Remend

Breed: unknown
(The dog is not mine)
A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a country where it is not available. (I live in the US and will travel to their country soon)
I read up on it and understand that the medication is new, untried and potentially useless.
Assuming that they got the recommendation from a vet there and that the dog has the condition Remend is advertised for, can I get it (should I get it or would you recommend an alternative)?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Is corn bad for dogs?
Can dogs eat corn?

You've asked an excellent question!

Virbac Remend is a product that is meant for treating corneal ulcers in cats and dogs. It uses something called hyaluronan which is meant to help speed up the healing of an ulcer. (An ulcer is a scratch on the eye).

There is definitely controversy over this drug. Here are a few reasons why it is controversial:

• The main thing that is marketed about this drug is that it can heal up a corneal ulcer in as little as 48 hours. However, most corneal ulcers are healed within 48 hours when treated with regular antibiotic drops.

• The studies that have been done on Remend have been done on rabbits, not on cats and dogs.

• There are no studies (that I am aware of) that show that this drug improves the speed of healing of corneal ulcers as compared to other treatments.

Most veterinary ophthalmologists are still undecided on whether or not Remend is a great drug or not. Some have found that it seems to help. And then others say that they are not convinced that it is any better than standard treatments we currently use.

My standard treatment for a corneal ulcer is to use an antibiotic drop such as gentamycin along with oral pain medication. If an ulcer is not healing well then there are other things that can be done such as applying a local anesthetic and making tiny scratches on the eye to encourage healing. There are many other things that can be done as well.

And finally, this all may be a moot point because Remend is a prescription product. This means that you could not purchase it from your vet without a prescription. And your vet could not prescribe it for an animal that they have never seen.

I hope this clears things up!

New hamster tips. Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago... (8246 views)

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (8703 views)

Dog limping. My dog just started having pain today. We took him on a particularly long walk... (10078 views)

Puppy with crystals. our registered golden retriever,Ginger, had a litter of puppies a few months ago(no... (10754 views)

Bump on ribcage. Hello, I noticed today that the kitten has a hard bone like rounded bump right where... (17025 views)

Puppy died and had fluid in lungs. Hi Dr. Marie, My case is probally irrelevant now since my 14 weeks puppy(american... (16110 views)

Senior cat not eating and losing weight. My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly... (10102 views)

Older cat with vomiting and white nose. My cat is a 13y.o., outdoor (day) / indoor (night), mouser/birder, and has been a... (16622 views)

Pattern baldness in dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have noticed that over the last few months my dog seems to be... (10235 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 10 week old OES pup, male. He is in good weight, healthy... (15119 views)