Remend

Breed: unknown
(The dog is not mine)
A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a country where it is not available. (I live in the US and will travel to their country soon)
I read up on it and understand that the medication is new, untried and potentially useless.
Assuming that they got the recommendation from a vet there and that the dog has the condition Remend is advertised for, can I get it (should I get it or would you recommend an alternative)?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Is corn bad for dogs?
Can dogs eat corn?

You've asked an excellent question!

Virbac Remend is a product that is meant for treating corneal ulcers in cats and dogs. It uses something called hyaluronan which is meant to help speed up the healing of an ulcer. (An ulcer is a scratch on the eye).

There is definitely controversy over this drug. Here are a few reasons why it is controversial:

• The main thing that is marketed about this drug is that it can heal up a corneal ulcer in as little as 48 hours. However, most corneal ulcers are healed within 48 hours when treated with regular antibiotic drops.

• The studies that have been done on Remend have been done on rabbits, not on cats and dogs.

• There are no studies (that I am aware of) that show that this drug improves the speed of healing of corneal ulcers as compared to other treatments.

Most veterinary ophthalmologists are still undecided on whether or not Remend is a great drug or not. Some have found that it seems to help. And then others say that they are not convinced that it is any better than standard treatments we currently use.

My standard treatment for a corneal ulcer is to use an antibiotic drop such as gentamycin along with oral pain medication. If an ulcer is not healing well then there are other things that can be done such as applying a local anesthetic and making tiny scratches on the eye to encourage healing. There are many other things that can be done as well.

And finally, this all may be a moot point because Remend is a prescription product. This means that you could not purchase it from your vet without a prescription. And your vet could not prescribe it for an animal that they have never seen.

I hope this clears things up!

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (7006 views)

Chin acne in cats. He's been on a cleansing agent and anti-biotic/steroid for 5 of 7 days for his acne... (8467 views)

Recurrent bladder infection. I have a four month old pug puppy that has had symptoms of UTI since 4/8/13. She is... (13401 views)

Can I give my cat milk? Hi, could you please tell me if I can give my ragdoll kitten scrambled eggs made... (10868 views)

Sick kitten. Kitty is 13 weeks old, has had diarehha off and on for 9 days, also another sibling,... (11168 views)

Methamphetamine use by dog. "My dog has mental breakdown in which he acts like he is on drugs. he runs in... (17446 views)

Tums for calcium? Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and... (20583 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (24671 views)

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (6416 views)

Sedation for euthanasia? My cat was recently diagnosed with tumors in his lungs.He's no longer eating on his... (13069 views)