Blood tinged urine.

Breed: household cat
Dr. Marie,

My cat does not pee in her litterbox. Instead she will pee right outside the box, and even on my parents bed! After doing some research, we thought she may be stressed out because I was gone on a vacation for a week. We thought the description fit perfectly because the article said stress in a cat can cause red tinged urine, which is also something i have noticed. So after i got back from my trip I made sure to give her extra attention, and since then I havn't noticed anymore red urine.
Yet, she still continues to pee anywhere but in the box. After doing more research I thought she may be associating unpleasant feelings with her current box. So i purchased her a brand new box, and new litter. She still pees in random places. We have had to throw out a couple pillows a blanket, and she has peed on my parents matress so many times we have to throw that out as well. Obviously this has become a problem.
I love my cat so much and will do anything to help her. Any suggestion or answer you can provide me with is greatly appriciated.
ThankYou, Alexis

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things.

If you are seeing what looks like blood in her urine, then she may have a condition called interstitial cystitis. This is very common in cats. It is similar to a bladder infection but there is no bacteria involved. The cat has irritation and inflammation in the bladder and feels that she needs to pee all of the time. This condition is aggravated by stress.

There are a number of different things that can be done for interstitial cystitis. Many vets will prescribe an anti-anxiety medication called amitryptiline which often works well. Some cats respond to anti-inflammatory medications as well.

The first step is to have your vet check her urine to be sure that this is what the problem is. It is also possible that she has bladder stones or even an infection.

I hope she does ok!

Human medicine for cats? Dear Whom ever it concerns, Hi my name is Lindsey. I got this stray cat 3-4 months... (12975 views)

Cat with megacolon We have a cat, Poofter, who has mega-colon. The vet prescribed Hills Prescription... (11737 views)

Puppy died suddenly. Dakota was playful, looked energetic and happy thursday morning. by dinner time the... (23857 views)

Sedation for euthanasia? My cat was recently diagnosed with tumors in his lungs.He's no longer eating on his... (12096 views)

Lump on hamster's toe. Hey! A week or 2 ago I noticed a tiny reddish pink bump on one of the toes on my... (16900 views)

Abscess? Hi Would you please be able to answer my question.. Wednesday Night I Heard two... (6934 views)

Black spot or scab on dog's nose. Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister... (37891 views)

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (85560 views)

Kittens have tapeworm. Hello, About 4-5 weeks ago I adopted 2 12 week old kittens. They are littermates... (35902 views)

Lump near nipple. Dear Dr. Marie: Hello again! I found what I think may be a lump under Jammy's... (70747 views)