Blood tinged urine.

Breed: household cat
Dr. Marie,

My cat does not pee in her litterbox. Instead she will pee right outside the box, and even on my parents bed! After doing some research, we thought she may be stressed out because I was gone on a vacation for a week. We thought the description fit perfectly because the article said stress in a cat can cause red tinged urine, which is also something i have noticed. So after i got back from my trip I made sure to give her extra attention, and since then I havn't noticed anymore red urine.
Yet, she still continues to pee anywhere but in the box. After doing more research I thought she may be associating unpleasant feelings with her current box. So i purchased her a brand new box, and new litter. She still pees in random places. We have had to throw out a couple pillows a blanket, and she has peed on my parents matress so many times we have to throw that out as well. Obviously this has become a problem.
I love my cat so much and will do anything to help her. Any suggestion or answer you can provide me with is greatly appriciated.
ThankYou, Alexis

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things.

If you are seeing what looks like blood in her urine, then she may have a condition called interstitial cystitis. This is very common in cats. It is similar to a bladder infection but there is no bacteria involved. The cat has irritation and inflammation in the bladder and feels that she needs to pee all of the time. This condition is aggravated by stress.

There are a number of different things that can be done for interstitial cystitis. Many vets will prescribe an anti-anxiety medication called amitryptiline which often works well. Some cats respond to anti-inflammatory medications as well.

The first step is to have your vet check her urine to be sure that this is what the problem is. It is also possible that she has bladder stones or even an infection.

I hope she does ok!

Diarrhea and pale gums in a kitten. My cat has dirra for about two week i have notice his gum is pale pink what should... (6993 views)

Runny eyes in a persian. Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes... (13306 views)

Dog died suddenly. Dr. Marie - We had a Yorkshire Terrier (would have been 12 years old in August).... (48716 views)

Mouth infection in cat. my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting... (5809 views)

Chihuahua with hair loss. Hey Dr.Marie. I'm writing to you about my puppy chihuahua. Sooty. She has just... (6902 views)

High lipase and triglycerides. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's Vacuolar Hepatopathy... (4935 views)

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (13163 views)

Bumps near mouth and chin. My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what... (11750 views)

Grade 2 mast cell tumor. Hi, I want to adopt a 9yr old female Golden Retrever from this breeder. The breeder... (9733 views)

Scratching ears and shaking head. We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking... (5151 views)