Bleach for parvo?

Breed: Teacup Chihuahua
My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little over a week ago, we found out yesterday she is positive for Parvo. I've heard you can give dogs small amounts of bleach in water to prevent your other dogs from getting it and to help kill parvo in your pet. Is that true? Should I mix some bleach in water for my chihuahua to keep her from getting it? She's behind on shots. And she isn't showing signs of Parvo, she's healthy as can be and still herself!

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Oh goodness, no! You have gotten some information confused here.

Bleach is quite effective at killing parvo in the environment but it is not at all safe to use on a pet or to give to a pet in any way.

If you have had parvo virus in your house, then washing the floors thoroughly with bleach will do a good job at destroying virus particles that may be there.

But, do not put bleach in your dog's water! It will burn her esophagus and stomach and would be quite harmful.

The only way to prevent parvo virus in a dog is to get your dog vaccinated for parvo. However, at this point, once she has already been exposed it really is too late to vaccinate her. So the best thing you can do is keep the chihuahua away from any place where the sick dog has had diarrhea or vomit.

I hope that your dogs do ok!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (5114 views)

My kitten died. Hi Dr Marie, We came home on Sunday after a night away (less than 24 hours) to... (7230 views)

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (6910 views)

Cat peed on my bed. My neutered male cat has peed on my bed twice now. I've had him for almost a year... (4993 views)

Lump near spay incision. Dog has sore on paw looks like a circle and it's very tender to touch. It has... (8985 views)

Arthritis medicine I have a 10 month old Pomeranian who appears to have hip problems. I am very low... (5108 views)

Dog won't eat. HELP! Starting I think Thursday or Friday Max ate but was easily distracted. I'd... (14835 views)

Older cat with diarrhea Gizzy has Diarrhea most all the time and it smells really bad She used to throw up... (7002 views)

Diarrhea and not eating. My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped... (2627 views)

Dental problems and weight loss. i think she has a bad tooth,lost of weight,not eating her regular food,gave her rice... (10895 views)