Spinal cord lymphoma

Breed: Border Collie mix
Hello Dr. Marie,
Our angel puppy Oreo passed away last night. We decided to move forward with euthanization because we could not watch her suffer.
In a matter of 2 days, she went from being a complete maniac to paralyzed except for her tail and neck/head. The vet did a spinal tap and recommended we do not treat her with chemo and stated she might not make it through the night, we felt rushed.
She was a such peace when we visited her last, we decided to put her to sleep while we were holding her and kissing her instead of alone in a cage during the night.

Being so young, and money was not an issue, we are fighting with ourselves that we should have given her a shot with chemotherapy despite the vet's advice. Based on how quickly she became paralyzed and that the lymphoma was everywhere in her spine, did we do the right thing for her? Looking beyond our emotional tie with her, scientifically did she have a chance for some more fun with us?

Struggling for clarity,
Brandon

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Oreo. Cancer is difficult at any time, but especially hard in such a young animal.

While some dogs with lymphoma can be treated successfully with chemotherapy, dogs with lymphoma usually can't be treated with success. There are two reasons for this.

The first reason is that the chemotherapy drugs that we use to treat lymphoma don't penetrate into the spinal cord well. The blood brain barrier stops a lot of drugs, including most chemotherapies from penetrating well into the spinal fluid.

The second is that once there has been damage to the spinal tissue, this damage is not reversible. This means that even if we found a chemotherapy that successfully got into the spinal cord, the damage to nerves in the spinal cord would be permanent and Oreo would never be able to walk again.

I know this was a hard decision but it sounds like you did the right thing.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thank you so much...my wife and I have been crying all day over the decision, we are so crushed...your response brought peace to us and I am so glad we reached out to you...thank you so much, I can't describe how much your answer will impact our lives, especially during this painful grieving...

You're so welcome Brandon. I pray that your grieving period is short. It sounds like Oreo was very well loved for her short life.

Tapeworm pictures in a dog. I just discovered my dog has worms in her poop. She sleeps on our bed and where she... (38981 views)

Dog ate grapes. My dog ate 3 grapes! My son gave them to him about 2-3 hours ago. Are grapes... (12968 views)

Bad euthanasia Hello, I had to have my dog euthanized. After she got her first injection to be... (5948 views)

Hamster biting leg Hi Iam a newbe to the whole dwaf hamster thing so I have this six week year old... (14228 views)

Dog ate chicken bones. PLese help me! My 8 year old American Golden just ate cooked chicken bones! What... (142042 views)

Is my cat in heat? i have a female cat who is 1 1/2 years old she isn't spayed and has gone in heat... (10071 views)

Housetraining advice for puppy. I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the... (9000 views)

Drooling and not eating. My female cat, Patches, has been with me since I was young. She has never been to a... (14629 views)

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (26143 views)

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (14459 views)