Spinal cord lymphoma

Breed: Border Collie mix
Hello Dr. Marie,
Our angel puppy Oreo passed away last night. We decided to move forward with euthanization because we could not watch her suffer.
In a matter of 2 days, she went from being a complete maniac to paralyzed except for her tail and neck/head. The vet did a spinal tap and recommended we do not treat her with chemo and stated she might not make it through the night, we felt rushed.
She was a such peace when we visited her last, we decided to put her to sleep while we were holding her and kissing her instead of alone in a cage during the night.

Being so young, and money was not an issue, we are fighting with ourselves that we should have given her a shot with chemotherapy despite the vet's advice. Based on how quickly she became paralyzed and that the lymphoma was everywhere in her spine, did we do the right thing for her? Looking beyond our emotional tie with her, scientifically did she have a chance for some more fun with us?

Struggling for clarity,
Brandon

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Oreo. Cancer is difficult at any time, but especially hard in such a young animal.

While some dogs with lymphoma can be treated successfully with chemotherapy, dogs with lymphoma usually can't be treated with success. There are two reasons for this.

The first reason is that the chemotherapy drugs that we use to treat lymphoma don't penetrate into the spinal cord well. The blood brain barrier stops a lot of drugs, including most chemotherapies from penetrating well into the spinal fluid.

The second is that once there has been damage to the spinal tissue, this damage is not reversible. This means that even if we found a chemotherapy that successfully got into the spinal cord, the damage to nerves in the spinal cord would be permanent and Oreo would never be able to walk again.

I know this was a hard decision but it sounds like you did the right thing.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thank you so much...my wife and I have been crying all day over the decision, we are so crushed...your response brought peace to us and I am so glad we reached out to you...thank you so much, I can't describe how much your answer will impact our lives, especially during this painful grieving...

You're so welcome Brandon. I pray that your grieving period is short. It sounds like Oreo was very well loved for her short life.

Cat's heart rate question. Does the heart-rate depend on the age of the... (9007 views)

Hartz and Advantage. I gave my cat Hartz one spot flea treatment and it doesnt work grrrr, i gave it on... (11258 views)

Dog's baby teeth not out. Hi Dr Marie, Happy Holidays to you. I have a question. I don't think this is a... (14746 views)

Becoming a veterinary assistant? I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches... (5896 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (11629 views)

Cat losing weight. I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple... (10497 views)

D-Con mice bait ingested. 75 to 80 lb dog ingested D-con mice bait, eliminated it all in bowel movement,... (22206 views)

Allergic reaction. Last night my dog went outside and came back in with a red, irritated mouth. ... (58725 views)

Vomiting 3 times per day. My dog is vomiting about 3x per day. She seems to be happy and wants to eat a... (22216 views)

Peeing in house. We live in a 2 story 5 bedroom house. I have a male 14 year old pure bred Ragdoll... (9576 views)