Dog ate dark chocolate.

Breed: Maltese Mix
My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one regular special dark Hershey bar. Is this enough to be dangerous?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Chocolate Toxicity Calculator
Can my dog eat this?

Hi there. How long ago did Munchie eat these? And is he or she acting unusual at all?

Within the last 45 minutes. Not seeing any unusual activity. He's actually sitting with my wife and daughter.

I just looked up these chocolate bars for you. A regular sized Hershey bar contains 41g of chocolate. I used the Chocolate Toxicity Calculator to determine whether this is a dangerous amount of chocolate.

According to the calculator (which I programmed myself), if a 12 pound dog eats 41g of dark chocolate there is the potential for severe toxicity. This is before we even consider the baby ruth and the butterfinger!

Those two chocolate bars are likely more sugar than chocolate. However, I'm really concerned for Munchie.

I've seen some dogs who eat a potentially lethal dose of chocolate who just don't seem to ever get affected by the chocolate. However, I've seen other dogs die because of what they have eaten. The chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine and these two ingredients can cause serious heart rhythm problems and possibly seizures. We don't always see the symptoms right away.

This is a situation where I would highly advise an emergency visit to your veterinarian immediately. They will induce vomiting and likely will give medication to help the body fight the effects of the chocolate and keep the body from absorbing more.

If you get to speak to your vet on the phone you can ask their opinion on whether or not you should induce vomiting at home with hydrogen peroxide. If you are able to get in right away it's usually best to have your vet do this as there can be risks associated with making a dog vomit with hydrogen peroxide.

I really hope everything is ok!

I will be online for just a few minutes more, but if you have more questions let me know.

Thank you very much. You confirmed what I suspected.

OK, please let me know how things work out! To ease your mind a little, I find that a lot of chocolate that is labelled as "dark" really isn't much more than milk. And if that's the case he should really be fine. However, I would still recommend the visit!

Thanks! Have a good evening. My wife is on the phone with the vet now.

...And they are on their way. Luckily it's two miles to the vet and he's waiting for her.

Great! Please do let me know how things work out. I'm heading to bed now but I will definitely check in on your question in the morning.

They induced vomitting and have him for observation for 48 hours.

Dr. Marie,

Just wanted to give you an update. Munchie is doing very well. He's taken to the medicine they gave him to neutrelize the chocolate and they've seen no signs of adverse effects. He's spending one more night at the vet's office getting fluid and observation but will be home tomorrow afternoon.

Chad

Thank you for the update. I'm so glad everything is ok!

Diarrhea and lump on face. My dog is a female Husky, 12 years old, 45 pounds. She had severe diarrhea... (10016 views)

Clindamycin overdose? I have been caring for Sox, a feral. Awhile back Sox started coughing on and off... (7794 views)

Crusty scab on cat. Last week I noticed a bare patch of skin on the back of my cat's neck about the size... (10482 views)

Swollen ear flap. i have a dog named shiloh and something is wrong with his ear and i just need to... (11160 views)

Does Hartz flea treatment work? My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it... (15511 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (6957 views)

Dog suddenly paralyzed. My beloved Pug, Newt, passed away last October.She was 12 years old. She developed a... (44230 views)

Snapping noise in joints. Doctor, We have two labs (chocolate, and black). They love to run, fetch, play, and... (13041 views)

Not eating and very weak. Our dog has been quite sick for a bit over a week now. We live on a small island in... (56705 views)

ibuprofen for arthritis? my dog seems to have problems sometimes when getting up from a short or long rest,... (8830 views)