Wart on dog's foot.

Breed: Terrier Mix
Last Friday I was walking my dog and he suddenly pulled up his front right paw and started yelping for about 20 seconds. When I got home I looked at the area and there were no signs of injury. Over the last week in the same spot a growth has started to develop and is growing fairly rapidly. I took him to the vet on Monday and she squeezed a very small amount of white stuff out and looked at it under the microscope to determine if it was an allergic reaction. She said it was not and prescribed him antibiotics, pain meds and an antiseptic soak. The growths are now noticibly larger. And, where there were 2, there are now four grouped together. They appear to be solid and are painful to the touch. He was limping for several days but is no longer limping. I have pictures that I will submit to the email address. If I need to go back to the (very expensive) vet, I would appreciate hearing your advice so that I can ask informed questions and get him the care he may need.

Thank you.

Sorry to hear that Archie is having problems with his foot. Thanks for the excellent photos you sent me. I've cropped one and included it here:

footpad papilloma

Now, keep in mind that I can't give an official diagnosis over the internet but what I am seeing here really looks like something called a viral papilloma. We most commonly see viral papillomas on a dog's face, but we can see them on the foot as well. They tend to be quite painful on the foot.

These will eventually go away on their own. However, they can take several months to resolve. Recently we discovered that many viral papillomas will be cured with an antibiotic called azithromycin. You can talk to your vet about trying this. It is believed that the virus needs a particular bacteria in order to thrive. When the azithromycin kills the bacteria then the warts die off. I find that 90% of the time when I use this drug, the wart is completely gone within 7-10 days.

These warts are contagious so you will want to keep Archie from other dogs until it is gone.

Now there is a possibility that this is some other type of growth. If it doesn't seem to be improving then your vet may need to surgically remove it. But I will be surprised if this needs to happen.

I just wanted to add that I am sorry I took a little longer than normal to respond to you. I am currently on maternity leave with a new baby and my organizational skills are lacking right now. I hope you understand. :)

Hope things are better soon!

Dog with phlegm from mouth hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the... (47114 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (9202 views)

Cat licks obsessively. My 4 year old cat has been doing a strange behavior for the last 1.5 years. He... (7669 views)

Chronic pancreatitis flareup. Kasma is currently being treated for chronic pancreatitis...she's been on... (6838 views)

Is this distemper? I live in Mexico and I rescued Trinket when she was 8 to 10 weeks old. She had... (8716 views)

My dog eats too fast. My dog eats too fast. He occasionally gags a bit or throws up shortly after eating,... (25530 views)

Should I neuter him? My male chihuahua follows my female Lhasa Apso all around the house. The Lhasa does... (6468 views)

Black spot or scab on dog's nose. Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister... (35574 views)

Is my cat losing weight? My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight... (5240 views)

Why did my cat die? my 10-year-old cat died today, she had lost weight had yesterday something happened... (11323 views)