Honey for a wound.

Breed: Paint
Whats your opinion on using raw honey to treat and heal my geldings staph abcesses after theyve drained. Ive been squirting raw honey in his drain holes and no anitibiotic ointments. The vet who came out and lanced the boil told me to use it but i call other vet and they went crazy at the idea and said bacteria thrive in honey and no way to use it. Im finding its ok. Please advise. Im lost and hes abcessing again after treating w inj antibiotics just two months ago. Help!! Thanks. Dina

Honey is actually a great treatment for wounds. I will commonly use either honey or sugar in combo with antibiotics in order to help heal up a large wound.

Granted, I treat only cats and dogs and pocket pets so I can't say for sure if this is an acceptable treatment in a horse. If the wound is abscessing again though he's likely going to need more vet care.

Cat has a sore mouth. My cat does this thing with her mouth as if there's something stuck in her tooth but... (18880 views)

19 year old cat died. My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of... (8606 views)

Male rabbits mounting. i have just got two babay rabbits that should be both 10 weeks old male and... (43120 views)

Coughing dog. Hi, We have talked before. Trixie is 13 years old and has had kidney issues. I... (17233 views)

Supraglan for Cushing's? My dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's disease. He has been drinking a lot of... (17288 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (6399 views)

Min Pin won't eat. My 2 year old (obese) miniature pinscher has been displaying very odd behavior.... (12772 views)

Do male cats go into heat? Hi, I recived a new male cat and I would like to know if exist a "tablett" or... (8027 views)

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (18304 views)

Mouth infection in cat. my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting... (8622 views)