Skin problems.

Breed: cocker spaniel
i have a male cocker spaniel 11yrs old, the last couple months he has been shedding,dry scaley skin, he has bald spots on his belly that are lightly reddish and licks and scratches constantly

It is really common for a cocker spaniel to have a skin problem!

Do you think there is any way you can get photos of Lavi to send to me? I can tell a lot more from a photo than from a description. If you have photos you can send them to photos@askavetquestion.com.

The most common reason for a dog to have itchy bald scaley spots is a bacterial skin infection. These are really common, especially in spaniels! If it is a skin infection then the only thing that will work is to get antibiotics from your vet. Many dogs need several weeks of antibiotics in order to clear up an infection.

There are other possibilities. Sometimes cocker spaniels can have thyroid conditions that can cause them to be more prone to skin infections.

While allergies can cause skin problems, we usually see redness on the feet, ears and anus so this is less likely.

Ringworm, which is a fungal infection is a possibility as well. But this is less likely than a bacterial infection.

Let me know if you can send me a picture. But, in any case it sounds like it would be a good idea to have your vet examine him.

Lump under dog's eye? Hello, A couple days ago I noticed a red-pink bump under my dog's right eye. It... (23622 views)

Are soy nuts bad for dogs? Are roasted soynuts safe for... (15283 views)

Dog licking his penis. My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during... (45141 views)

Need exam with steroid shot? Is it by the state of law that your cat needs to be examined when you know the cat... (4137 views)

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (11282 views)

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (24122 views)

Diarrhea and lump on face. My dog is a female Husky, 12 years old, 45 pounds. She had severe diarrhea... (9407 views)

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (7026 views)

Honey for a wound. Whats your opinion on using raw honey to treat and heal my geldings staph abcesses... (7572 views)

Sore black lab? Hi, I have a 6 1/2 year old extremely active Black Lab named Miller. He loves to... (20367 views)