Spinal cord lymphoma

Breed: Border Collie mix
Hello Dr. Marie,
Our angel puppy Oreo passed away last night. We decided to move forward with euthanization because we could not watch her suffer.
In a matter of 2 days, she went from being a complete maniac to paralyzed except for her tail and neck/head. The vet did a spinal tap and recommended we do not treat her with chemo and stated she might not make it through the night, we felt rushed.
She was a such peace when we visited her last, we decided to put her to sleep while we were holding her and kissing her instead of alone in a cage during the night.

Being so young, and money was not an issue, we are fighting with ourselves that we should have given her a shot with chemotherapy despite the vet's advice. Based on how quickly she became paralyzed and that the lymphoma was everywhere in her spine, did we do the right thing for her? Looking beyond our emotional tie with her, scientifically did she have a chance for some more fun with us?

Struggling for clarity,
Brandon

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Oreo. Cancer is difficult at any time, but especially hard in such a young animal.

While some dogs with lymphoma can be treated successfully with chemotherapy, dogs with lymphoma usually can't be treated with success. There are two reasons for this.

The first reason is that the chemotherapy drugs that we use to treat lymphoma don't penetrate into the spinal cord well. The blood brain barrier stops a lot of drugs, including most chemotherapies from penetrating well into the spinal fluid.

The second is that once there has been damage to the spinal tissue, this damage is not reversible. This means that even if we found a chemotherapy that successfully got into the spinal cord, the damage to nerves in the spinal cord would be permanent and Oreo would never be able to walk again.

I know this was a hard decision but it sounds like you did the right thing.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thank you so much...my wife and I have been crying all day over the decision, we are so crushed...your response brought peace to us and I am so glad we reached out to you...thank you so much, I can't describe how much your answer will impact our lives, especially during this painful grieving...

You're so welcome Brandon. I pray that your grieving period is short. It sounds like Oreo was very well loved for her short life.

Lump after vaccines. We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he... (32244 views)

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (31926 views)

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (10607 views)

Effects of tobacco on dogs. wat happens wen u feed ur dog a piece of levi garrett tabacco wit his... (9660 views)

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (30753 views)

Bottom lip tremor. my poodle has recently developed a bottom lip tremor. What would cause... (29929 views)

When to put down older dog. I know my dog is on the way out, she has cataracts, hearing is dim, legs are shaky,... (5862 views)

Swollen eye. Hello dr. Marie. I have had my male cat since he was 8 weeks old and i adopted him... (11319 views)

White spot on eye. My cat has a greyish white spot on surface of her eye. It is not in the iris nor is... (29285 views)

Puppy has had diarrhea 5 days. Oliver has had diarrhea on and off for about 5 days. He is acting normally... (69757 views)