Remend

Breed: unknown
(The dog is not mine)
A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a country where it is not available. (I live in the US and will travel to their country soon)
I read up on it and understand that the medication is new, untried and potentially useless.
Assuming that they got the recommendation from a vet there and that the dog has the condition Remend is advertised for, can I get it (should I get it or would you recommend an alternative)?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Is corn bad for dogs?
Can dogs eat corn?

You've asked an excellent question!

Virbac Remend is a product that is meant for treating corneal ulcers in cats and dogs. It uses something called hyaluronan which is meant to help speed up the healing of an ulcer. (An ulcer is a scratch on the eye).

There is definitely controversy over this drug. Here are a few reasons why it is controversial:

• The main thing that is marketed about this drug is that it can heal up a corneal ulcer in as little as 48 hours. However, most corneal ulcers are healed within 48 hours when treated with regular antibiotic drops.

• The studies that have been done on Remend have been done on rabbits, not on cats and dogs.

• There are no studies (that I am aware of) that show that this drug improves the speed of healing of corneal ulcers as compared to other treatments.

Most veterinary ophthalmologists are still undecided on whether or not Remend is a great drug or not. Some have found that it seems to help. And then others say that they are not convinced that it is any better than standard treatments we currently use.

My standard treatment for a corneal ulcer is to use an antibiotic drop such as gentamycin along with oral pain medication. If an ulcer is not healing well then there are other things that can be done such as applying a local anesthetic and making tiny scratches on the eye to encourage healing. There are many other things that can be done as well.

And finally, this all may be a moot point because Remend is a prescription product. This means that you could not purchase it from your vet without a prescription. And your vet could not prescribe it for an animal that they have never seen.

I hope this clears things up!

Cat with sore penis. I have a neutered male cat 5 years old. 4 months ago he was really sick, we took him... (18951 views)

Pink lump on dog's paw. I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in... (57766 views)

Pea sized lump. Hi Dr. This morning I noticed a pea-sized lump on one of Max's ribs on the left... (57276 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello, I have been grieving because a few days ago I had my cat euthanized. I am... (28561 views)

Vaccine FeLV positive cat? If my cat tested positive for FeLv should he still get vaccine boosters like fvrcp,... (6559 views)

Cat aggressive with new kitten. I just got a new kitten but one of the cats in my house is attacking him. Ever... (13848 views)

Swollen eye after removal. Hi My 16 month old male pug had his intact left globe removed 10 months ago after... (5758 views)

Wobbly drooling kitten. I have a 6 month old tabby and a few days ago he started walking almost bow legged... (12580 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (13998 views)

Cat is eating less and vomiting. Bernie has been on Royal Canin wet Overweight Management food for awhile. Lately he... (4770 views)