Lump on dog's head.

Breed: German Shepherd Mix
Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind eyes on top of head) it was too small to get a look at it by moving his hair back....but it is getting bigger and now I can move his hair back to see it is a red bump. Doesn't seem to be anything coming out of it, picture is included. What could this be? Badger has no health issues....

Thanks for sending me a picture of this lump:

red lump on dog's head

There are several things that this could be. It could be a wart and if this is the case it's nothing to worry about.

It could be something called a histiocytoma. A histiocytoma is a benign lump that comes up quickly, stays for a few months and then just goes away. It is nothing to worry about either.

It could be something more serious called a mast cell tumor. A mast cell tumor should be surgically removed as some of them can be very serious.

Or it could be a cyst which again is nothing to worry about.

Because this is growing rapidly, I would recommend that you have a vet take a look. They will likely do a test called a fine needle aspirate where they put a small needle in and take some cells out. Dogs tolerate this really well. They'll look at the cells under the microscope and determine what it is.

My gut instinct is that it is probably nothing to be concerned about but I still think it should be looked at.

Dr. Marie, thank you.... when I got home my husband let me know that it "popped" and was a white - yellow tint puss that came out.

That's a good sign! That makes me think more of a cyst and much less of a mast cell tumor.

It could also be a little infected wound as well.

It's not as urgent now to get it checked out. But, if it is still growing by next week or if there is more pus/yellow debris in the next day or two then I would have your vet take a look.

Low protein and leaking urine. A German Shepherd mix, approximately 4-6 years old, was dropped off and we started... (3464 views)

Hyperthyroidism and stress. My cat Harry, who is approximately 12 years old, was just diagnosed with... (6213 views)

Cushing's and panting. I saw where you advised a person on dog breathing problems, that is could be... (24855 views)

Chemical castration of dogs. What would be the benefits of Zinc neutering using Zinc Gluconate offered by Ark... (9606 views)

Pass away at home? Potter is almost 13. About 4 months ago he was diagnosed with diabetes and we... (5668 views)

Possible diabetes My cat is very thirsty, he will run to the bathroom counter for a drink of water, he... (6027 views)

Pregnancy question. My golden retriver mated with my chiuahuh and the chihuhah is pregnat would i need... (7141 views)

Low fat foods and tripe for pancreatitis. My 3 yr old Golden who was on Orijen for 2 years had a pancreatitis attack about 6... (18076 views)

Lumps on cat's abdomen. Cubbie recently (1 week) developed two fibrous (?) lumps, one on each side of her... (14162 views)

Cat drooling a lot. emmy has started to drool as of last night. she is drooling a lot. she has never... (132899 views)