Honey for a wound.

Breed: Paint
Whats your opinion on using raw honey to treat and heal my geldings staph abcesses after theyve drained. Ive been squirting raw honey in his drain holes and no anitibiotic ointments. The vet who came out and lanced the boil told me to use it but i call other vet and they went crazy at the idea and said bacteria thrive in honey and no way to use it. Im finding its ok. Please advise. Im lost and hes abcessing again after treating w inj antibiotics just two months ago. Help!! Thanks. Dina

Honey is actually a great treatment for wounds. I will commonly use either honey or sugar in combo with antibiotics in order to help heal up a large wound.

Granted, I treat only cats and dogs and pocket pets so I can't say for sure if this is an acceptable treatment in a horse. If the wound is abscessing again though he's likely going to need more vet care.

Lumps on hips. My dog is five years old female golden/lab. Three weeks ago I noticed two bumps at... (15893 views)

Possible stroke? Hi, Back at the end of June my dog was hit by a truck, his brakes locked, and... (10453 views)

Can dogs get chlamydia? I recently found out that i had Chlamydia, my dog hank has a bad habit of getting... (38689 views)

Boxer with kennel cough. I adopted Shelby from a shelter. She has the kennel cough and I am treating her with... (15575 views)

Repeated diarrhea and vomiting. Dr. Marie: Thank you for your input and warning -- this will be a bit lengthy. I... (11257 views)

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (10124 views)

IVDD and swimming. My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk... (5787 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (27456 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My cat lulu was just attacked by a dog today....i'm a new mommy...and currently... (6168 views)

Testicle tumor and incontinence. my 11 year old dog has a swollen testicle, (a friend told me it may be a tumor), he... (8733 views)