Bleach for parvo?

Breed: Teacup Chihuahua
My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little over a week ago, we found out yesterday she is positive for Parvo. I've heard you can give dogs small amounts of bleach in water to prevent your other dogs from getting it and to help kill parvo in your pet. Is that true? Should I mix some bleach in water for my chihuahua to keep her from getting it? She's behind on shots. And she isn't showing signs of Parvo, she's healthy as can be and still herself!

Oh goodness, no! You have gotten some information confused here.

Bleach is quite effective at killing parvo in the environment but it is not at all safe to use on a pet or to give to a pet in any way.

If you have had parvo virus in your house, then washing the floors thoroughly with bleach will do a good job at destroying virus particles that may be there.

But, do not put bleach in your dog's water! It will burn her esophagus and stomach and would be quite harmful.

The only way to prevent parvo virus in a dog is to get your dog vaccinated for parvo. However, at this point, once she has already been exposed it really is too late to vaccinate her. So the best thing you can do is keep the chihuahua away from any place where the sick dog has had diarrhea or vomit.

I hope that your dogs do ok!

Dog licking anus after vaccines. The day after a routine vax appt with a new vet, our dog suddenly began licking her... (8043 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi Marie, We spoke briefly this morning about my cat. As I said this morning,... (6824 views)

German Shepherd not eating. I have a 13 year old female german shepherd. She is currently taking Proin and... (10650 views)

Should I neuter him? My male chihuahua follows my female Lhasa Apso all around the house. The Lhasa does... (4930 views)

Great Dane not eating. Dr. Marie, my dog molly just recently started not eating dog food or drinking and... (8356 views)

Pregnant if bred when bleeding? I have a golden retriever that's about to be 3years old. She recently mated with... (50385 views)

Hair loss on a boxer. I've had Kizzie for two years. She's a vibrant and playful dog. Recently, I've... (10380 views)

Does my dog have rabies? How likely in your experience will my puppy get rabies if one of her litter mates... (6699 views)

Getting a second guinea pig. So I have a male guinea pig and one of my friends can't keep hers so she is gonna... (6104 views)

Yellow liquid at tip of penis. Every once in a while (maybe twice a week) he will have a yellowish white dot of... (12473 views)