Dog ate dark chocolate.

Breed: Maltese Mix
My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one regular special dark Hershey bar. Is this enough to be dangerous?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Chocolate Toxicity Calculator
Can my dog eat this?

Hi there. How long ago did Munchie eat these? And is he or she acting unusual at all?

Within the last 45 minutes. Not seeing any unusual activity. He's actually sitting with my wife and daughter.

I just looked up these chocolate bars for you. A regular sized Hershey bar contains 41g of chocolate. I used the Chocolate Toxicity Calculator to determine whether this is a dangerous amount of chocolate.

According to the calculator (which I programmed myself), if a 12 pound dog eats 41g of dark chocolate there is the potential for severe toxicity. This is before we even consider the baby ruth and the butterfinger!

Those two chocolate bars are likely more sugar than chocolate. However, I'm really concerned for Munchie.

I've seen some dogs who eat a potentially lethal dose of chocolate who just don't seem to ever get affected by the chocolate. However, I've seen other dogs die because of what they have eaten. The chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine and these two ingredients can cause serious heart rhythm problems and possibly seizures. We don't always see the symptoms right away.

This is a situation where I would highly advise an emergency visit to your veterinarian immediately. They will induce vomiting and likely will give medication to help the body fight the effects of the chocolate and keep the body from absorbing more.

If you get to speak to your vet on the phone you can ask their opinion on whether or not you should induce vomiting at home with hydrogen peroxide. If you are able to get in right away it's usually best to have your vet do this as there can be risks associated with making a dog vomit with hydrogen peroxide.

I really hope everything is ok!

I will be online for just a few minutes more, but if you have more questions let me know.

Thank you very much. You confirmed what I suspected.

OK, please let me know how things work out! To ease your mind a little, I find that a lot of chocolate that is labelled as "dark" really isn't much more than milk. And if that's the case he should really be fine. However, I would still recommend the visit!

Thanks! Have a good evening. My wife is on the phone with the vet now.

...And they are on their way. Luckily it's two miles to the vet and he's waiting for her.

Great! Please do let me know how things work out. I'm heading to bed now but I will definitely check in on your question in the morning.

They induced vomitting and have him for observation for 48 hours.

Dr. Marie,

Just wanted to give you an update. Munchie is doing very well. He's taken to the medicine they gave him to neutrelize the chocolate and they've seen no signs of adverse effects. He's spending one more night at the vet's office getting fluid and observation but will be home tomorrow afternoon.

Chad

Thank you for the update. I'm so glad everything is ok!

Dog cowers and pees. my dog seems afraid of me when i call her over she cowers and pees when she walks... (15138 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (21757 views)

Vet was rough with my cat. I'm curious as to the process of applying anesthetic to a cat. Namely I witnessed my... (10741 views)

Lung problem in dog. Our cuddly Walter had "kennel cough" several times throughout his life (about 5),... (8101 views)

Ear problems in a cat. I adopted my cat Fudge from a shelter when he was 9. He came with a host of... (11834 views)

Tylosin responsive diarrhea. In another posting on this site you mention giving tylosin daily in "tiny amounts"... (8854 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will... (13840 views)

Dog chewing feet. I was told that if your irishwolfhound chew his back paws this means a heart... (12657 views)

Questions about cryptosporidium. Vet told me dog has cryptosporidium She had diarrehea and vomit but lasted 24 hours... (30959 views)

Why did my cat die? my cat was fine one day and the next he stopped everything he only walked when... (11782 views)