Dog ate dark chocolate.

Breed: Maltese Mix
My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one regular special dark Hershey bar. Is this enough to be dangerous?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Chocolate Toxicity Calculator
Can my dog eat this?

Hi there. How long ago did Munchie eat these? And is he or she acting unusual at all?

Within the last 45 minutes. Not seeing any unusual activity. He's actually sitting with my wife and daughter.

I just looked up these chocolate bars for you. A regular sized Hershey bar contains 41g of chocolate. I used the Chocolate Toxicity Calculator to determine whether this is a dangerous amount of chocolate.

According to the calculator (which I programmed myself), if a 12 pound dog eats 41g of dark chocolate there is the potential for severe toxicity. This is before we even consider the baby ruth and the butterfinger!

Those two chocolate bars are likely more sugar than chocolate. However, I'm really concerned for Munchie.

I've seen some dogs who eat a potentially lethal dose of chocolate who just don't seem to ever get affected by the chocolate. However, I've seen other dogs die because of what they have eaten. The chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine and these two ingredients can cause serious heart rhythm problems and possibly seizures. We don't always see the symptoms right away.

This is a situation where I would highly advise an emergency visit to your veterinarian immediately. They will induce vomiting and likely will give medication to help the body fight the effects of the chocolate and keep the body from absorbing more.

If you get to speak to your vet on the phone you can ask their opinion on whether or not you should induce vomiting at home with hydrogen peroxide. If you are able to get in right away it's usually best to have your vet do this as there can be risks associated with making a dog vomit with hydrogen peroxide.

I really hope everything is ok!

I will be online for just a few minutes more, but if you have more questions let me know.

Thank you very much. You confirmed what I suspected.

OK, please let me know how things work out! To ease your mind a little, I find that a lot of chocolate that is labelled as "dark" really isn't much more than milk. And if that's the case he should really be fine. However, I would still recommend the visit!

Thanks! Have a good evening. My wife is on the phone with the vet now.

...And they are on their way. Luckily it's two miles to the vet and he's waiting for her.

Great! Please do let me know how things work out. I'm heading to bed now but I will definitely check in on your question in the morning.

They induced vomitting and have him for observation for 48 hours.

Dr. Marie,

Just wanted to give you an update. Munchie is doing very well. He's taken to the medicine they gave him to neutrelize the chocolate and they've seen no signs of adverse effects. He's spending one more night at the vet's office getting fluid and observation but will be home tomorrow afternoon.

Chad

Thank you for the update. I'm so glad everything is ok!

19 year old cat died. My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of... (8509 views)

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (6378 views)

Diethylene glycol in chicken jerky. Do you know of any of the Chicken Jerky do treats that are made in China, has been... (5490 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (10712 views)

Coconut milk for dogs. Okay my dog has suffered colitis since he was a pup, numerous vets said his food was... (110893 views)

Dog in heat a long time. i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she... (18619 views)

calamine lotion on dogs Doeden has a itchy rash, raised pale bumps, on the back of his neck; I put on some... (93702 views)

Vet didn't ask my permission. I came home to find my beloved cat unable to stand (seemed drunken) and felt cooler... (8884 views)

Dog has a bald patch over eye. Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect... (14410 views)

Charcoal briquette My Yorkie, male-6 pounds, was in the garden where my husband threw burn,... (38656 views)