Wart on dog's foot.

Breed: Terrier Mix
Last Friday I was walking my dog and he suddenly pulled up his front right paw and started yelping for about 20 seconds. When I got home I looked at the area and there were no signs of injury. Over the last week in the same spot a growth has started to develop and is growing fairly rapidly. I took him to the vet on Monday and she squeezed a very small amount of white stuff out and looked at it under the microscope to determine if it was an allergic reaction. She said it was not and prescribed him antibiotics, pain meds and an antiseptic soak. The growths are now noticibly larger. And, where there were 2, there are now four grouped together. They appear to be solid and are painful to the touch. He was limping for several days but is no longer limping. I have pictures that I will submit to the email address. If I need to go back to the (very expensive) vet, I would appreciate hearing your advice so that I can ask informed questions and get him the care he may need.

Thank you.

Sorry to hear that Archie is having problems with his foot. Thanks for the excellent photos you sent me. I've cropped one and included it here:

footpad papilloma

Now, keep in mind that I can't give an official diagnosis over the internet but what I am seeing here really looks like something called a viral papilloma. We most commonly see viral papillomas on a dog's face, but we can see them on the foot as well. They tend to be quite painful on the foot.

These will eventually go away on their own. However, they can take several months to resolve. Recently we discovered that many viral papillomas will be cured with an antibiotic called azithromycin. You can talk to your vet about trying this. It is believed that the virus needs a particular bacteria in order to thrive. When the azithromycin kills the bacteria then the warts die off. I find that 90% of the time when I use this drug, the wart is completely gone within 7-10 days.

These warts are contagious so you will want to keep Archie from other dogs until it is gone.

Now there is a possibility that this is some other type of growth. If it doesn't seem to be improving then your vet may need to surgically remove it. But I will be surprised if this needs to happen.

I just wanted to add that I am sorry I took a little longer than normal to respond to you. I am currently on maternity leave with a new baby and my organizational skills are lacking right now. I hope you understand. :)

Hope things are better soon!

Vomiting foamy yellow stuff. My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago... (18548 views)

Brain tumor or epilepsy? Hi Dr. Marie I have a yellow lab named Sam He experienced seizures twice... (10556 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (9118 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (6238 views)

Sneezing, vomiting, coughing. my cat is sneezing vomiting coughing breathing through his mouth and has hard... (22991 views)

How often is heat cycle? Bonnie is a pure chocolate labrador & was 6 in september (2011). I'm wondering how... (26634 views)

Advil for arthritis? Can you give advil or store brand anti-inflammatories for arthritis or do you have... (17466 views)

Short of breath and runny nose. My dog is shor of breath, has a runny nose, and is shaking please help me I do not... (7412 views)

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (9713 views)

Bromonidine (like amitraz) toxicity. MY DOG SWALLOWED SOME BRIMONIDINE TARTRATE OPHTHALMIC 5 ML SHE IS VERY WEAK AND... (13147 views)