Lump on dog's head.

Breed: German Shepherd Mix
Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind eyes on top of head) it was too small to get a look at it by moving his hair back....but it is getting bigger and now I can move his hair back to see it is a red bump. Doesn't seem to be anything coming out of it, picture is included. What could this be? Badger has no health issues....

Thanks for sending me a picture of this lump:

red lump on dog's head

There are several things that this could be. It could be a wart and if this is the case it's nothing to worry about.

It could be something called a histiocytoma. A histiocytoma is a benign lump that comes up quickly, stays for a few months and then just goes away. It is nothing to worry about either.

It could be something more serious called a mast cell tumor. A mast cell tumor should be surgically removed as some of them can be very serious.

Or it could be a cyst which again is nothing to worry about.

Because this is growing rapidly, I would recommend that you have a vet take a look. They will likely do a test called a fine needle aspirate where they put a small needle in and take some cells out. Dogs tolerate this really well. They'll look at the cells under the microscope and determine what it is.

My gut instinct is that it is probably nothing to be concerned about but I still think it should be looked at.

Dr. Marie, thank you.... when I got home my husband let me know that it "popped" and was a white - yellow tint puss that came out.

That's a good sign! That makes me think more of a cyst and much less of a mast cell tumor.

It could also be a little infected wound as well.

It's not as urgent now to get it checked out. But, if it is still growing by next week or if there is more pus/yellow debris in the next day or two then I would have your vet take a look.

How long does a dog stay in heat? How long does she stay in heat? and how often? thanks have a blessed... (10807 views)

Cat puffing its hair out. Is there other reasons besides a cat trying to make itself look big for a fight that... (17369 views)

Biopsy? Dr, As you know Max has been having issues with vomiting and soft stools. 9... (10826 views)

Pocket pets and cats. I have been considering adding a small pocket pet as a companion to my home. I... (5053 views)

Parvo and hookworms. Last Monday, I got this puppy, a miniature doxen. Well, the first few days he was a... (26992 views)

Multiple mast cell tumors. Hi Marie, it says that my question has been answered, but I do not know how to... (21507 views)

Diarrhea and large abdomen. My 5 yr old DSH has been acting weird for the last 2 days. He had foamy,watery... (11622 views)

Cat died. Dear Doctor Haynes, I started looking after a stray young tomcat (who I presume... (9013 views)

Fluid in chest? My dog has been having this weird breathing issue where whenever he lays down it... (15461 views)

Shaking after grooming. Millie is an otherwise healthy 8 year old Bijon Poo. Don't know if this is related,... (48002 views)