Blood tinged urine.

Breed: household cat
Dr. Marie,

My cat does not pee in her litterbox. Instead she will pee right outside the box, and even on my parents bed! After doing some research, we thought she may be stressed out because I was gone on a vacation for a week. We thought the description fit perfectly because the article said stress in a cat can cause red tinged urine, which is also something i have noticed. So after i got back from my trip I made sure to give her extra attention, and since then I havn't noticed anymore red urine.
Yet, she still continues to pee anywhere but in the box. After doing more research I thought she may be associating unpleasant feelings with her current box. So i purchased her a brand new box, and new litter. She still pees in random places. We have had to throw out a couple pillows a blanket, and she has peed on my parents matress so many times we have to throw that out as well. Obviously this has become a problem.
I love my cat so much and will do anything to help her. Any suggestion or answer you can provide me with is greatly appriciated.
ThankYou, Alexis

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things.

If you are seeing what looks like blood in her urine, then she may have a condition called interstitial cystitis. This is very common in cats. It is similar to a bladder infection but there is no bacteria involved. The cat has irritation and inflammation in the bladder and feels that she needs to pee all of the time. This condition is aggravated by stress.

There are a number of different things that can be done for interstitial cystitis. Many vets will prescribe an anti-anxiety medication called amitryptiline which often works well. Some cats respond to anti-inflammatory medications as well.

The first step is to have your vet check her urine to be sure that this is what the problem is. It is also possible that she has bladder stones or even an infection.

I hope she does ok!

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (31686 views)

Itchy dog after flea treatment. We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (44440 views)

Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas? hello dr. marie, bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz... (7284 views)

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (10433 views)

Guinea Pig Pregnancy info. Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes... (10813 views)

Coughing older dog. Parker is a slightly smaller than average Wheaten mix who has been overweight most... (2796 views)

Kidney problem or diabetes? Hi Dr Marie, Hicks is 17 years old now. Still moderately active. 2 years ago, she... (2827 views)

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (6462 views)

Dry nose in a dog. is it normal that my 10 year old dog haves a very dry nose everytime?... (5609 views)

How to stop dog from scratching. I bought a cone for my dog because he has a sore on his eye that he keeps scratching... (12737 views)