Lump on dog's head.

Breed: German Shepherd Mix
Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind eyes on top of head) it was too small to get a look at it by moving his hair back....but it is getting bigger and now I can move his hair back to see it is a red bump. Doesn't seem to be anything coming out of it, picture is included. What could this be? Badger has no health issues....

Thanks for sending me a picture of this lump:

red lump on dog's head

There are several things that this could be. It could be a wart and if this is the case it's nothing to worry about.

It could be something called a histiocytoma. A histiocytoma is a benign lump that comes up quickly, stays for a few months and then just goes away. It is nothing to worry about either.

It could be something more serious called a mast cell tumor. A mast cell tumor should be surgically removed as some of them can be very serious.

Or it could be a cyst which again is nothing to worry about.

Because this is growing rapidly, I would recommend that you have a vet take a look. They will likely do a test called a fine needle aspirate where they put a small needle in and take some cells out. Dogs tolerate this really well. They'll look at the cells under the microscope and determine what it is.

My gut instinct is that it is probably nothing to be concerned about but I still think it should be looked at.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Dr. Marie, thank you.... when I got home my husband let me know that it "popped" and was a white - yellow tint puss that came out.

That's a good sign! That makes me think more of a cyst and much less of a mast cell tumor.

It could also be a little infected wound as well.

It's not as urgent now to get it checked out. But, if it is still growing by next week or if there is more pus/yellow debris in the next day or two then I would have your vet take a look.

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (13832 views)

Why did 15 year old dog die? Hello, My dog was 15 years old and she just recently died last thursday. My mother... (12606 views)

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (3775 views)

congested kitten Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on &... (9164 views)

Hair loss around eyes. Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the... (11902 views)

Dog with large tumor on neck. My Dog Re has a large Growth on hes neck, we live 100kms from any vet so with hes... (32854 views)

Dog is limping. Denaro has had a limp in his left front leg for about a month, it goes from a... (11920 views)

Does Vick's Vapo rub help cat's breathing? My vet says my cat has a sinus tumor and a Iwas wondering if vicks would help him to... (33478 views)

Infected spay incision? Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps... (11735 views)

Hair loss on a boxer. I've had Kizzie for two years. She's a vibrant and playful dog. Recently, I've... (11008 views)