Dog ate dark chocolate.

Breed: Maltese Mix
My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one regular special dark Hershey bar. Is this enough to be dangerous?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Chocolate Toxicity Calculator
Can my dog eat this?

Hi there. How long ago did Munchie eat these? And is he or she acting unusual at all?

Within the last 45 minutes. Not seeing any unusual activity. He's actually sitting with my wife and daughter.

I just looked up these chocolate bars for you. A regular sized Hershey bar contains 41g of chocolate. I used the Chocolate Toxicity Calculator to determine whether this is a dangerous amount of chocolate.

According to the calculator (which I programmed myself), if a 12 pound dog eats 41g of dark chocolate there is the potential for severe toxicity. This is before we even consider the baby ruth and the butterfinger!

Those two chocolate bars are likely more sugar than chocolate. However, I'm really concerned for Munchie.

I've seen some dogs who eat a potentially lethal dose of chocolate who just don't seem to ever get affected by the chocolate. However, I've seen other dogs die because of what they have eaten. The chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine and these two ingredients can cause serious heart rhythm problems and possibly seizures. We don't always see the symptoms right away.

This is a situation where I would highly advise an emergency visit to your veterinarian immediately. They will induce vomiting and likely will give medication to help the body fight the effects of the chocolate and keep the body from absorbing more.

If you get to speak to your vet on the phone you can ask their opinion on whether or not you should induce vomiting at home with hydrogen peroxide. If you are able to get in right away it's usually best to have your vet do this as there can be risks associated with making a dog vomit with hydrogen peroxide.

I really hope everything is ok!

I will be online for just a few minutes more, but if you have more questions let me know.

Thank you very much. You confirmed what I suspected.

OK, please let me know how things work out! To ease your mind a little, I find that a lot of chocolate that is labelled as "dark" really isn't much more than milk. And if that's the case he should really be fine. However, I would still recommend the visit!

Thanks! Have a good evening. My wife is on the phone with the vet now.

...And they are on their way. Luckily it's two miles to the vet and he's waiting for her.

Great! Please do let me know how things work out. I'm heading to bed now but I will definitely check in on your question in the morning.

They induced vomitting and have him for observation for 48 hours.

Dr. Marie,

Just wanted to give you an update. Munchie is doing very well. He's taken to the medicine they gave him to neutrelize the chocolate and they've seen no signs of adverse effects. He's spending one more night at the vet's office getting fluid and observation but will be home tomorrow afternoon.

Chad

Thank you for the update. I'm so glad everything is ok!

Is parvo contagious? I am sorry to have to ask this for free. I have been unemployed for over a year now.... (8832 views)

Click in dog's elbow. Hi Dr. I've noticed that sometimes Max's right elbow will creak as he bends it.... (12846 views)

Trembling head - distemper? Hi there This is the issue with my little puppy. I picked him up alone from... (7015 views)

Dog pooping and peeing in house. why does my dog poo or pee when i leeve her out in the house at night ??? when i... (9115 views)

Kitten with white gums. My kitten is 8 weeks old she just wants to lay around she was playing with the other... (21698 views)

Dog looks depressed. Hello, Dr. My dog is pretty active but he usually looks "depressed" out of the... (8593 views)

Maggots in guinea pig cage. Dr. Marie, I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem... (20141 views)

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (10951 views)

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (64526 views)

Heart medication questions. My dog’s name is Yoda. He is 16 years old. But for his heart, he is in good... (5254 views)