Boxer with distended stomach and pale gums

Breed: Boxer/URGENT PLEASE!
******Urgent Please******CAN NOT AFFORD UPGRADE

[Editor's Note: Questions are delivered to Dr. Marie in the order in which they are asked. No priority is given to urgent questions as our free questions are not screened prior to delivery to the vet. If you need an answer urgently you must use one of the paid options (available for as little as $5.00) ]

My 9yr. old male boxer has a distended stomach, has had for the past week now. Has had one bout of bloody diarrhea. Tongue and gums are white. he yelps in pain when he moves wrong. Not producing to much stool at this time almost like squirts of runny diarrhea orangish in color. He's very alert, happy, eating, urinating fine, not taking in water to much. Upon sleeping he's seems to have somewhat of labored breathing and very snorry. 6 months ago he was vomiting a lot of whole dry dog food and would drop unconsciously after a bout of coughing and choking happened 3 times. We switched to soft food and haven't had a problem with that since. The vet confirmed that his gums were real protruded over his teeth, so that caused a problem with chewing. Current Symptoms of distention and pain has me worried. Vet is trying to convince my husband to either allow him to pass away at home or if he is in to much pain to bring him in to be put to sleep. No x-rays or blood work have been done yet nor have they even felt on his stomach. Temp is fine, yesterday mouth coloring was fine. I want a second opinion on what the possibilities are that could be going on. the vet seems to think it could be his spleen and paying out the money for x-rays and blood work could be a waste of our time if he's dying anyway. I keep thinking it could be something simple to. I need reassurance, so I can convince my husband to go ahead with the x-rays. Could it be worms in the stomach, or fluid, or what about an object? Please help I'm trying to advocate for my animal and preserve his life if I can.
Thank You,
Mrs.Havens

I'm sorry to hear that Harley is not doing well. His symptoms really have me concerned.

Unfortunately most of the possible conditions that come to my mind are quite serious.

Yes, one possibility is a problem with his spleen such as a tumor. A spleen tumor can suddenly rupture and cause blood loss into the abdomen. The blood loss can cause the white gums. However, this is usually not terribly painful for the dog.

The other possibility that I am worried about is bloat (otherwise known as gastric dilation volvulus (GDV)). Bloat is an extremely serious condition. While it can be treated successfully with surgery the surgery is extremely expensive and not all dogs survive. If a dog has bloat the stomach twists and fills with air. You will see the abdomen distending visibly and it is very uncomfortable for the dog. The twisted stomach obstructs blood vessels and causes the dog to produce toxins which cause shock which would be causing the white gums.

Another possibility that could cause white gums and abdominal distension is heart failure. Boxers can get a condition called dilated cardiomyopathy. Unfortunately successful treatment of this condition is not common.

This is a case where I would not hesitate to take him in and have some xrays taken. I would not advise letting him pass away at home as he sounds like he is very uncomfortable.

If you are reluctant to spend the money on xrays then, with the guidance of your vet, you may want to consider euthanasia.

I am so sorry for the bad news.

Cat has swollen foot. I took my cat to the vet bc he was limping and they said he may have cut his foot... (4361 views)

Dog ate goat feces. Hello, We had a baby goat that contracted tetanus. Before we knew he was sick, he... (7867 views)

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (9314 views)

Snapping noise in joints. Doctor, We have two labs (chocolate, and black). They love to run, fetch, play, and... (11708 views)

Dog going blind. Our dog Vinnie started suddenly to become lethargic and then over a period of 4... (6341 views)

Kitten died. Hello I work at the humane society. We recently adopted out a 13 week old long... (6418 views)

Ear problems in a cat. I adopted my cat Fudge from a shelter when he was 9. He came with a host of... (8859 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi Marie, We spoke briefly this morning about my cat. As I said this morning,... (7570 views)

Wobbly lab. Hello - About 4 weeks ago, Koda started acting very stiff around his neck so we... (12700 views)

Goopy eyes. My kittens eyes are BOTH gooping up a lot. I do not know if it is an infection, or... (9156 views)