Blood tinged urine.

Breed: household cat
Dr. Marie,

My cat does not pee in her litterbox. Instead she will pee right outside the box, and even on my parents bed! After doing some research, we thought she may be stressed out because I was gone on a vacation for a week. We thought the description fit perfectly because the article said stress in a cat can cause red tinged urine, which is also something i have noticed. So after i got back from my trip I made sure to give her extra attention, and since then I havn't noticed anymore red urine.
Yet, she still continues to pee anywhere but in the box. After doing more research I thought she may be associating unpleasant feelings with her current box. So i purchased her a brand new box, and new litter. She still pees in random places. We have had to throw out a couple pillows a blanket, and she has peed on my parents matress so many times we have to throw that out as well. Obviously this has become a problem.
I love my cat so much and will do anything to help her. Any suggestion or answer you can provide me with is greatly appriciated.
ThankYou, Alexis

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things.

If you are seeing what looks like blood in her urine, then she may have a condition called interstitial cystitis. This is very common in cats. It is similar to a bladder infection but there is no bacteria involved. The cat has irritation and inflammation in the bladder and feels that she needs to pee all of the time. This condition is aggravated by stress.

There are a number of different things that can be done for interstitial cystitis. Many vets will prescribe an anti-anxiety medication called amitryptiline which often works well. Some cats respond to anti-inflammatory medications as well.

The first step is to have your vet check her urine to be sure that this is what the problem is. It is also possible that she has bladder stones or even an infection.

I hope she does ok!

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (6243 views)

Grapeseed extract and dogs. Grape seed extract listed on some chicken jerky treats from china when looking after... (10729 views)

Clear discharge from eye. Hi there, My one year old cat has had a slight watery discharge from her left eye... (10463 views)

Cat is sneezing a lot. I have a two year old cat. I adopted her from a shelter last December. When I... (28707 views)

Frontline and Sentry? My husband put sentry flea and tick squeeze on our dog 2 days ago,and it didn;t work... (9296 views)

Large lymph nodes in a cat. My cat Miko seems to have swollen lymph nodes under her neck. They've been like that... (41803 views)

Can dogs take human antibiotics? Can dogs take human antibiotics or triple creams for... (13776 views)

Bump near anus. My dog has what looks like a pimple or maybe an ingrown hair? It's not white like a... (31012 views)

Advil for arthritis? Can you give advil or store brand anti-inflammatories for arthritis or do you have... (16278 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome hi i had my cat spayed a year ago and she went back into heat (full blown moaning... (16112 views)