Wart on dog's foot.

Breed: Terrier Mix
Last Friday I was walking my dog and he suddenly pulled up his front right paw and started yelping for about 20 seconds. When I got home I looked at the area and there were no signs of injury. Over the last week in the same spot a growth has started to develop and is growing fairly rapidly. I took him to the vet on Monday and she squeezed a very small amount of white stuff out and looked at it under the microscope to determine if it was an allergic reaction. She said it was not and prescribed him antibiotics, pain meds and an antiseptic soak. The growths are now noticibly larger. And, where there were 2, there are now four grouped together. They appear to be solid and are painful to the touch. He was limping for several days but is no longer limping. I have pictures that I will submit to the email address. If I need to go back to the (very expensive) vet, I would appreciate hearing your advice so that I can ask informed questions and get him the care he may need.

Thank you.

Sorry to hear that Archie is having problems with his foot. Thanks for the excellent photos you sent me. I've cropped one and included it here:

footpad papilloma

Now, keep in mind that I can't give an official diagnosis over the internet but what I am seeing here really looks like something called a viral papilloma. We most commonly see viral papillomas on a dog's face, but we can see them on the foot as well. They tend to be quite painful on the foot.

These will eventually go away on their own. However, they can take several months to resolve. Recently we discovered that many viral papillomas will be cured with an antibiotic called azithromycin. You can talk to your vet about trying this. It is believed that the virus needs a particular bacteria in order to thrive. When the azithromycin kills the bacteria then the warts die off. I find that 90% of the time when I use this drug, the wart is completely gone within 7-10 days.

These warts are contagious so you will want to keep Archie from other dogs until it is gone.

Now there is a possibility that this is some other type of growth. If it doesn't seem to be improving then your vet may need to surgically remove it. But I will be surprised if this needs to happen.

I just wanted to add that I am sorry I took a little longer than normal to respond to you. I am currently on maternity leave with a new baby and my organizational skills are lacking right now. I hope you understand. :)

Hope things are better soon!

Suddenly jumps up. I have a dauschund and sheltie mix dog. He's about 3 years old. I've had him for 2... (74094 views)

Puppy has a broken leg. Dear Marie, I have 9 weeks old Pomeranian. She broke her right front leg. She is... (40483 views)

Vomiting 3 times per day. My dog is vomiting about 3x per day. She seems to be happy and wants to eat a... (20825 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (13414 views)

Can I give hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting? I gave my puppy a tablespoon and a half of hydrogen peroxide to help him throw up... (26038 views)

Cat hair loss. My cat has some blood above both er of her eyes and it looks like the fur fell out.... (52220 views)

Can dogs eat carrots? hi i have a rabbit and a dog. the dog is a shoodle cross between shitzu and a... (14468 views)

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (6216 views)

Dog is obsessively licking at things. Hello. I have a question about my dog. I think she's experienced some tummy... (9336 views)

Older dog having seizures. She has been having more vestibular events lately and closer to each other and I'm... (8967 views)