Bleach for parvo?

Breed: Teacup Chihuahua
My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little over a week ago, we found out yesterday she is positive for Parvo. I've heard you can give dogs small amounts of bleach in water to prevent your other dogs from getting it and to help kill parvo in your pet. Is that true? Should I mix some bleach in water for my chihuahua to keep her from getting it? She's behind on shots. And she isn't showing signs of Parvo, she's healthy as can be and still herself!

Oh goodness, no! You have gotten some information confused here.

Bleach is quite effective at killing parvo in the environment but it is not at all safe to use on a pet or to give to a pet in any way.

If you have had parvo virus in your house, then washing the floors thoroughly with bleach will do a good job at destroying virus particles that may be there.

But, do not put bleach in your dog's water! It will burn her esophagus and stomach and would be quite harmful.

The only way to prevent parvo virus in a dog is to get your dog vaccinated for parvo. However, at this point, once she has already been exposed it really is too late to vaccinate her. So the best thing you can do is keep the chihuahua away from any place where the sick dog has had diarrhea or vomit.

I hope that your dogs do ok!

Dog has bone cancer. My dog has been limping for some time now. His toe has been diagnosed with Bone... (12051 views)

Metronidazole for cats alternative? My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed... (13245 views)

My dog is pooping blood. What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was... (684224 views)

Dog eating dirt. My dog consumes grass and now wants to eat dirt when outside exercising despite a... (17847 views)

PU surgery on a cat? Hi Dr. Marie , I hope you can help me with my cat, Jack. He is 1 ½ years old and... (10222 views)

Great Dane not eating. Dr. Marie, my dog molly just recently started not eating dog food or drinking and... (11768 views)

Cause of high ALP? mickey a male is 6 and 1/2 years old. he was prescribed on 8/12/11 rimadyl (1/2 75mg... (13524 views)

Sore ears. 6 months ago my Scottish terrier came down with swelling and fluid on right side of... (7321 views)

Cat with coccidia My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she... (8412 views)

Sick Golden Dr., I try to keep this short: My kids golden, 7+ years old, got lyme like 3... (7614 views)