Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Bleach for parvo?

Species: Dog
Breed: Teacup Chihuahua
Age: 3-6 months
My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little over a week ago, we found out yesterday she is positive for Parvo. I've heard you can give dogs small amounts of bleach in water to prevent your other dogs from getting it and to help kill parvo in your pet. Is that true? Should I mix some bleach in water for my chihuahua to keep her from getting it? She's behind on shots. And she isn't showing signs of Parvo, she's healthy as can be and still herself!


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh goodness, no! You have gotten some information confused here.

Bleach is quite effective at killing parvo in the environment but it is not at all safe to use on a pet or to give to a pet in any way.

If you have had parvo virus in your house, then washing the floors thoroughly with bleach will do a good job at destroying virus particles that may be there.

But, do not put bleach in your dog's water! It will burn her esophagus and stomach and would be quite harmful.

The only way to prevent parvo virus in a dog is to get your dog vaccinated for parvo. However, at this point, once she has already been exposed it really is too late to vaccinate her. So the best thing you can do is keep the chihuahua away from any place where the sick dog has had diarrhea or vomit.

I hope that your dogs do ok!

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Not eating and vomiting. Our Dog won't eat and drinks very little if any. Friday last weekend Harper's... (9554 views)

Dog died suddenly. Please help me....My dog lucky (6) was found dead at the side of our house the other... (36696 views)

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (8746 views)

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (6191 views)

Cat ate vitamin D3. I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of Vitamin D3 I read your... (16086 views)

Deformed leg on puppy. I have a Pomeranian Maltese that gave birth early yesterday morning. When going to... (6167 views)

Not well after vaccines. Had rabies distemper & bord shots fri Gave her frontline & heartguard yest night.... (5845 views)

Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion. My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an... (12009 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (14645 views)

Sick after eating Iams ProHealth. My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now... (7133 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.