Bleach for parvo?

Breed: Teacup Chihuahua
My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little over a week ago, we found out yesterday she is positive for Parvo. I've heard you can give dogs small amounts of bleach in water to prevent your other dogs from getting it and to help kill parvo in your pet. Is that true? Should I mix some bleach in water for my chihuahua to keep her from getting it? She's behind on shots. And she isn't showing signs of Parvo, she's healthy as can be and still herself!

Oh goodness, no! You have gotten some information confused here.

Bleach is quite effective at killing parvo in the environment but it is not at all safe to use on a pet or to give to a pet in any way.

If you have had parvo virus in your house, then washing the floors thoroughly with bleach will do a good job at destroying virus particles that may be there.

But, do not put bleach in your dog's water! It will burn her esophagus and stomach and would be quite harmful.

The only way to prevent parvo virus in a dog is to get your dog vaccinated for parvo. However, at this point, once she has already been exposed it really is too late to vaccinate her. So the best thing you can do is keep the chihuahua away from any place where the sick dog has had diarrhea or vomit.

I hope that your dogs do ok!

Large red spots on dog's stomach. When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach.... (145007 views)

Needs anal glands done again. I just took Chloe to the vet last weekend because she was skooting and her vet... (6502 views)

Not eating or drinking because lonely? i have a puppy i've had her in the backyard now my sister had an inspection at her... (6571 views)

Possible demodectic mange. We live in Bangladesh an are unable to obtian decent vet care for my dog. I am... (35506 views)

Infected spay incision? Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps... (11998 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (81504 views)

Dog is bleeding. My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started... (48415 views)

Hydrocode side effect? My dog is a 16-1/2 year old Wheaten who has had two seizures at a groomers. I took... (5620 views)

Recurring respiratory symptoms. My 1 yr old Burmese cat was purchased with what we think is cat flu. She has... (10681 views)

6 month puppy drinks a lot. I got Bentley at 3 months old. Since the beginning I always felt as if he was... (23237 views)