Skin problems.

Breed: cocker spaniel
i have a male cocker spaniel 11yrs old, the last couple months he has been shedding,dry scaley skin, he has bald spots on his belly that are lightly reddish and licks and scratches constantly

It is really common for a cocker spaniel to have a skin problem!

Do you think there is any way you can get photos of Lavi to send to me? I can tell a lot more from a photo than from a description. If you have photos you can send them to photos@askavetquestion.com.

The most common reason for a dog to have itchy bald scaley spots is a bacterial skin infection. These are really common, especially in spaniels! If it is a skin infection then the only thing that will work is to get antibiotics from your vet. Many dogs need several weeks of antibiotics in order to clear up an infection.

There are other possibilities. Sometimes cocker spaniels can have thyroid conditions that can cause them to be more prone to skin infections.

While allergies can cause skin problems, we usually see redness on the feet, ears and anus so this is less likely.

Ringworm, which is a fungal infection is a possibility as well. But this is less likely than a bacterial infection.

Let me know if you can send me a picture. But, in any case it sounds like it would be a good idea to have your vet examine him.

Sedation for euthanasia? My cat was recently diagnosed with tumors in his lungs.He's no longer eating on his... (12733 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (19963 views)

Puppy has a small eye. my puppy has an eye defect it is smaller than the other and seems to be lazy it is... (21610 views)

Type of clippers? I need to know what kind or brand of trimmer to use on my rough coat Collie. Tried... (11222 views)

Pain in front leg. She has been limping, crying out to us, and holding up her front right leg. It... (7897 views)

Peeing orange and losing weight. I have a village dog, I think he is dying, I don't know what to do. I always feed... (18614 views)

Ferret with hair loss and wobbliness. My ferett has lost all hair on back and i came home today and he is extremly wobbly... (20357 views)

Bumps on belly and vomiting. MY NEO IS AROUND 2 MONTHS OLD,NOT YET VACCINATED. FOR SOME DAYS BOILS ARE... (8191 views)

bloat in boerboels Hello. I'm currently looking at information about the boerboel. I'm thinking about... (11124 views)

Dog urinating in the house. I really need help, i have a dog that is now one and a half years old, hes a cross... (10192 views)