Honey for a wound.

Breed: Paint
Whats your opinion on using raw honey to treat and heal my geldings staph abcesses after theyve drained. Ive been squirting raw honey in his drain holes and no anitibiotic ointments. The vet who came out and lanced the boil told me to use it but i call other vet and they went crazy at the idea and said bacteria thrive in honey and no way to use it. Im finding its ok. Please advise. Im lost and hes abcessing again after treating w inj antibiotics just two months ago. Help!! Thanks. Dina

Honey is actually a great treatment for wounds. I will commonly use either honey or sugar in combo with antibiotics in order to help heal up a large wound.

Granted, I treat only cats and dogs and pocket pets so I can't say for sure if this is an acceptable treatment in a horse. If the wound is abscessing again though he's likely going to need more vet care.

Does dog saliva heal a wound? Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a... (9819 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (31673 views)

Large red spots on dog's stomach. When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach.... (198937 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (13445 views)

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (11311 views)

Children's shampoo for dog? okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old... (16100 views)

Sard Oxy Plus. My cat accidently stood in some Sard Oxy Plus stain remover then licked her paws and... (10612 views)

Give thyroid medicine? Hi there, I live in a remote northern community and we do not have a vet here. My... (9489 views)

Cat with sore penis. I have a neutered male cat 5 years old. 4 months ago he was really sick, we took him... (23041 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (10004 views)