Skin problems.

Breed: cocker spaniel
i have a male cocker spaniel 11yrs old, the last couple months he has been shedding,dry scaley skin, he has bald spots on his belly that are lightly reddish and licks and scratches constantly

It is really common for a cocker spaniel to have a skin problem!

Do you think there is any way you can get photos of Lavi to send to me? I can tell a lot more from a photo than from a description. If you have photos you can send them to photos@askavetquestion.com.

The most common reason for a dog to have itchy bald scaley spots is a bacterial skin infection. These are really common, especially in spaniels! If it is a skin infection then the only thing that will work is to get antibiotics from your vet. Many dogs need several weeks of antibiotics in order to clear up an infection.

There are other possibilities. Sometimes cocker spaniels can have thyroid conditions that can cause them to be more prone to skin infections.

While allergies can cause skin problems, we usually see redness on the feet, ears and anus so this is less likely.

Ringworm, which is a fungal infection is a possibility as well. But this is less likely than a bacterial infection.

Let me know if you can send me a picture. But, in any case it sounds like it would be a good idea to have your vet examine him.

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (70933 views)

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (14494 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (10865 views)

Superglue for dog's wound. He had a cut on his leg from broken glass fairly deep but not long, nor puncture. I... (26030 views)

Cat meows constantly. Hello- Our 8 year old male cat meows constantly, and he does things like dribble... (11046 views)

Carrots and nuts safe for dogs? Is it safe to feed her carrots or nuts of any kind? We have just been feeding them... (13715 views)

Rat Lifespan? Sick rat. My 3 yr old rat is sick. His skin feels cold, breathing is rapid and labored, eyes... (11464 views)

Won't eat kidney diet. My cat is 17 years old. She has kidney disease and has been on kidney food (both... (16385 views)

How much exercise for a puppy? Hi Dr Marie, I'm pleased to report Max is doing well.. changing from Iams to p/d... (9204 views)

Suddenly jumps up. I have a dauschund and sheltie mix dog. He's about 3 years old. I've had him for 2... (78175 views)