Bleach for parvo?

Breed: Teacup Chihuahua
My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little over a week ago, we found out yesterday she is positive for Parvo. I've heard you can give dogs small amounts of bleach in water to prevent your other dogs from getting it and to help kill parvo in your pet. Is that true? Should I mix some bleach in water for my chihuahua to keep her from getting it? She's behind on shots. And she isn't showing signs of Parvo, she's healthy as can be and still herself!

Oh goodness, no! You have gotten some information confused here.

Bleach is quite effective at killing parvo in the environment but it is not at all safe to use on a pet or to give to a pet in any way.

If you have had parvo virus in your house, then washing the floors thoroughly with bleach will do a good job at destroying virus particles that may be there.

But, do not put bleach in your dog's water! It will burn her esophagus and stomach and would be quite harmful.

The only way to prevent parvo virus in a dog is to get your dog vaccinated for parvo. However, at this point, once she has already been exposed it really is too late to vaccinate her. So the best thing you can do is keep the chihuahua away from any place where the sick dog has had diarrhea or vomit.

I hope that your dogs do ok!

Dog's stool a little loose. Dr Marie, Examining that bump around Max's nipples it appears to be less solid.... (3438 views)

Cat with green patch on skin. first i would like to thank you for your time. When my cat was a kitten i thought... (12007 views)

Itchy smelly dark skin. Good day! I am Arby Bautista from Laguna, Philippines. I searched the internet... (4662 views)

Cat with megacolon. My 12-year old cat was diagnosed with megacolon about five years ago. When he looks... (5326 views)

Can rabbits carry rabies? I am wondering what the chances of a baby wild rabbit having rabies is. The baby is... (11818 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. We went up to Lake Tahoe for the weekend, both of our dogs receive home made food,... (11128 views)

Cat has diarrhea. Hi, Our cat has diarrhea - it seems that she licks and licks herself and then it... (6578 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (11285 views)

Dog can't pee. I was outside today and I looked over at my dog. He bent over to pee but no pee... (12906 views)

Sensitive tail and belly. My cat was spayed almost 5 months ago, and I've noticed since then, that she does... (3189 views)