Honey for a wound.

Breed: Paint
Whats your opinion on using raw honey to treat and heal my geldings staph abcesses after theyve drained. Ive been squirting raw honey in his drain holes and no anitibiotic ointments. The vet who came out and lanced the boil told me to use it but i call other vet and they went crazy at the idea and said bacteria thrive in honey and no way to use it. Im finding its ok. Please advise. Im lost and hes abcessing again after treating w inj antibiotics just two months ago. Help!! Thanks. Dina

Honey is actually a great treatment for wounds. I will commonly use either honey or sugar in combo with antibiotics in order to help heal up a large wound.

Granted, I treat only cats and dogs and pocket pets so I can't say for sure if this is an acceptable treatment in a horse. If the wound is abscessing again though he's likely going to need more vet care.

Cat urinalysis. Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! My cat DB had a Urinalysis (by... (6186 views)

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (7999 views)

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (7095 views)

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (10803 views)

Recovery from FCE. Our dog was diagnosed with FCE about two months ago, I have been noticing some... (9591 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (7627 views)

Broken leg - not eating. Last night my 7 week old puppy broke her leg , we took her to the emergency pet... (6349 views)

Can I deworm a nursing female dog? BB is nursing 3 week old pups,can she be wormed while... (40355 views)

Coughing. Antifungals. My seven year old, male Lab cross, Nero, has a strange condition that I have not... (7378 views)

Sick after spay. She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.).... (46649 views)