Blood tinged urine.

Breed: household cat
Dr. Marie,

My cat does not pee in her litterbox. Instead she will pee right outside the box, and even on my parents bed! After doing some research, we thought she may be stressed out because I was gone on a vacation for a week. We thought the description fit perfectly because the article said stress in a cat can cause red tinged urine, which is also something i have noticed. So after i got back from my trip I made sure to give her extra attention, and since then I havn't noticed anymore red urine.
Yet, she still continues to pee anywhere but in the box. After doing more research I thought she may be associating unpleasant feelings with her current box. So i purchased her a brand new box, and new litter. She still pees in random places. We have had to throw out a couple pillows a blanket, and she has peed on my parents matress so many times we have to throw that out as well. Obviously this has become a problem.
I love my cat so much and will do anything to help her. Any suggestion or answer you can provide me with is greatly appriciated.
ThankYou, Alexis

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things.

If you are seeing what looks like blood in her urine, then she may have a condition called interstitial cystitis. This is very common in cats. It is similar to a bladder infection but there is no bacteria involved. The cat has irritation and inflammation in the bladder and feels that she needs to pee all of the time. This condition is aggravated by stress.

There are a number of different things that can be done for interstitial cystitis. Many vets will prescribe an anti-anxiety medication called amitryptiline which often works well. Some cats respond to anti-inflammatory medications as well.

The first step is to have your vet check her urine to be sure that this is what the problem is. It is also possible that she has bladder stones or even an infection.

I hope she does ok!

Urinating in home. My cat is urinating all over my home. We recently moved into it about 2 months ago.... (5955 views)

Cat fell off balcony. i was gone out of town for a couple of days and i live in the first floor up, i... (16030 views)

cat with trouble breathing I have a cat named Bunny, she is about 4 or 5 years old, she is a little over... (19752 views)

Benadryl for swollen snout? my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its... (17540 views)

Itchy on back. max is a 11yo. Boston terrier about 18pounds. He is in perfect health, according to... (7248 views)

Blood in urine. I can not afford to take her to a vet...so here I am. I have just noticed while... (7726 views)

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (7641 views)

Trouble swallowing. My 6-year-old shepherd developed a major mucus production problem in the last month.... (9982 views)

Separation anxiety. Dear Dr. Marie, My family and I adopted Champ, who is a 2 1/2 year old... (5260 views)

Bump in dog's mouth. My dog was taken for a walk her ball went under a car, she retreived her ball... (5989 views)