Remend

Breed: unknown
(The dog is not mine)
A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a country where it is not available. (I live in the US and will travel to their country soon)
I read up on it and understand that the medication is new, untried and potentially useless.
Assuming that they got the recommendation from a vet there and that the dog has the condition Remend is advertised for, can I get it (should I get it or would you recommend an alternative)?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Is corn bad for dogs?
Can dogs eat corn?

You've asked an excellent question!

Virbac Remend is a product that is meant for treating corneal ulcers in cats and dogs. It uses something called hyaluronan which is meant to help speed up the healing of an ulcer. (An ulcer is a scratch on the eye).

There is definitely controversy over this drug. Here are a few reasons why it is controversial:

• The main thing that is marketed about this drug is that it can heal up a corneal ulcer in as little as 48 hours. However, most corneal ulcers are healed within 48 hours when treated with regular antibiotic drops.

• The studies that have been done on Remend have been done on rabbits, not on cats and dogs.

• There are no studies (that I am aware of) that show that this drug improves the speed of healing of corneal ulcers as compared to other treatments.

Most veterinary ophthalmologists are still undecided on whether or not Remend is a great drug or not. Some have found that it seems to help. And then others say that they are not convinced that it is any better than standard treatments we currently use.

My standard treatment for a corneal ulcer is to use an antibiotic drop such as gentamycin along with oral pain medication. If an ulcer is not healing well then there are other things that can be done such as applying a local anesthetic and making tiny scratches on the eye to encourage healing. There are many other things that can be done as well.

And finally, this all may be a moot point because Remend is a prescription product. This means that you could not purchase it from your vet without a prescription. And your vet could not prescribe it for an animal that they have never seen.

I hope this clears things up!

Possible coonhound paralysis? My dogs front right leg went out on him last night. He was on waiting list for ACL... (10365 views)

Fluid in the lungs that got better. Hi, My boy Buster Brown has an array of health probs from dry eye syndrome to... (6233 views)

Dog shaking head. My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??)... (13955 views)

Gabapentin and Metacam My 19 year old cat, Lily, has chronic arthritis pain. We have tried Cosequin and it... (10467 views)

urinating in the house Dr. Marie, Isabella is a healthy 13 yr old female cat. For a short period we... (6711 views)

Dog's nails are breaking. My dog is about 10 years old and shows no signs of any illness. Recently, her nails... (8490 views)

Goat's milk for puppies. Is goat's milk good to give nursing puppies? My puppies won't nurse and I was told... (7122 views)

Frontline and Sentry? My husband put sentry flea and tick squeeze on our dog 2 days ago,and it didn;t work... (9664 views)

Lungworm from slugs? My dog just licked a small slug. Is there a possibility of a... (10366 views)

Ear infection and FIV. Hi, I got Monty from a rescue home 5 months ago. he is an fiv + cat and looked so... (6502 views)