Lump on dog's head.

Breed: German Shepherd Mix
Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind eyes on top of head) it was too small to get a look at it by moving his hair back....but it is getting bigger and now I can move his hair back to see it is a red bump. Doesn't seem to be anything coming out of it, picture is included. What could this be? Badger has no health issues....

Thanks for sending me a picture of this lump:

red lump on dog's head

There are several things that this could be. It could be a wart and if this is the case it's nothing to worry about.

It could be something called a histiocytoma. A histiocytoma is a benign lump that comes up quickly, stays for a few months and then just goes away. It is nothing to worry about either.

It could be something more serious called a mast cell tumor. A mast cell tumor should be surgically removed as some of them can be very serious.

Or it could be a cyst which again is nothing to worry about.

Because this is growing rapidly, I would recommend that you have a vet take a look. They will likely do a test called a fine needle aspirate where they put a small needle in and take some cells out. Dogs tolerate this really well. They'll look at the cells under the microscope and determine what it is.

My gut instinct is that it is probably nothing to be concerned about but I still think it should be looked at.

Dr. Marie, thank you.... when I got home my husband let me know that it "popped" and was a white - yellow tint puss that came out.

That's a good sign! That makes me think more of a cyst and much less of a mast cell tumor.

It could also be a little infected wound as well.

It's not as urgent now to get it checked out. But, if it is still growing by next week or if there is more pus/yellow debris in the next day or two then I would have your vet take a look.

High liver enzymes. He has had major allergy problems since April 2010. He is seeing both holistic and... (16646 views)

Dog ate food with onions. my dog ate cut up sausage but it had onion,will he get sick... (7202 views)

Sick after having puppies. I have an important question about my dog. She had puppies 2 weeks ago and suddenly... (7604 views)

Full anal glands. full anal... (5078 views)

Immodium overdose? I may have overdosed my chihuahua on immodium ad yesterday. I gave her a humans dose... (11024 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (5101 views)

Peeing outside of box. My cat is spayed female,indoor/outdoor as she wishes. She will defecate in litter... (5406 views)

Constipated kittens. I am fostering 5 kittens. I think they are about 5 weeks old. They still cannot use... (6438 views)

Where can I buy Tramadol? Steve has a degenerative disease.He is doing well.I give him steroids almost every... (30275 views)

Dog ate fertilizer. Hi Dr. Marie, Jake, a 25 lb Border Collie mix ate a small amount of a grass... (38389 views)