, it's ok to only give him access to the back yard. He will eventually have to pee or poop and will not do damage to himself in waiting. He may be uncomfortable if he has to pee and doesn't want to, but eventually he has to go some time. Of course, when he does finally go then give him lots of praise.

I used to go through something similar to this every spring with my dog Joey years ago. In the winter he would only pee on snow. Then, as the snow melted he would find the last patches of snow to do his business on. He was quite upset when the snow was all gone, but eventually he changed his patterns.

I hope that helps!

Thank you we will try this. Just to make sure ....on the first set of walks which are further from the house. We praise him but we do NOT give treats ? We wait until we are closer to the house ? Thank you Janice

Actually I would say that you should give him treats on the first walks as well. The point to get across is that we really like it when he pees or poops!

21 year old cat is dying. THIS IS URGENt, BUT I DON'T HAVE 15.00 RIGHT NOW!! i THINK MY 21 YEAR OLD CAT IS... (12035 views)

Frequent urination in puppy. Dr. Marie, We have a brand new 7 week old bullmastiff female, named June...I have... (25688 views)

Painful erection My 9 month old dog, Jack, has been getting erections that last up to about 10... (22002 views)

Food to dissolve bladder stones. We have a 12-13 year old dog who has been diagnosed with 5 large stones in her... (17366 views)

Mole on dog's leg. My dog has what looks like a mole on his leg, do dogs have moles or should I take... (13993 views)

Not eating losing weight. Age: 13 months Weight: 8 1/2 pounds He was 9 pounds, but lost half a pound in May.... (4752 views)

Rogain toxic to dogs? Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question. I have... (23690 views)

Do you like being a vet? Hi Dr. Marie I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very... (10171 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (5565 views)

Cancer or pyometra? My lab who was quite healthy up and until August started to show a dulling coat and... (11811 views)