Skin problems.

Breed: cocker spaniel
i have a male cocker spaniel 11yrs old, the last couple months he has been shedding,dry scaley skin, he has bald spots on his belly that are lightly reddish and licks and scratches constantly

It is really common for a cocker spaniel to have a skin problem!

Do you think there is any way you can get photos of Lavi to send to me? I can tell a lot more from a photo than from a description. If you have photos you can send them to photos@askavetquestion.com.

The most common reason for a dog to have itchy bald scaley spots is a bacterial skin infection. These are really common, especially in spaniels! If it is a skin infection then the only thing that will work is to get antibiotics from your vet. Many dogs need several weeks of antibiotics in order to clear up an infection.

There are other possibilities. Sometimes cocker spaniels can have thyroid conditions that can cause them to be more prone to skin infections.

While allergies can cause skin problems, we usually see redness on the feet, ears and anus so this is less likely.

Ringworm, which is a fungal infection is a possibility as well. But this is less likely than a bacterial infection.

Let me know if you can send me a picture. But, in any case it sounds like it would be a good idea to have your vet examine him.

Vomiting lethargic puppy. my dog is not wanting to eat at all and is just laying around she has vomited a few... (45610 views)

Kitten diarrhea the kitten is about 2mths old and has diarea she was a wild kitten born outside... (11149 views)

Poodle with leg problems. My dog is a small size poodle. she is now 2 years old when she turned 1 she started... (9518 views)

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (50912 views)

Sneezing dog. My 1 year old Chihuahua has been sneezing and reverse sneezing for the last couple... (27017 views)

Dog shaking head. My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??)... (15615 views)

Will neutering stop a dog peeing on things? hi i my dog pisses on everything well getting him fixes stop that thanks... (11619 views)

Painful dog. I apologize in advance for this being so long, but I want to give the history so you... (9281 views)

Should I have euthanized? We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here... (9839 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (8038 views)