Honey for a wound.

Breed: Paint
Whats your opinion on using raw honey to treat and heal my geldings staph abcesses after theyve drained. Ive been squirting raw honey in his drain holes and no anitibiotic ointments. The vet who came out and lanced the boil told me to use it but i call other vet and they went crazy at the idea and said bacteria thrive in honey and no way to use it. Im finding its ok. Please advise. Im lost and hes abcessing again after treating w inj antibiotics just two months ago. Help!! Thanks. Dina

Honey is actually a great treatment for wounds. I will commonly use either honey or sugar in combo with antibiotics in order to help heal up a large wound.

Granted, I treat only cats and dogs and pocket pets so I can't say for sure if this is an acceptable treatment in a horse. If the wound is abscessing again though he's likely going to need more vet care.

Benadryl for thunderstorms? My dog is terified of thunderstoms. Pants, tongue hanging out, eyes huge, and heart... (39298 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (6686 views)

Senior cat losing weight. Hello, My cat is 11 or 12 years old (he was a rescue kitty I inherited, so I'm... (6576 views)

Pancreatitis in dogs. A few days ago my little 8 pounds, 2 years old chihuahua was having an upset... (24251 views)

Anemic dog. Hi, I'm really worried about my dog Sammy. He was at the vet a couple of days ago... (10783 views)

Goat's milk for puppies. Is goat's milk good to give nursing puppies? My puppies won't nurse and I was told... (8730 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (8271 views)

Lethargic and following me around. Hi, My dog Harley is 3 yrs old. Starting 2 days ago he hasn't been acting like... (14523 views)

Do cats get leptospirosis? Hi... My Name is Dasha.. i'm from Jakarta, Indonesia. I had a kitten, named Lilo,... (12857 views)

Dental problems in 20 year old cat. My cat Jack, who is 20 yrs old and has a predominant heart murmur and obviously a... (14540 views)