Blood tinged urine.

Breed: household cat
Dr. Marie,

My cat does not pee in her litterbox. Instead she will pee right outside the box, and even on my parents bed! After doing some research, we thought she may be stressed out because I was gone on a vacation for a week. We thought the description fit perfectly because the article said stress in a cat can cause red tinged urine, which is also something i have noticed. So after i got back from my trip I made sure to give her extra attention, and since then I havn't noticed anymore red urine.
Yet, she still continues to pee anywhere but in the box. After doing more research I thought she may be associating unpleasant feelings with her current box. So i purchased her a brand new box, and new litter. She still pees in random places. We have had to throw out a couple pillows a blanket, and she has peed on my parents matress so many times we have to throw that out as well. Obviously this has become a problem.
I love my cat so much and will do anything to help her. Any suggestion or answer you can provide me with is greatly appriciated.
ThankYou, Alexis

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things.

If you are seeing what looks like blood in her urine, then she may have a condition called interstitial cystitis. This is very common in cats. It is similar to a bladder infection but there is no bacteria involved. The cat has irritation and inflammation in the bladder and feels that she needs to pee all of the time. This condition is aggravated by stress.

There are a number of different things that can be done for interstitial cystitis. Many vets will prescribe an anti-anxiety medication called amitryptiline which often works well. Some cats respond to anti-inflammatory medications as well.

The first step is to have your vet check her urine to be sure that this is what the problem is. It is also possible that she has bladder stones or even an infection.

I hope she does ok!

Does high pitch affect seizures? Hello there, I've been living with my roommate for a year and her dog barks at me... (8419 views)

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (17631 views)

Frontline and bathing. Hi Dr. Marie, I applied Frontline Plus to my puppy the same day that he had a... (14898 views)

Bloated and leaking urine. This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night... (13986 views)

Tumor on spinal cord. My dog is diagnosed with cancer. An NMR has been done. The tumor is affecting his... (3375 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog is a mutt, 14yrs old, and has been acting strangely as of late. She doesn't... (7443 views)

Dog is obsessively licking at things. Hello. I have a question about my dog. I think she's experienced some tummy... (4234 views)

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (3022 views)

Rash on Daschund My dog has a very red rash on her lower abdominal area and vaginal area. She bites... (8267 views)

Dog pooping and peeing in house. why does my dog poo or pee when i leeve her out in the house at night ??? when i... (6539 views)