Bleach for parvo?

Breed: Teacup Chihuahua
My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little over a week ago, we found out yesterday she is positive for Parvo. I've heard you can give dogs small amounts of bleach in water to prevent your other dogs from getting it and to help kill parvo in your pet. Is that true? Should I mix some bleach in water for my chihuahua to keep her from getting it? She's behind on shots. And she isn't showing signs of Parvo, she's healthy as can be and still herself!

Oh goodness, no! You have gotten some information confused here.

Bleach is quite effective at killing parvo in the environment but it is not at all safe to use on a pet or to give to a pet in any way.

If you have had parvo virus in your house, then washing the floors thoroughly with bleach will do a good job at destroying virus particles that may be there.

But, do not put bleach in your dog's water! It will burn her esophagus and stomach and would be quite harmful.

The only way to prevent parvo virus in a dog is to get your dog vaccinated for parvo. However, at this point, once she has already been exposed it really is too late to vaccinate her. So the best thing you can do is keep the chihuahua away from any place where the sick dog has had diarrhea or vomit.

I hope that your dogs do ok!

Dog ate absorbent chicken pad. My dog just ate one of those absorbent pads from a chicken meat tray......would this... (45150 views)

Why did my kitten die? I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her... (8530 views)

Inbreeding dogs. is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies... (26296 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (6697 views)

Ear infection. Fred has been miserable. I have tried what i know to do. He has had a ear infection... (4767 views)

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (6697 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (4931 views)

Mouth infection in cat. my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting... (5599 views)

Orange urine in a dog. I have had Moe for two years. He is 17 years old now according to the vet. He... (5019 views)

Does my cat have glaucoma? About 2 weeks ago, I started noticing that Mietzi's right pupil would always stay... (2872 views)