Wart on dog's foot.

Breed: Terrier Mix
Last Friday I was walking my dog and he suddenly pulled up his front right paw and started yelping for about 20 seconds. When I got home I looked at the area and there were no signs of injury. Over the last week in the same spot a growth has started to develop and is growing fairly rapidly. I took him to the vet on Monday and she squeezed a very small amount of white stuff out and looked at it under the microscope to determine if it was an allergic reaction. She said it was not and prescribed him antibiotics, pain meds and an antiseptic soak. The growths are now noticibly larger. And, where there were 2, there are now four grouped together. They appear to be solid and are painful to the touch. He was limping for several days but is no longer limping. I have pictures that I will submit to the email address. If I need to go back to the (very expensive) vet, I would appreciate hearing your advice so that I can ask informed questions and get him the care he may need.

Thank you.

Sorry to hear that Archie is having problems with his foot. Thanks for the excellent photos you sent me. I've cropped one and included it here:

footpad papilloma

Now, keep in mind that I can't give an official diagnosis over the internet but what I am seeing here really looks like something called a viral papilloma. We most commonly see viral papillomas on a dog's face, but we can see them on the foot as well. They tend to be quite painful on the foot.

These will eventually go away on their own. However, they can take several months to resolve. Recently we discovered that many viral papillomas will be cured with an antibiotic called azithromycin. You can talk to your vet about trying this. It is believed that the virus needs a particular bacteria in order to thrive. When the azithromycin kills the bacteria then the warts die off. I find that 90% of the time when I use this drug, the wart is completely gone within 7-10 days.

These warts are contagious so you will want to keep Archie from other dogs until it is gone.

Now there is a possibility that this is some other type of growth. If it doesn't seem to be improving then your vet may need to surgically remove it. But I will be surprised if this needs to happen.

I just wanted to add that I am sorry I took a little longer than normal to respond to you. I am currently on maternity leave with a new baby and my organizational skills are lacking right now. I hope you understand. :)

Hope things are better soon!

Patches of hair loss on snout. Hi, my dog Penelope has started to develop a patch of hair loss on the right side of... (23587 views)

Rabbit with maggots Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were... (13533 views)

Noticing metallic odor. Hi! I recently adopted a dog from a NYC euth list. I've had her for about 3 weeks... (40192 views)

Puppy has red weepy eyes. my puppies eyelids on the inside are very red and his eyes have been weeping a lot,... (13113 views)

Rapid breathing in sleep. My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out... (124741 views)

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (47870 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello, I have been grieving because a few days ago I had my cat euthanized. I am... (37031 views)

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (14151 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur. Hello, my 12 year old beagle just recently went into the vet for a check up and the... (15843 views)

Pregnant dog has tick disease. my dog is pregnant and she is suffering from tick disease so can i give her... (14014 views)