Spinal cord lymphoma

Breed: Border Collie mix
Hello Dr. Marie,
Our angel puppy Oreo passed away last night. We decided to move forward with euthanization because we could not watch her suffer.
In a matter of 2 days, she went from being a complete maniac to paralyzed except for her tail and neck/head. The vet did a spinal tap and recommended we do not treat her with chemo and stated she might not make it through the night, we felt rushed.
She was a such peace when we visited her last, we decided to put her to sleep while we were holding her and kissing her instead of alone in a cage during the night.

Being so young, and money was not an issue, we are fighting with ourselves that we should have given her a shot with chemotherapy despite the vet's advice. Based on how quickly she became paralyzed and that the lymphoma was everywhere in her spine, did we do the right thing for her? Looking beyond our emotional tie with her, scientifically did she have a chance for some more fun with us?

Struggling for clarity,
Brandon

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Oreo. Cancer is difficult at any time, but especially hard in such a young animal.

While some dogs with lymphoma can be treated successfully with chemotherapy, dogs with lymphoma usually can't be treated with success. There are two reasons for this.

The first reason is that the chemotherapy drugs that we use to treat lymphoma don't penetrate into the spinal cord well. The blood brain barrier stops a lot of drugs, including most chemotherapies from penetrating well into the spinal fluid.

The second is that once there has been damage to the spinal tissue, this damage is not reversible. This means that even if we found a chemotherapy that successfully got into the spinal cord, the damage to nerves in the spinal cord would be permanent and Oreo would never be able to walk again.

I know this was a hard decision but it sounds like you did the right thing.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thank you so much...my wife and I have been crying all day over the decision, we are so crushed...your response brought peace to us and I am so glad we reached out to you...thank you so much, I can't describe how much your answer will impact our lives, especially during this painful grieving...

You're so welcome Brandon. I pray that your grieving period is short. It sounds like Oreo was very well loved for her short life.

Cerenia and FIP. Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It... (8119 views)

Enlarged lymph nodes on chemo. My furry child was recently diagnosed Lymphoma, cells suggestive of T-cell. I do... (13216 views)

Feline acne? Dr. Marie, About a week ago I noticed a small grayish black nodule on my cat's... (27020 views)

Red liquid in rats eyes. My rat has no energy and she has red liquid comimg out her eyes and she is shaking... (11457 views)

Vet didn't ask my permission. I came home to find my beloved cat unable to stand (seemed drunken) and felt cooler... (8729 views)

Does my puppy have a UTI? My puggle puppy usually tells me when she has to go out. But for the past two-three... (10990 views)

Wart on dog's foot. Last Friday I was walking my dog and he suddenly pulled up his front right paw and... (25918 views)

Sneezing dog. My 1 year old Chihuahua has been sneezing and reverse sneezing for the last couple... (25775 views)

Scrubbing Bubbles toxic? My Toulouse is a male. I discovered one day that after I would exit the shower &... (21285 views)

Profender and pregnant women. Hi there Dr. Marie This isn't a direct question about an animal but I'm wondering... (8596 views)