Skin problems.

Breed: cocker spaniel
i have a male cocker spaniel 11yrs old, the last couple months he has been shedding,dry scaley skin, he has bald spots on his belly that are lightly reddish and licks and scratches constantly

It is really common for a cocker spaniel to have a skin problem!

Do you think there is any way you can get photos of Lavi to send to me? I can tell a lot more from a photo than from a description. If you have photos you can send them to photos@askavetquestion.com.

The most common reason for a dog to have itchy bald scaley spots is a bacterial skin infection. These are really common, especially in spaniels! If it is a skin infection then the only thing that will work is to get antibiotics from your vet. Many dogs need several weeks of antibiotics in order to clear up an infection.

There are other possibilities. Sometimes cocker spaniels can have thyroid conditions that can cause them to be more prone to skin infections.

While allergies can cause skin problems, we usually see redness on the feet, ears and anus so this is less likely.

Ringworm, which is a fungal infection is a possibility as well. But this is less likely than a bacterial infection.

Let me know if you can send me a picture. But, in any case it sounds like it would be a good idea to have your vet examine him.

Dog inhaled bleach. Our dog is having trouble breathing after inhaling Clorox. It was accidental my... (47967 views)

Milky urine in guinea pig. One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is... (10864 views)

Can't walk, dehydrated puppy. My puppy is 3 months old. She was left at home with her dogsitter but was obviously... (16267 views)

Dog gagging and coughing. My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck in his throat. Does... (242957 views)

Watery eyes. Minnie's eyes are very watery, she can't seem to keep them open and her nose is... (10832 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (7991 views)

Rodent ulcer treatment options. My cat is 9 yrs old has it 4th case of rodent ulcer on its mouth usely it takes... (13272 views)

old dog is peeing in the house. spot is 17 and has started weeing in house constantley even when we have doors open... (21219 views)

Switching foods for allergies. My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and... (7584 views)

Limping cat with heart problems. Hudson is a 10 year old indoor house cat. He originally came from a garbage dump in... (15033 views)