Wart on dog's foot.

Breed: Terrier Mix
Last Friday I was walking my dog and he suddenly pulled up his front right paw and started yelping for about 20 seconds. When I got home I looked at the area and there were no signs of injury. Over the last week in the same spot a growth has started to develop and is growing fairly rapidly. I took him to the vet on Monday and she squeezed a very small amount of white stuff out and looked at it under the microscope to determine if it was an allergic reaction. She said it was not and prescribed him antibiotics, pain meds and an antiseptic soak. The growths are now noticibly larger. And, where there were 2, there are now four grouped together. They appear to be solid and are painful to the touch. He was limping for several days but is no longer limping. I have pictures that I will submit to the email address. If I need to go back to the (very expensive) vet, I would appreciate hearing your advice so that I can ask informed questions and get him the care he may need.

Thank you.

Sorry to hear that Archie is having problems with his foot. Thanks for the excellent photos you sent me. I've cropped one and included it here:

footpad papilloma

Now, keep in mind that I can't give an official diagnosis over the internet but what I am seeing here really looks like something called a viral papilloma. We most commonly see viral papillomas on a dog's face, but we can see them on the foot as well. They tend to be quite painful on the foot.

These will eventually go away on their own. However, they can take several months to resolve. Recently we discovered that many viral papillomas will be cured with an antibiotic called azithromycin. You can talk to your vet about trying this. It is believed that the virus needs a particular bacteria in order to thrive. When the azithromycin kills the bacteria then the warts die off. I find that 90% of the time when I use this drug, the wart is completely gone within 7-10 days.

These warts are contagious so you will want to keep Archie from other dogs until it is gone.

Now there is a possibility that this is some other type of growth. If it doesn't seem to be improving then your vet may need to surgically remove it. But I will be surprised if this needs to happen.

I just wanted to add that I am sorry I took a little longer than normal to respond to you. I am currently on maternity leave with a new baby and my organizational skills are lacking right now. I hope you understand. :)

Hope things are better soon!

Hamster escaping out lid. hello, my hamster has a rody cage but i noticed the other day that he had biten... (8422 views)

Dog bite wound. Hello, My dog got bit by a Pit bull on Saturday 9/1. I was not able to take him to... (13457 views)

Wobbly after back surgery. My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to... (9314 views)

Megaesophagus in a puppy. I have a 7 week old lab/pit mix puppy who has been throwing up her food since we got... (9527 views)

Sedative after heartworm treatment? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 and a half year old boxer/lab that is being treated... (14720 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (5579 views)

Dog with bad breath. im from philippines, i really sleep at bed every night with my dog.the problem is, i... (11452 views)

Not putting weight on leg. Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When... (12598 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (7514 views)

Gabapentin and Metacam My 19 year old cat, Lily, has chronic arthritis pain. We have tried Cosequin and it... (12420 views)